• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

dropping 2 unit maths to general.... (1 Viewer)

7th Sign

HSC
ok tomorrow me and 3 of my mates are dropping maths from 2 unit to general because like we all did shit as in the 2 unit test.....is this a bad thing to drop like will i have no opportunity for a job in the future or will I not be able to get into uni :( please give me some feedback....lata

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
lmao dude, first of all RELAX, maths isn't compulsory for a reason, however don't drop from 2 unit to general, I'd focus on other things that I could do with my time, maybe maths just isnt your thing, u need to consider the fact that not doing maths doesn't mean not getting into uni. It's just another subject ultimately.

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
from my POV, if i were to drop from 2u maths i wouldn't just drop to general but i'd drop it altogether. general has crap scaling and i think you should still stay in 2u, you can always improve your maths, just practice practice practice ;)

7th Sign

HSC
hmm im soo lost for what to do.......ild rather get like 80% in general then get 20% in 2 unit.....

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
basically it depends on how crap ur going to do in 2u if you dont drop. as nick1048 said you can improve your marks. you have to do really well in general around 85-90% for it to really do anything with your UAI, which of course brings the option that belly_moo suggested and just dropping maths altogether. it's not necessarily a bad thing to drop to general, but you will have to do well

a8o

HSC
belly_moo said:
from my POV, if i were to drop from 2u maths i wouldn't just drop to general but i'd drop it altogether. general has crap scaling and i think you should still stay in 2u, you can always improve your maths, just practice practice practice ;)
I've just that. My last exam scored 50% in my 2u maths, however, that required a great deal of work and the result didn't seem too me to be a great payoff considering my strengths in other subjects and the fact that by using more of my time elsewhere, I could get my marks up there. Depends how you're doing otherwise, I reckon. Maths was just going to be a dead weight for me and by picking up 3U history and dropping maths, I trim a unit for my workload too. I took 13 units, now 11 until Ext History comes in.

I didn't see any point in doing General and when I went through the formalities of dropping a subject, I wasn't advised to keep maths either. It just depends on what you want to do and whether you think maths is important.

7th Sign

HSC
hmm ill most probly just drop to general and work hard get like 90% ..... im soo not getting like 20% aggain......

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'd drop to general. general maths is better than no maths ... and general isn't that bad ... i did it last year. It might come in useful one day.

Scanorama

HSC
I got 35% in my Year 11 yearly last year my rank was 16/37, not a bad one but it's just so many works and I didn't understand it at all.

True, General's scaling is crap, but if you intend to go to uni then general is better than no maths. The good thing with General is you can spread out your time for other subjects as well which in the end, you may get a better marks across all subjects. I've done ok in the last 4 terms in general and getting 80%+ is not impossible. My trial mark was 82%, trial rank: 1/51, final rank: 1/51. I highly doubt I would get the same if I'm still doing 2 units maths.

Depends on what you want to do in Uni, courses such as Maths, engineer do expect you to study 2 Units maths but others such as Science, Computer Science and lots more courses don't require that, General Maths is perfectly fine :)

Don't worry about the scaling. If you do badly in a subject, even with the best scaling ever, you will still get a very low mark. However if you do very good in a subject, even with the worst scaling ever, you will still get a very high mark. Do the subject you like and you will get a good mark but not based on the scaling.

Hope this helps and good luck with your study in your HSC.

7th Sign

HSC
thanks Gough Whitlam for the advice and to all the other people i am deffiently going to drop :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
i'm sure that general is much more enjoyable than 2 unit. I know that general maths was actually kinda fun when i did it.

OMG I'm totally in the same dilemma

Maths just isn't my subject - i hate it- i just don't try

i'm doing mathematics 2 unit at the moment and i'm going pretty crap

but so is the rest of my class.............

and basically i could go a whole lot better if i put some effort in

but i'm considering doing general cos i know i could definitely get 95% +

should i ?? i mean compared to 40 - 60% results in maths !!

i just wanna do like communications or arts at uni anyway so it wouldn't matter what maths i do anyway - would it?

someone help!!1 :eek:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If its not too late to change ... by all means change. Its no point doing a subject which u don't enjoy and aren't getting good marks.

even though i have no idea who you are ........you seem very keen to get me out of maths .....or is it just my imagination! :eek:

Scanorama

HSC
reformskoolgirl if you think you can do very good at General and crap in 2 units maths then GO FOR IT. There is no point to stay in 2U when you don't like the subject. As I said before, the scaling doesn't matter, the most important factor to consider is would you do well in that subject in your HSC. If your answer is yes then keep 2U; if you answer is no then drop to General. The course will just getting harder in Year 12, and you might end up getting a higher UAI than those doing 2U.

40%-60% in 2U maths test isn't that bad, almost everyone failed their yearly in my class last year.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
nah ... general is just more applicable to everyday life than what 2 unit is.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Afterour half yearlies I did "the dream." I dropped from 2unit to general. If you need a maths subject, just do general...its much better than 2unit, and still counts as an actuall maths subject. I was coming 30/30 in 2unit, now I'm coming 5/70 in general.

The choice is just up to you!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)