• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Everything you ever wanted to know about mooting but were afraid to ask (1 Viewer)

subdued123

HSC
Basically, here goes:

1. Form a team. This is important. Pick someone good. Don't pick someone shit. That is a bad game plan.
Exception: Your partner is really hot and you want to bed them. Then take them on regardless of ability. They will often be hopeless and their dependence on you will get you further with them than you ever thought possible. If they are smart as well, then tread carefully. I am on your team.

2. Get the problem question. Read it. Make a note of any interesting points. Make a note of any things you'd like to buy at the shops while you're at it, you're going to do it later, so why put it off?

3. Write submissions.

4. Borrow a book on how to write submissions

5. Write submissions

6. Hand in submissions

7. Moot. Stand up, introduce yourself

8. Get shouted at.

9. Say thankyou your honour and sit down. Wait for your turn to speak.

10. When it is your turn to speak, speak. Make sure you get all of the law correct, ensuring it is said in as persuasive a manner as possible. Don't be shit, you'll lose marks for it.

11. The judge will award the moot to you. Avoid the temptation to do a victory speech or fire a few rounds into the air.

12. Wait for your mooting partner to want to have sex with you because you are so awesome. (See step 1)

13. Wait till the judge has left the moot room before you get amorous; it is considered impolite to get undressed in front of the judge.

There, that's my guide. I followed it, and I got awesome.

<br><270br></br>

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
let me try to deduce who you are:-

- chick
- about my age, so probably 5th yr undergrad or 2nd-3rd year grad
- awesome in moots...

Aimee? Jocelyn? Maddy? Tamara? Katrina?

that's probly all i can think of atm =\

subdued123

HSC
let's not try to reveal personalities here. It's more fun that way. I'm more inclined to participate this way, as everybody is. Frigid was close, maybe too close. Velox, off track.

More mooting talk now!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sorry I made those up.

What's it with lawyers and sex? I have been browsing the law section only recently, and there was a reference to having sex in a bar library and now in a moot? Is it some kind of tradition? Or maybe it just displays the maturity of such law students ;) (maybe this should be posted in the 'what do you hate about law students' thread)

subdued123

HSC
it's probably tension from reading too many cases and not enough good looking guys in law school, sorry, it's true. The ratio of hot girls to hot guys is about 20 to 1.

The cute boys are in engineering, apparently.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Engineering was 50:1 in my course this year. There seems to be a fair few guys who I would consider as good looking at usyd doing law, although im biased since im a straight guy ;)

Is to 'bed them' a law thing also :p?

Anyway, ill take leave now. Especially since this is massively off topic.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
haha if you were mooter Josie P, i just wanna tell you i find you totally cute :shy:

LOL.

doink

Clone
HSC
subdued123 said:
it's probably tension from reading too many cases and not enough good looking guys in law school, sorry, it's true. The ratio of hot girls to hot guys is about 20 to 1.

The cute boys are in engineering, apparently.
Would you like to moot with me? I'm an engineer and If the judge were to throw sass my way i'd prolly tear them a new one and/or get into an argument about the grotesque skin growth on their face.

Oh and for every non-socially awkward guy who doesn't look like he did several face plants onto concrete there are 4o who are, just that there are so many engineering students. Although the special few (ie me) gets free pickings of the very girls in engineering.

In summation (i know you lawyers love this word)
1. Lets Moot
2. see step 12

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
Sorry I made those up.

What's it with lawyers and sex? I have been browsing the law section only recently, and there was a reference to having sex in a bar library and now in a moot? Is it some kind of tradition? Or maybe it just displays the maturity of such law students ;) (maybe this should be posted in the 'what do you hate about law students' thread)
I think its something to do with the fact that we are so restricted by rules that it seems a fun idea to break them! I'm also not your average nerdy law student and like to suprise peope ;)

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
the conclusion of every glorious moot should be celebrated by getting together with all your learned friends and having a massive orgy in the moot court. hot judges are also to participate: brings new meaning to "may it please your honour" and "submitting" to the court.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Oh man. I feel stupider from having read this thread.

In other news, I got slapped out of court today on an application, so my record is back down to 50%. I guess I forgot step 10 in subdued's rules "Don't be shit".

I better win this application next week otherwise I'm dropping below 50%.

Believe me, moot judges are a lot nicer when it comes to entertaining rubbish arguments than real judges :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)