• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

F.e.a.r (3 Viewers)

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
Well this is lauded as one of the scariest First Person Shooters ever. The whole plot is based around supernatural themes. I have trouble refraining from wetting my pants when playing this.

Ooooohhhhhh, ok then. I think I shall go and find, and buy, me a copy. I don't really like supernatural stuff still, but oh well. I'll get over it, I'm sure. Just might suffocate whilst sleeping, because I have my sheets tucked over my head...

Collin

HSC
N/A
pinkelephant said:
Ooooohhhhhh, ok then. I think I shall go and find, and buy, me a copy. I don't really like supernatural stuff still, but oh well. I'll get over it, I'm sure. Just might suffocate whilst sleeping, because I have my sheets tucked over my head...
Did you like The Ring? One of the central characters (antagonist) in it revolves around a little girl who resembles that of the movie. She's also responsible for the gruesome deaths of your comrades. Things happen like a photo of a dead man's mutilated face pops up onto your screen for a split second, the little girl 'Alma' popping in the game every once in awhile, lights going out for no reason etc... all of this backed up by an excellent encore of high quality sound effects. There's blood, there's gore.. but it's all done well to enhance the scare factor, it's not like they just put in as much gore as possible to freak people out that way.

Also for anyone else who's playing/played it, did you also have trouble going into water? Everytime I was required to go into water I squirmed like a girl.. because well.. I have a feeling something scary might happen and bite me in the butt. -_-

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
Did you like The Ring? One of the central characters (antagonist) in it revolves around a little girl who resembles that of the movie. She's also responsible for the gruesome deaths of your comrades. Things happen like a photo of a dead man's mutilated face pops up onto your screen for a split second, the little girl 'Alma' popping in the game every once in awhile, lights going out for no reason etc... all of this backed up by an excellent encore of high quality sound effects. There's blood, there's gore.. but it's all done well to enhance the scare factor, it's not like they just put in as much gore as possible to freak people out that way.

Also for anyone else who's playing/played it, did you also have trouble going into water? Everytime I was required to go into water I squirmed like a girl.. because well.. I have a feeling something scary might happen and bite me in the butt. -_-
Oh my gosh, that movie scared the life outta me. I couldn't sleep properly for months after.

What was the worst thing ever, was that I watched it exactly a week before Christmas, without even realising it - LOL

Hmmm, maybe I won't get it anymore. Your descriptions are making me need to change my pants.

BTW, what's wrong with "squirming like a girl" hmm?

Collin

HSC
N/A
pinkelephant said:
Oh my gosh, that movie scared the life outta me. I couldn't sleep properly for months after.

What was the worst thing ever, was that I watched it exactly a week before Christmas, without even realising it - LOL

Hmmm, maybe I won't get it anymore. Your descriptions are making me need to change my pants.

BTW, what's wrong with "squirming like a girl" hmm?
Yup, this girl forms the core supernatural theme in this game. What you do know about her is she can tear up your fellow soldiers like a hot knife through butter. She somehow uses her mind to sever the limbs off their bodies etc. I just played the game for a few hours, and in the current situation your 'Delta squad' comrades had just lost communications with command whilst deep inside a corporate complex. Inside this complex there are dead civilians everywhere with some enemy soldiers littered around. When you do find Delta squad.. (well, atleast what remains of Delta squad), you see that the walls and even glass roof of the place is completely littered with blood. There are several bloodied skeletons on the ground. No bullet holes.. using common sense we know that the little girl tore the skin off those soldiers and scattered the blood into a mess of a place. As you play the game, she sometimes walks past corridors, giving a 'playful' giggle. At one stage, she appears in front of you out of nowhere, crawls towards you on all fours really quickly before dissappearing into air.. while this was happening there was that 'shock' music usually present in horror films.. this particular scene scared the crap outta me because I didn't expect it, and she was approaching me so fast I thought it was the end. She also does what the girl in The Ring does.. that is she walks towards you slowly, then dissappears and reappears suddenly in front of you etc. It's freakin' scary shit I tellsya!

Btw, I think you should get this game.. just so you can wet your seat. Mwahaha. Nothing wrong with squirming like a girl.. well unless you're a guy that is............. :(

Komaticom said:
Yeah you're gunning down extremely smart human combatants (who wear armour that covers their entire body). However I get the feeling from some of the reviews that some enemies don't walk on the floor...

By the way, pinkelephant, you can "gun" me down anyday ;)
God those soldiers with that camouflage suits are damn annoying to fight.

BTW for anyone whos played the game.. you really should go download the 320MB 15min F.E.A.R movie demo off GameSpot.. infact this was the first movie I saw of it (over a year ago) which got me amped up for the game for the first time. The Armacham level there is so different, however some parts of it remain the same.. i.e the room where Delta squad got slaughtered. It's interesting to reflect, I think.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Have you actually played the game? Basically this demo is a movie demo of the gameplay for 15 minutes. If you or ANYONE ELSE for that matter want to know the 'feel' of this game.. then DOWNLOAD THIS NOW.

You do have to register but it's free. Trust me on this one, it's most definitely worth it. If there's one game-related gameplay movie I'd download (assuming I haven't seen this), I would download this F.E.A.R one.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/media.html?mode=all&page=1

That's the link, scroll down a bit and download Official Movie 5. Forget about it if you're not on broadband though, it's 337MB.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Just played it for another 3 hours or so.. god those Eves are annoying. I thought the Heavy Armors were bad enough. Now I'm off to find Alice Wade. Armacham's HQ building in general is creepy. So silent.. and you know Alma and Fettle are around. I also think it's realistic how the types of weapons you carry determines your running speed. For example, got a MOD-3 rocket launcher.. but now I run at the speed of a donut-loving obese person. :D Those turrets are super freaky too.. half of it because the whole loud in-your-face dun DUN music comes out just before they pop out of the ceiling.

Kaiser_Zero: Haven't played multiplayer yet, but Gamespot gave that component a pretty good review. You can also use Reflex in multiplayer too.. not sure how that works but I heard each player just gets a turn using it. It's supposedly very fast paced, you die often but you respawn instantly too. Sounds just like Quake.. which is actually my taste.

Collin

HSC
N/A
05er said:
I dunno if it's the game for me...it seems like Hl2 + confusing/uningaguing plot.
So how far have you gotten into the game?

By the way HL2 was great.

As for STALKER, that just got delayed for another year.

05er

HSC
My friend's got it and I just walked around this factory, shooting things up, but it's not really what I'm into atm.

HL2 was brilliant, IMO, because it was so open. Rivers, whole cities, etc, were massive so you never felt cramped. I keep getting clostrophobia from this game.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Just finished the game. Not gonna say anything about how it ends, but it's gonna be either you love it or hate it. The very end scene is scary, gave me a big shock. Probably one of the best FPS I've ever played. Only others I can think of right now that's on par is HL2, System Shock 2 (an old game) and Far Cry. Quake 4 was good too, but I found it a bit repetitive.

05er said:
My friend's got it and I just walked around this factory, shooting things up, but it's not really what I'm into atm.

HL2 was brilliant, IMO, because it was so open. Rivers, whole cities, etc, were massive so you never felt cramped. I keep getting clostrophobia from this game.
HL2 just had a bigger environment for each section.. but it's far from being 'open'. HL2, like most FPS are all linear.. basically every 'path' is sealed, such as doors being locked, other places to go covered with debris so you're basically forced to go where you're 'supposed to'. As for the factory, yes that place is one of the most cramped places.. if you got to the Armacham building (which by the looks of things you obviously didn't), rooms become alot bigger. The claustrophobic environment in those factory environments were also so as to enhance the creepy loneliness factor. I think the story is great, it's one of those FPS where you have to piece the puzzles together, where pieces are given to you throughout the game. Incorporate this type of narration with the supernatural theme in it, I couldn't wait to finish the game to 'piece' together the puzzles. HL2 had a decent plot, but I didn't find much suspense in it. The gameplay was great and it really immersed you as the player.. but the storyline in F.E.A.R really made me wanna play it more.

hipPo3

HSC
Hahaha .. my bro bought F.E.A.R directors edition ... apparently it costs the same price as the orignal now o.0

anywho, fear pwns .. the fact that you can sidekick enemies is awesome, and the bulet mode makes it twice as fun when throwing grens and watching the enemies pop.

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
Btw, I think you should get this game.. just so you can wet your seat. Mwahaha. Nothing wrong with squirming like a girl.. well unless you're a guy that is.............
I think I will get it... And shall rightly so squirm like a girl.

hipPo3 said:
Hahaha .. my bro bought F.E.A.R directors edition ... apparently it costs the same price as the orignal now o.0
Is the directors edition better? If so, in what ways?

05er, love what you've done to the cartoon whore...

Komaticom said:
By the way, pinkelephant, you can "gun" me down anyday ;)
;)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well I love them.
The games take a long time, but they are pretty good if you enjoy turn-based strategy.
Apparently Civ IV is brilliant for 1 player, but their multiplayer is even worse than the current civ 3.

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
It contains extra stuff like a making-of doco, commentary, some live-action rendition of the game's story and maybe a comic book thing.
Oh ok. Sounds "exciting"...

hipPo3

HSC
Komaticom said:
It contains extra stuff like a making-of doco, commentary, some live-action rendition of the game's story and maybe a comic book thing.
yea .. i found it piontless. But since it was the same price as the original might as well aye ..

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
hipPo3 said:
yea .. i found it piontless. But since it was the same price as the original might as well aye ..
I spose - BARGAIN!!!

I love a good bargain myself. I bought Morrowind on XBOX for just $15. gotta love it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)