• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Economics or commerce? (2 Viewers)

#goodo#

HSC
hey, i'm just finishing up my hsc this year and weighing up uni options. Basically i've narrowed it down to commerce or economics, and at either unsw or sydney. Just wondering which uni has best facilities, teaching and reputation? Also when i looked throught UAC book, the economics degree at sydney is recognised by CPA and CA, whereas unsw is only recognised by CPA, is this correct or a typo? Sorry about all the questions but one more, are there good career prospects in economics? Any help would be much appreciated thanks

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im gonna be biased and say UNSW, only because i go to UNSW and you postd on a UNSW forum
but from what ive heard, the facilities and the teaching is world class at UNSW
since there are more majors in commerce than economics, i would say that the job prospects is greater in commerce than economics, but thats my 2 cents worth

ZabZu

HSC
Regarding com vs eco at UNSW, commerce is more flexible and offers more choice. For example economics requires you to do one major from the school of economics and the economics majors (economics, econometrics, etc) give you a whole lot of compulsory subjects. For business economics (in the commerce degree) you only have 2 required subjects.

phrred

HSC
#goodo# said:
hey, i'm just finishing up my hsc this year and weighing up uni options. Basically i've narrowed it down to commerce or economics, and at either unsw or sydney. Just wondering which uni has best facilities, teaching and reputation? Also when i looked throught UAC book, the economics degree at sydney is recognised by CPA and CA, whereas unsw is only recognised by CPA, is this correct or a typo? Sorry about all the questions but one more, are there good career prospects in economics? Any help would be much appreciated thanks
i dont think u can fit all the requirements for CA in a BEc at unsw (think u hafta do 8 eco courses in it)

unsw is more recognised for commerce than sydney but ull have to fit in with asians id say about 75% r azn in commerce

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Im putting commerce as my first option, and econ as my second.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well seeing that an econ degree is in the subset of of a com degree and its eight uai points higher, good choice.

volition

arr.
HSC
Yeah I agree, I'd preference commerce over economics, but I do know a guy who went to my high school about 3 years higher than myself (he's my uni tutor for macro now), he got a UAI around 97 and still chose to do Eco at UNSW. He's now doing honours and has already secured a place with the RBA for next year after he graduates. So either way, if you're good you'll find something to do in your chosen field anyway. Career prospects also depend on your choice of majors. I think accounting has a pretty high employment rate.

I still don't really completely understand why you'd 'choose' economics over commerce though, unless you were SURE you wouldn't mind being forced to do at least one economics major.

Last edited:

schmeichung

HSC
if you do commerce, you can still do exactly the same thing as you wanna do in economics, yet not other way round.
so what makes you to consider between com and econ? only thing that would concern u is the UAI cutoff

no commerce only has business economics i think, and business stats instead of econometrics. economics u major in economics.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
and you know whats funny about the difference between econ and bus econ and ecmt and bus stats? NOTHING! (well, almost) you do the same courses, except in the econ degree you have to do micro 2 and macro 2 and also with some other courses.

Conspirocy

HSC
phrred said:
i dont think u can fit all the requirements for CA in a BEc at unsw (think u hafta do 8 eco courses in it)

unsw is more recognised for commerce than sydney but ull have to fit in with asians id say about 75% r azn in commerce
you can fit all the CA or CPA requirements for accounting in a BEc at unsw

u just have use ur options, this is the plan for economics degree

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2007/ACCTAD3543.html

majoring in accounting

umm yeah thats bout it

but as if u shouldnt do economics all the way, coolest subject ever!!! who wouldnt want to do an extended economics major

Conspirocy

HSC
when i started subjects u needed to do where

For CA
FINS 1613 Business Finance
LEGT 1711 Legal Environment of Commerce
LEGT 2721 Business Transactions
LEGT 2742 Business Entities
LEGT 2751 Business Taxation
ACCT 3583 Stakeholder Value Mngt
ACCT 3610 Financial Statement Analysis
ACCT 3708 Auditing & Assurance Services

For CPA exactly the same except get rid of LEGT 2751 and put that information systems subject in

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
required CA subjects:

acct1501
acct1511
acct2542
acct3563
acct3583
acct3708
fins1613
legt1711
legt2721
legt2741
legt2751

+ one acct2522 for acct major (for double major).

so there wouldnt be enough space for those subjects in a BEc.

volition

arr.
HSC
yeah and BEc isn't on the list of 'accredited' degrees either, it's only the Bcomm and comm/law

Bendent

HSC
Hahahah im doing bcom/beco.

Are people doing eco majors cool looking or not?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
wow thats a really dumb combo. but hey its a matter of personal opinion. im sure you've read enough people here bagging it out.

Bendent

HSC
i chose it because i could get 2 degrees in 4 yrs and since they are related i can gain more opportunities in both the commerce and economics field. i dont think its a dumb combo.

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
thats the same thing as 'i can get more job opportunites in the commerce and commerce field'.

2 degrees in 4 yrs is actually the norm with the exception of all usyd combined degrees and combined law everywhere.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I don't think it's a stupid combo either. I would've done it if they offered it in 05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)