• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dropping subjects? (1 Viewer)

Yuekiko

HSC
Blaargh my subject selections form are due in on Tuesday D|
Right now subjects I'd like to do are:
Adv Eng (2 unit)
Ext 1 Maths (3 unit)
Physics (2 unit)
Chemistry (2 unit)
Japanese (2 unit)
SDD (2 unit)
Modern History (2 unit)
Textiles (2 unit)

My question is - is it reccomended to do subjects that you only want to do for prelim but not for yr 12 HSC? So I've got 17 units lined up for Yr 11 & I will probably drop Textiles & another subject (depending on how prelim goes).
I'm not sure if this a correct interpretation; but is Yr 11 sort of like a test/experiment year where you can try a lot of subjects & Yr 12 where you only do the subjects that you need to do?

Any opinions, thoughts on my subject choices would also be awesome :)

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Will your school let you do 17 units?

Mine could only timetable 14 at most so anything over that would have to be done by correspondence and would also leave no free periods at school plus extra time needed to be allocated away from school to the extra three units.

Gigacube

HSC
17 units is way too much in my opinion! It is recommended you pick subjects that you would like to do in your HSC, not prelim. With some subjects the prelim course may also carry on to the HSC one & you might not be able to pick up another subject due to this. Year 11 is to get you ready for your HSC & it shouldn't be used as an experiment year.
I recommend that you drop to 12-14 units.
The work load in year 11 increases & your not going to be able to cope with 17 units.

Yuekiko

HSC
Will your school let you do 17 units?

Mine could only timetable 14 at most so anything over that would have to be done by correspondence and would also leave no free periods at school plus extra time needed to be allocated away from school to the extra three units.
Lol not sure - I didn't think of that.

Well, I'm already doing SDD currently as I'm accelerating (so next year SDD will be outside my time table anyway) so I'd technically have a 15 unit timetable at most.

But you guys are probably right - it is a bit much. Right now it's a tie between Chem & Modern History. My main concern is maybe I'm doing too many sci/math subjects and should balance it more. Then I'll be doing 13 units.

Gigacube

HSC
That's good your able to get one subject out of the way.

It really doesn't matter if you've got too many sci/maths subjects. Do what your best at & you'll achieve higher. If you do chemistry it will open up a lot more career paths than modern history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)