• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Environmental law? (1 Viewer)

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the double degree, bachelor of environment with bachelor of law at Macquarie University. I'm extremely passionate about climate change and was considering doing advanced science and major in climate science at UNSW, but wanted something more practical. It may seem corny, but I don't just want to research; I want to make a difference through advising companies etc. So I found this course which seems like it will allow me to do this. Not sure if I'll enjoy the law degree but I know that I need it if I want to do policy consultancy and planning. Thoughts?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the double degree, bachelor of environment with bachelor of law at Macquarie University. I'm extremely passionate about climate change and was considering doing advanced science and major in climate science at UNSW, but wanted something more practical. It may seem corny, but I don't just want to research; I want to make a difference through advising companies etc. So I found this course which seems like it will allow me to do this. Not sure if I'll enjoy the law degree but I know that I need it if I want to do policy consultancy and planning. Thoughts?
From what I've gathered, you don't.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
So you want to be an environmental consultant?

If you study Law, and want to get into environmental law and planning it might depress you, due to the political scope of the parties. (ie. One particular party not doing enough, and the other against 'climate change').
I am sure that will eventually change though in the next 20-30 years.

It's certainly a field of law that will grow in the future, particularly in regards to emissions trading, carbon credits, etc.
All of those things needs legal frameworks, and with those things comes the scope of legal interpretation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)