• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English Advanced - Book Thief (1 Viewer)

2loseyourmind4

HSC
Hi ya'll,

not sure if this is the place to ask this question, but next year for year 11 we're going to be analysing the book thief for a text.

Has anyone read it for english previously? as i was wondering what specific themes you suggest i should focus on while reading the book over the next few days?

HoldingOn

HSC
Sparknotes may be a bit too simplistic :rolleyes: However, I think the main thing to focus on is the context of the book. It seeks to combat the rise of nihilism (in places it is actually quite altruistic)- it challenges existential philosophies that came about as a result of WW2.

Last edited:

nrumble42

HSC
Power of Words is a major theme throughout the whole novel, especially with Liesel. She learns throughout the duration of the novel that words can hold immense power over people, compelling them to commit acts of kindness or cruelty.

Death:Not only is death an important aspect in The Book Thief, but also Death himself is the narrator. The narrator is a first person omniscient narrator; however his perception of the world is shaped through Zusak’s use of synaethesia, personification, and an emphasis on texture and sensory descriptions. This would be a very crucial theme to consider while you read it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)