• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Excess of 14 credit points (1 Viewer)

pullmychicken

HSC
Hey

i switched degrees and because of unit scheduling and such I could graduate after 1st semester 09 if i do 16 credit point in one semester, or i would have to stay an extra semester just to finish one subject. I've heard of people doing 15 credits in one semester, but im not sure if anyone would approve 16, does anyone know?

thanks

ac

Kabeio

k.
HSC
16 credit points...no way i would assume..15 cp getting approved must be very rare though.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What degree? Could do it during summer school?

(yes very unlikely you'll get approved)

dracover

HSC
i did 15 one semester i rem the requirement was a min 3.5 gpa. 16 is highly doubtful summer is def betta option unfortunately thats wat happens wen u change course.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just stay the extra semester, or go on exchange and take advantage of it :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I'd try and do a summer subject or something. I've done 14cp both semesters this year and the second was hard because I was doing 2 3rd year arts subjects and two law subjects, it was a bit much sometimes in terms of workload as normal 3rd year arts students only do three subjects.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I know a few people who have done >14cp. I think one did 16cp at one stage. You'd have to have a very good gpa and basically not be doing anything else :/
It is very risky though. If you get overwhelmed you risk failing everything - i'd put up with the extra semester or do a summer course.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Aww bugger; I was planning on doing 16cp first semester, too. AND doing a summer subject. Hmmm........ bugger. Now I need another plan to wipe 6 months off my degree :(

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
I did 15 cp for my first 2 semesters and 16cp for the third semester which just ended. Getting approval shouldn't be much of a problem if your GPA is sufficiently good, maybe the actuarial studies department is more lenient, not sure.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Think about it this way. While you are overloaded and have less time to study because you are doing an extra 2-4cp everyone else is doing less has more time and you are competing with them at every assessment

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
To the best of my knowlede (after employment from within unis processing special approvals), there's no reason for them to turn you down as long as you appear/prove yourself capable of it.

Give it a go, but 16cp is a lot (In fact, in my 3 years of dealing with students, I've only come across one wanting to do it, and she's posted above...:))Avoid where possible. Will you be working? How many units? (for me, the number of units you're doing (as opposed to CP) is a better indicator of how difficult a semester it is... )

Last edited:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hey skittled, i checked out your photos.. your quite the photographer :)

Kegs

HSC
My ex-girlfirend did 16 credit points and then 18 credit points in her second year. The result of this was that the Christmas break just seemed to short and she was still wanting to unwined when we went back this year. It is really tough and you need to think it through.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
clairegirl said:
hey skittled, i checked out your photos.. your quite the photographer :)
Haha thanks Anne... to be honest I'm quite proud of some of them, and awfully embarrassed about others.. but you've gotta learn somehow, right!?

Kegs said:
My ex-girlfirend did 16 credit points and then 18 credit points in her second year. The result of this was that the Christmas break just seemed to short and she was still wanting to unwined when we went back this year. It is really tough and you need to think it through.
Good to know... will def pass that onto MJ (though she reads BoS more than me, at the moment... I see people in REAL LIFE *GASP* more than on here (hey Lynn & Mike!)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ben was there as well! He came in late!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)