• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English Extension 1 Question: should the essay be integrated? (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
What I mean is, should the related text be placed throughout the whole thing.
I am doing the ways of thinking, after the bomb module, with so far only having done plath poetry and a related text
But I was hoping to just talk about Plath, then my related text (in big sections) and just link it back. I think otherwise I will get too confused.
Thanks so much in advance

stillthinkin

HSC
If you look at the Markers Feedback it will let you know that the integration of texts within an essay is really important particularly for ways of thinking as your letting them know whether these ways of thinking have been changed or remained the same.

Essentially there are several ways you can write an extension essay -

1. body paragraphs separate for each text with superficial links between texts but extensive detail
2. thematic or value based paragraphs with links between texts <-- this is the expected extension essay but it requires practise to ensure that you are communicating a sufficient amount of detail

I usually lean towards the latter because it gives you a lot of give and take when it comes to intergrating and creating links. It seems to me that your going the other way, you can still manage to do quite well but ensure that your links are explicit rather then superficial <-- this is where people lose the majority of their marks

SanjoyM

HSC
The markers apparently prefer integrated essays rather than linear essays.
For my Extension essay, I integrated the discussion of both texts on the basis of 3 common concerns (thematic concerns - find one that is unique and not a lot of people will discuss)
Probably best to do it this way.
It just provides a coherent, fluid structure and ensures clarity - saves time as well :)
Hope that helps!

stillthinkin

HSC
The markers apparently prefer integrated essays rather than linear essays.
For my Extension essay, I integrated the discussion of both texts on the basis of 3 common concerns (thematic concerns - find one that is unique and not a lot of people will discuss)
Probably best to do it this way.
It just provides a coherent, fluid structure and ensures clarity - saves time as well :)
Hope that helps!
Do you tend to use evidence as well link the writers contemporaries. I'm not sure if I should be doing this. Thoughts?

SanjoyM

HSC
Yes, a lot of people lose the majority of the marks on LINKS!!
In an integrated essay, it is more easier to link both texts and the answer the question in relation to the module simultaneously.
Make sure you explicitly link to the question - the markers are always looking for that explicit LINK to the Question and your understanding of the module :)

stillthinkin

HSC
Yeah I did my extension essay this morning, not sure how I went. I don't seem to remember using punctuation at all but that might be due to the complete lack of sleep due to cramming. Thanks for the advice, what module are you doing btw?

SanjoyM

HSC
Do you tend to use evidence as well link the writers contemporaries. I'm not sure if I should be doing this. Thoughts?
Depends on the module you are undertaking for study.
For Crime Writing, I only do that sometimes just to make the link to the permeable conventions, retaining core values (the q) more explicit through reference to context.

theycallmebob

HSC
if the texts share topics that you want to talk about then set out the paragraphs by topic, otherwise order them by text. just whatever works best for you, it's really free-for-all.

mine have nearly always been set out in order of the texts and that seems to work best for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)