• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English is too subjective. (1 Viewer)

saaraah11

HSC
For module A, we did a comparison of "Looking for Richard" and "King Richard 3", and were required to complete an essay in class. I received full marks for this essay and used it in my trials as the question was extremely similar. However, when I got my trial mark back it was the worst mark out of all the sections. Now I know a different teacher marked this but I am lost at what to do? Should I hide the mark, get the teacher who marked my in class essay to mark it and give a set mark, then see if they are inconsistent, or should I just leave it? Would I even be able to get more marks if the other teacher saw the essay to be worth more?

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yeah thats english for you

Which is why its the suckiest of sucky subjects. No subjectivity in maths physics or chem hey

tlam8607

HSC
For module A, we did a comparison of "Looking for Richard" and "King Richard 3", and were required to complete an essay in class. I received full marks for this essay and used it in my trials as the question was extremely similar. However, when I got my trial mark back it was the worst mark out of all the sections. Now I know a different teacher marked this but I am lost at what to do? Should I hide the mark, get the teacher who marked my in class essay to mark it and give a set mark, then see if they are inconsistent, or should I just leave it? Would I even be able to get more marks if the other teacher saw the essay to be worth more?
...... marking is hardly ever consistent. I was in a similar position and asked for a re-mark, since I felt that my essay deserved a lot more.

Yet having said that, I did not approach anybody without having a good argument against the mark (that I felt was unjustly served).

This involved a long night critiquing my essay's strong and weak points.

Don't just 'leave it.' It's your HSC and your success in the ATAR should not be hindered by moody markers!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No subjectivity in maths physics or chem hey</SPAN>
There is. There's just less of it.

All major essays should be marked by more than one teacher. Which generally finds some consistency. In your case, you can appeal for a second opinion, but don't be surprised if you are declined. It depends on your school really.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah English is a bitch. I got 7/15 for my creative writing in term 3 but the same story word for word changed to 13/15 in the half yearlies.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Meh - did the same teacher mark all your grade's essays? If so - there's really not much you can do - especially if the essay was double marked. If anyone was marked 'harshly' as well, then there's really nothing 'unjust' about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)