• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Economics or commerce? (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I'm halfway through my degree at usyd already so it's not really practical

Bendent

HSC
blackfriday said:
thats the same thing as 'i can get more job opportunites in the commerce and commerce field'.

2 degrees in 4 yrs is actually the norm with the exception of all usyd combined degrees and combined law everywhere.
but bcom/beco are both commerce related you see which i am interested in. There are no other double degrees like this that can be completed in 4 yrs. but in another way commerce degree and economics degree seems individually different if you know what i mean.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
UNcle and club mac offers something similar buts the reason why unis dont offer it is because its just like doing a single four-year business degree. club mac offers a double 4.5 year commerce degree (actl and acct with CA exemptions) or a double 4 year degree (actl and appfin, actl and econ) is only so you can get your actuary exemptions done. so if you are an actuary student, i would say it isnt a bad idea because you dont have to do com/sci, actl hons or m.actl.

an economics degree is in the subset of a commerce, and there are no jobs out there that require you to have three effective majors in order to be employed. if you're doing this purely out of interest...i cant say anything that wouldnt offend you.

Bendent

HSC
thats why they cut it to 4 yrs so its not overlapping.

economics can be a subset of commerce. However, there is a reason why they would name both individually because they are different.

having 2 commerce majors (eg. accounting, finance) plus an economics major could give better job opportunities than having just 2 commerce majors.

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
actually in your case of doing an accounting major, it makes no difference. doing an extra degree meant you spent an extra year at uni doing something you didnt need to do. might as well do the new com (int) program - at least you got to study overseas, which is cool. only com/law makes a difference.

if you cant get a job in business with a double major (acct, fins) degree, either your academic transcript must be dotted with PCs or you must be completely and utterly shite at interviews.

Affinity

HSC
BCom/BEc is for those who believe in a traditional four year education!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
blackfriday said:
if you cant get a job in business with a double major (acct, fins) degree, either your academic transcript must be dotted with PCs or you must be completely and utterly shite at interviews.
haha

and no to whoever said 3year degrees are rubbish
hons in accting is rubbish - no need ..nor higher pay..

doing sthing like 3 majors only broadens your options to select an industry to go into - a perhaps a slight "know-how" advantage.

once you "aim" to follow a career with financeers, economists, or acctants, they really dont care about your other majors...just that ur qualified and eligable to get proff. qlfd. e.g. CA.

lizbon

HSC
i kinda agree with blackfriday, doing BCom/BEco doesn't really count as a double degree, its like doing a course BSci/BSci(advanced) which will probabaly never be offered...lol, however, the plus is that you get to do 3 majors, and it does broaden the job prospects that you have...to an extent.

if you do acct/fins, as blackfriday said, you are bound to get a job, esp with accounting in such high demand, so in that respect i think it's a bit of a waste of time to do a BCom/BEco degree, it's better to doing comm/sci or of course comm/law.

i kinda like the new degree FCE is offering next year in BCom (Liberal Studies) thinking of transferring to that (if it is possible), it lets you do some courses outside of commerce/economics (arts, science, critical analysi) and adds abit more balance. what do you guys think?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
there is a bsc(comp Sc)/bsc program, which isnt as bad as doing bcom/bec since comp sc is administered by cse, not the same damn faculty.

go to the job search engines and look for accounting/finance jobs. tell me one job that needs knowledge in THREE similar business fields. lots of them want a diverse knowledge base, but that means knowledge in computing, engineering or a foreign language. not three business majors.

as for the com (lib) progam - if you ask me its a bullshit ploy to keep up with usyd. ive said this many times on boredofstudies, but the usyd people told me doing com (lib) does not help job prospects and it only means that you spent an extra year at uni doing subjects you didnt have to do. with that said, if you're at uni for a good time, the extra year wont hurt too much. it just means you're a year behind everyone else.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
there is a bsc(comp Sc)/bsc program, which isnt as bad as doing bcom/bec since comp sc is administered by cse, not the same damn faculty.

go to the job search engines and look for accounting/finance jobs. tell me one job that needs knowledge in THREE similar business fields. lots of them want a diverse knowledge base, but that means knowledge in computing, engineering or a foreign language. not three business majors.

as for the com (lib) progam - if you ask me its a bullshit ploy to keep up with usyd. ive said this many times on boredofstudies, but the usyd people told me doing com (lib) does not help job prospects and it only means that you spent an extra year at uni doing subjects you didnt have to do. with that said, if you're at uni for a good time, the extra year wont hurt too much. it just means you're a year behind everyone else.
BSc/BSc still sounds bad. Should just do a straight BSc or BSc (Adv Sci) double majoring in Maths and Comp Sci. It's the degree I should have done.

Liberal studies is for chicks who can't make up their mind. If you want to go overseas and do some Artsy subjects, you should apply to go on exchange as you have a choice of spending 6 months or 12 months. Also, you can substitute 6uoc of Gen Eds for a real subject, so why not do an Arts subject like a language course!?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
an m.fins or m.acct - they are good. i am under the impression that an m.com is for the people too stupid to get a job in the real world so they stay an extra year at uni doing something pretty pointless. an honours degree is probably the best undergrad thing you can do to enhance your employment prospects rather than a double degree.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
stfu! Mcom is for people who want a career change, not just dumb people (I know a doctor who did it, but dropped out half way through as no-one spoke english so the course sucked). Or people like me who want 2 science majors, so cant do bcom/bsc. Mcom isn't pointless as at least you have some business world knowledge. I dispute the honours degree bit, experience is better.

phrred

HSC
lizbon said:
i kinda like the new degree FCE is offering next year in BCom (Liberal Studies) thinking of transferring to that (if it is possible), it lets you do some courses outside of commerce/economics (arts, science, critical analysi) and adds abit more balance. what do you guys think?
I think comm (lib) and comm (int) are really good ideas, not just "keeping up" with USYD. remember we introduced the BCom first

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
If you want an international flavour to your degree, just go on exchange and take some Arts subjects as electives, and that way you will basically have the same without having to spend an extra yr. They're just repackaging existing degrees with more cutting-edge sounding names. Who knows, maybe they will change it from B Com to B Bus now that the FCE is changing to F Bus.

A lot of the MCOM subjects are taught in parallel with the undergrad (same subjects but different course codes and names) so you're better off competing with the undergrads who are generally of a higher calibre and have a better grasp of English.

By doing Honours, you are leaving yourself the option to pursue a research degree later on in the future and hopefully contribute something back to your own field of study. It depends on what your goals are for the future, but you shouldn't discount it without due consideration.

velox, you should have done a combined Science degree at USyd since you can potentially get 4 majors in total.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh experience rocks - but only cadets and the like get it. for those of us common people going through full-time uni, experience isnt easy to get unless you have hectic time management.

i think the commerce (int) program is a good idea because everyone, if they can and have the money, should go on exchange somewhere purely to experience something different to what they're used to. i thought it would be like the program at unsw asia - a combined b com/b international studies that goes for four years. at least you get two degrees for that extra year at uni, not just brackets at the end of a normal degree.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Exchange is great. I think of it more of a character building experience. Also you can experience a change in teaching methods to your normal uni.

Experience is not hard to get while at uni. There are quite a few part time finance/accounting related professions if you take the time to look. I.e. a month or so ago, there was an assistant quantitative analyst job @ $25/hour on offer for uni students. All you needed was good excel skills and some stats skills.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
its all good that there are those positions out there, but they aren't in abundance waiting for all to take. if you can get work doing that sort of thing - then you have a head start on everyone else. if those jobs were common, you would be a fool not to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)