• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Exam Technique (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
Could someone explain to me what exam technique actually is? Sorry if this is a stupid question

unknown88

HSC
N/A
what you do in the reading time, effective time management, righting all the required working to get to the solutions, neat and tidy so marker can read more easily and thats all i can remember

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I assume it just refers to the method which you take the exam. How you approach questions etc.

For instance, do you sacrifice the 4 mark question and do well on the 10, or do you attempt both and get decent on both. What do you do in your reading time. Do you do the last question first, and get out a good long response, and attempt multiple choice last.

Basically, best practice and best use of your time.

tambam

HSC
It refers to the practices whiich a student will develop because they thiink it will maxximise their cchancces of performing well.
Examples of exam technique would be:
- Doing multiple choice during reading timee
- Skippiing a hard maths question you can't do withinn 2 minutes and coming back to it later
- Doing sections of the exam in a certain order

Basically you have to figure out what works best for you

michaeljennings

HSC
can any of you help me with this problem i have with short answer questions.

Ill look at the question and think idk how to answer this and get full marks so i will skip it, and then i will do the same for every question and i will end up skipping most of them, then i do the whole process again starting from the beginning and continue the process until all of them have been answered if this makes sense.

I found this wasted a lot of time in my PDHPE and Economics exam however for PDHPE i got 79/80 for the short answers part and for economics i got 35/40. So while the marks arent terrible i just feel like im wasting time on these questions, especially for economics because my extended responses are never really good.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
can any of you help me with this problem i have with short answer questions.

Ill look at the question and think idk how to answer this and get full marks so i will skip it, and then i will do the same for every question and i will end up skipping most of them, then i do the whole process again starting from the beginning and continue the process until all of them have been answered if this makes sense.

I found this wasted a lot of time in my PDHPE and Economics exam however for PDHPE i got 79/80 for the short answers part and for economics i got 35/40. So while the marks arent terrible i just feel like im wasting time on these questions, especially for economics because my extended responses are never really good.

Short answer marks are usually based on certain points. Each argument/evidence you give is worth one point. Before attempting the question, think through those points in your head.

If you get more than half on a low mark question, write it in. You can always come back and add stuff later. Remember, in short answer, correct sentence structure is less important than content. Also, partial marks are better than leaving it completely.

tambam

HSC
Are you for real, that sounds so retarded...
When you're in an exam, nothing is going to help you come up with anything new, except for what's already in your head. So the obvious thing to do is to answer the question as best you can instead of wasting time skipping them all?
If they're longer short answer questions, maybe around 5 marks, it might help to jot down the syllabus points which the questions are being asked from and then maybe that will help yoou write a more cconcise, relevant answer.

michaeljennings

HSC
When you're in an exam, nothing is going to help you come up with anything new, except for what's already in your head.
Sorry I am not as smart as you theres no need to be condescending..

And also i dont even think that is true for everyone..Im sure im not the only person who rememebers things later on in an exam and as absolutezero said you can come back and add it on later

thoth1

Banned
HSC
When you're in an exam, nothing is going to help you come up with anything new, except for what's already in your head. So the obvious thing to do is to answer the question as best you can instead of wasting time skipping them all?
If they're longer short answer questions, maybe around 5 marks, it might help to jot down the syllabus points which the questions are being asked from and then maybe that will help yoou write a more cconcise, relevant answer.
4 humanities subjects this is true. but 4 maffs and phys and chem ull always be figuring stuff out in exam.
case in point: circle geo.

K

khorne

Not true. Other parts of the exam and your sub conscious consider and question even when you're not working on it. SOmething could hit you. You're better of skipping everything you cant do and finishing the exam, then going back. That way you don't lose easy marks and you stand a better chance.

enoilgam

HSC
4 humanities subjects this is true. but 4 maffs and phys and chem ull always be figuring stuff out in exam.
case in point: circle geo.
I reakon for humanities subjects what tambam said is really false. Nearly all the time when you write essays, you run out of ideas, then come back to it after working on other questions and suddenly they come flowing.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I reakon for humanities subjects what tambam said is really false. Nearly all the time when you write essays, you run out of ideas, then come back to it after working on other questions and suddenly they come flowing.
agreed this tends to happen for eco. So ensure you leave some spaces in your extended responses between paragraphs so you may add more later if time is left.

-I tend to do multiple choice in my reading time also it tends to save me sooo much time.

-i spend the most time on my reports, about 1hr each during a 3hr exam.

tambam

HSC
Sorry I am not as smart as you theres no need to be condescending..

And also i dont even think that is true for everyone..Im sure im not the only person who rememebers things later on in an exam and as absolutezero said you can come back and add it on later
Okay, i'm sorry for being mean to you!
And everyone seems to be on your side anywayyy. In the least arrogant way possible, i was just legit surprised because i think i have something close to photographic memory, so this has never been a problem for me, conversely, I always have way too much stuff to write, especially for extended responses.

Anyway, i reckon as long as you revise well for the hsc, and practice regurgitating your knowedlge for each syllabus dot point for your subjects, it shouldn't be a problem (or at least it will be less of a problem)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I usually finish or nearly finish the multiple choice during reading time. I use my nail and make a line/crease on the answer I think is right.

fiesycal

HSC
I usually finish or nearly finish the multiple choice during reading time. I use my nail and make a line/crease on the answer I think is right.
In our school people did this and they got 0 for cheating.

K

khorne

thats not cheating lol. i dont do it myself but i still think it shuldnt be considered cheating.
Yes it is. What does the exam say? It says reading time, don't write. This is writing, inkless. You are disregarding the rules knowingly to gain advantage, therefore you are cheating. How hard is it to understand?

thoth1

Banned
HSC
Yes it is. What does the exam say? It says reading time, don't write. This is writing, inkless. You are disregarding the rules knowingly to gain advantage, therefore you are cheating. How hard is it to understand?
i said i dont do it myself. im just saying u cant really govern something like this. wat if someone has a nervous habit where they dig their nails into the paper or hold paper really tightly. they culd get in trouble even though they werent actually cheating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)