• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Equal First? (1 Viewer)

vdub72

HSC
Hi,

Got trial results back yesterday, in a particular subject me and another guy have the exact same cumulative mark (counting all assessments) to the first decimal point. Because the assessment ranks have to be submitted as whole numbers, does this mean that we will be given equal first? Also, I know that we don't get the official sheet with the internal assessment marks that the school submitted on it until the last day of the written exams, but when is the school allowed to tell us our ranks informally?

Last edited:

schmickrx3

HSC
From what l have been told by teachers, your school will use as many decimal points as they have to in order to differentiate 1st and 2nd. In terms of the telling us our ranks, my school will start receiving them within the next two weeks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Each school is different. Mine will sent both students in as equal - afterall they haven't been able to split them over the course of a series of assessment tasks so believe they should go in equal first.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Of course students can be on the same rank. What would happen if the cohort was over 100 strong - and that does happen in many schools so they would have to have multiple ranks.

If two students end up wit the same mark then they should be equal as they have shown that they are equal.

vdub72

HSC
Thanks for that, the cohort is around 95-100 people so I am assuming that there will be people tied on the same mark/rank > I can't see why that shouldn't apply to first too. We have been getting pretty much exactly the same marks the whole year, so having me come outright first or vica versa wouldn't really reflect that. Does anyone else know what the policies at their schools are??

HSC
Thanks for that, the cohort is around 95-100 people so I am assuming that there will be people tied on the same mark/rank > I can't see why that shouldn't apply to first too. We have been getting pretty much exactly the same marks the whole year, so having me come outright first or vica versa wouldn't really reflect that. Does anyone else know what the policies at their schools are??
If you're not ranked first, argue your case to the teachers and show that you & the other student have got the exact same mark throughout the year

vdub72

HSC
If you're not ranked first, argue your case to the teachers and show that you & the other student have got the exact same mark throughout the year
I don't really want to have to do this, but I did top the trial (the subject is English Advanced) and came first in EX1 and EX2 so hopefully if they're deciding whether to enter us equally or not that may come into play (although I imagine that they already have set policies in place.) We haven't literally got the same marks all year, but as in like I got 19/20 in Mod A, he got 18/20, but then he got 20/20 in Mod C and I got 19 etc.

HSC
I don't really want to have to do this, but I did top the trial (the subject is English Advanced) and came first in EX1 and EX2 so hopefully if they're deciding whether to enter us equally or not that may come into play (although I imagine that they already have set policies in place.) We haven't literally got the same marks all year, but as in like I got 19/20 in Mod A, he got 18/20, but then he got 20/20 in Mod C and I got 19 etc.
Calculate your course mark. There might be a discrepancy there as weighting for assessments may be different?

vdub72

HSC
Yeah I sat there with him and we checked weightings/ marks and what not, still ends up equal.

braintic

HSC
N/A
No-one seems to have considered the possibility that your school might SCALE assessments before adding.
Scaling of course involves not only shifting marks up or down, but changing their spread.
If your school does scale before adding, the only way you can guarantee that you will both get the same total mark is if you got the same mark in EVERY assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)