• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ebay (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
i havnt used ebay before but recently been lookin at the site, im wondering, how safe is it? like ive heard some stories of ppl being ripped of etc..so yea how safe is Ebay Australia, and those who use it, how long does it take to get your stuff, eg.if ur orderin from Ebay Australia, and also if it says brand new etc..is the product really new or just a lie?

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
My family and friends use it - as long as you research the buyer (% of negative comments, et cetera), you should be fine. Look at their other auctions, and make sure they're from a respectable country.

Also, make sure you email them to confirm any details.

Clapton

HSC
ok cool, i wanted to use it cause ive seen heaps cheaper Distortion pedals on the site than if i were to buy em in a store..how long does it take usually to receive the goods?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I've never been ripped off. Like everything on the internet, you should look into anything before giving people your money.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
i use ebay. i've never had any probs and i bought a $700 phone, a $400 mp3 player and a whole heap more crap on there. usually it's best if you buy things from people within australia, and that the items are located in australia cos sometimes you can get hit by customs and import duty if they come from overseas. look at the seller's feedback rating, and the % of positive ratings. ask any questions before the end of the aution.

if you're buying something expensive, some sellers will allow you to use Cash On Delivery, which costs around $20 more, but then you only pay for it when you pick it up at the post office. However, a lot of people won't accept this, cos it takes ages for them to get the money back. using escrow is pretty safe too, but again not many people use it.

just basically make sure you do your research, and that the seller is someone who you can trust. if not, ebay has a claims form you can fill in if you never recieve something. oh and always go insured and registered post... australia post sucks too much not to!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Ebay is gone now finished most of the prices are like 10% cheaper and they are used and dont have warranties. its better to buy from the shops!

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
It's safe just read feedback comments of other people if you wish to buy off them.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Dont forget, graysonline, nickit, and sold. Unpopular auction places are good place to grab a bargain.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Murf said:
Evidently you arent looking hard enough...and are wrong

im sure www.google.com.au have guides on how to use ebay ;)

Murf
No i think YOUR Wrong! maybe you should spend some time going to the shops and bargaining!

Like of mp3 players are like way more expenisiv or slightly cheaper, i would only buy it if less than 50% -- cos you cant focken return and shit. Buy from the shop you get warranty, support and so on. Dude Ebay was awesome years ago a nd now its shit!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67834&item=5789204062&rd=1

thats $300 for mini ipod what a focken rip off!

According to tat rrp is $360, chances are the bid will go up lets say $330. Thats about 10% cheaper, but hang on its another $20 for shipping, so its focken ridiculous.Its says its new and one year warrranty but thats it.

look around on the net (not in ebay) you can get if for $350 new from actual shop. Go to myers or something and you can fix it up for $330, if you are good!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
HotShot said:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67834&item=5789204062&rd=1

thats $300 for mini ipod what a focken rip off!

According to tat rrp is $360, chances are the bid will go up lets say $330. Thats about 10% cheaper, but hang on its another $20 for shipping, so its focken ridiculous.Its says its new and one year warrranty but thats it.

look around on the net (not in ebay) you can get if for $350 new from actual shop. Go to myers or something and you can fix it up for $330, if you are good!
Take it from someone who has brought and sold items on ebay:
That for started is a in demand brand name item...EBAY isnt good for everything but honestly use your common sense...its just like shopping at the shops, shop around and look for the best deal, there are a lot of barginsbut done expect them to jump out and say "here I am"

Caveat Emptor

HotShot

-_-
HSC
they are two posts and they are not going to be the same! stupi dcomment "splitmpersonalities'.

I have bought stuff on ebay but havent sold any. The things i have bought have been well researched (otherwise i might as well not buy it). But my main point is Ebay was better before, a couple of years ago, now its basically shit! And there is very little to prove it isnt.

you have to make generalisations, ppl have ripped off by Ebay, mr friend bough 3 phone at a reasonable and didnt receive for like three weeks the dude selling was in melbourne. But generally the prices are crap, and its not worth it. ppl are selling shit for less than $10 and you pay more for handling1 Of course some pay the handling for you, but most dont. The MAJORITY of prices are not worth buying. You havent send anything about why its good?

By the way most products are like that, they wont just wholesale you the stock, their image is at risk, iriver, sony are all like soo what is basically irrelvant.

Isnt it a hassle to retiurn something in adelaide if you live sydney (if you can return it)? is it worth the time?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Meh, I bought a graphics card off Ebay which is not in production anymore at a pretty cheap price and was delievered to me express post the day after I paid the guy. It's good if you know what you want.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Murf said:
In fact there is very little to prove that it is! except that minor issue that the company has been bigger and stronger then years ago in terms of its billion dollar profits and millions and millions of auction and sale items every day, accoross the world and through many countries.

Umm yes duh, people have been ripped off by stores! happens all the time.
with ebay they actually offer insurance? did u know that? i doubt it, further more if you end up without a product they will give u money to try and compensate for it, after they have inveisgated the claims... i think its up to $600

again thats no true either, some major brands are a lot harder then others, but then again there are lots of wholsalers and distributers will gladly supply to you as long as you purchase enough, they really dont care where your selling the products.

Hmm lets see

- The prices
- the conveience
- the range of products available
- the range of different brands available
- some products not available in AUS
- price comparision issues and functionality
- many different sellers in one location, promotes competition.= lower prices
- the regulation by ebay helps the environment be a lot more secure then say a unregulated site.

wow not three weeks! that clearly is a HUGE rip off to the consumer the seller must have been up to something really really bad there ;)

yes but many people are prepared to subsitute costs when buying the product with the hassel that the product may have to be shipped back to where it was sent from. But your also forgetting the fact that if there is a problem with a certain product often it can be returned to a LOCAL service center, as long as you have your recipt which the seller should issue you with your product and it will be fixed.

murf
mot of the time its not convienient, my friends used to buy stuff on ebay but now they rather go down to the local store where they can the product themselves and hassle? rather auction!

the prices as i said are majorly not worth it. pretty cheap?= does not eual cheap!
I mean there are some goods that are cheap but not as many as there were before.
As for products not availavle in aus is probably a plus for ebay though there are other shops online that do sell cheap but i dont know their reliability. Ebay has improved competition and probable explains why it is no longer as cheap as common shops nowadays. There are benefit, but my main point Ebay was better a couple of years ago than say today!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)