• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

failing a subject at uni, does not make u dumb (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
At the start of the year and when I was in year 12, i thought mannn anyone that fails a subject at uni, must not be made for it or are dumb, can't handle it.... in a nutshell i basically thought failing a subject at uni was a reflection of your ability. But just going through uni for one semester has made me realise... it's not a reflection of how smart you are.. it's a reflection of how much time you have to study!!

It shits me to no end when people look down on you and crap if u've ever failed a subject or you just get passes etc. There's nothing wrong with it.

ps: i havn't failed a subject yet

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Is it really heaps more demanding than high school? I've gotten mixed responses... from what i've heard any sorta arts degree usually involves alot of writing, work n shit and apparently science degree's aren't that strenuous? help?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
nah it gets to me- cause im lazy and when it comes to work and i know if i actually bother putting in effort i could do it (even though it would be hard) id be thankful later on...i have a feeling im going to be putting in alot of effort for uni..............

DAMN

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I have a feeling i told myself before year 12 'THIS IS THE YEAR I'M GUNNA STUDY!' then before my trials 'OK TIME TO STUDY NOW!', then before, during the current hsc 'OK BETTER STUDY!', i still haven't..... I think i'd tell myself i'm going to study in uni... but i won't... if i make it to uni lol

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
lol same- most ppl do that except a few odd ppl who are that worried about not doing their work and getting marks to make their life better

but im very lazy- i study the night before and then get depressed over bad marks

i cant help myself out ever

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
apparently science degree's aren't that strenuous?
I'm doing BSc with one artsy type subject, and the science subjects are a looot more work than the arts one.
Try having subjects with 3hrs of lecs with about 10 billion concepts crammed into each lec, + 3 hrs of lab work which then requires you to write a report, it gets pretty strenuous...the amount of reading/writing for reports can get just plain crazy, and then theres study on top of that...basically, whoever told you that has no idea what their on about.

EDIT: anyway, what I came here to say, before I was distracted :)p), my biology demonstrator, who is quite possibly the most intelligent man I know, failed two subjects in his under-grad degree, it can happen to anyone, just because you get FF on your academic transcript doesn't mean you suck.

Last edited:

shannonm

HSC
N/A
haha whys everyone here overrating uni workload so much?
trying to make current hscers nervous or something?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
No, I think we're being realistic, esp as the majority of HSC kiddies think uni is purely about getting pissed (well, it is, but theres work involved too)

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I'm doing BSc with one artsy type subject, and the science subjects are a looot more work than the arts one.
Try having subjects with 3hrs of lecs with about 10 billion concepts crammed into each lec, + 3 hrs of lab work which then requires you to write a report, it gets pretty strenuous...the amount of reading/writing for reports can get just plain crazy, and then theres study on top of that...basically, whoever told you that has no idea what their on about.

EDIT: anyway, what I came here to say, before I was distracted :)p), my biology demonstrator, who is quite possibly the most intelligent man I know, failed two subjects in his under-grad degree, it can happen to anyone, just because you get FF on your academic transcript doesn't mean you suck.

Yeah, science is a bitch :p i have only done one science subject and it had a pretty big workload. And with the failing subjects issue, I had a tutor first year who failed the course that he was tutoring back when he was an undergraduate, and is now doing a Phd in the same topic :p

doe

HSC
N/A
"only failure makes us experts."

getting pwned shows you your weaknesses so you know what you need to work on.

fool me once, shame on you
fool me twice, shame on me :)

S

Shuter

hipsta_jess said:
No, I think we're being realistic, esp as the majority of HSC kiddies think uni is purely about getting pissed (well, it is, but theres work involved too)
But maybe it's just you people who are used to being pushed and having to put alot of effort to learn things in school find it hard to put in the additional time required at uni on your own. But for me, I put in incrediably little effort at school, I just couldn't work in class, wheras uni will probably suit me much more as it's way more individual learning required and motivation.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I went to a public school, I was never pushed to do anything!!

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
hipsta_jess is right. I went to a public school as well, and was never pushed to do well. At the start of the year I had to adjust to the fact that I wouldn't get HD's for science and law, which was fine. But I think I've put the same amount of effort in as last year (if not more) and even now I only ever hope to pass an assessment. The standards are much higher, and the lecturers often like to think you should know the course inside out.

Don't be discouraged though, every course is completely different.. :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
most people i know that have failed things have openly admitted to not working hard enough, or not working at all. Uni is hard, but not so hard that its impossible to do well. In most subjects ( some exceptions) if you do the work, you will pass. But you cant really expect to pass by doing no work, so its really common sense.....

Generator

HSC
N/A
Uni isn't that bad. In time you get used to the work (which is as demanding as you want it to be).

On the topic of failing... Each to their own, I think. I cannot stand my results, but I am yet to fail a unit (I'm moving into my 6th exam period), my WAM is hovering around 74 and I have only ever received two pass grades (both in the 60s and for maths units, too). Though I may not look down upon those who fail as such, I do ask them how they managed to do so, because in my mind I cannot see how it is possible (I have always thought that just turning up and attempting each assessment should be enough to pass).

Not-That-Bright, most degrees tend to be comparable in terms of the required workload, it's just that the nature of this work may differ substantially, such as between say an arts and a science degree. Personal strengths also play a role, too.

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Generator said:
On the topic of failing... Each to their own, I think. I cannot stand my results, but I am yet to fail a unit (I'm moving into my 6th exam period), my WAM is hovering around 74 and I have only ever received two pass grades (both in the 60s and for maths units, too). Though I may not look down upon those who fail as such, I do ask them how they managed to do so, because in my mind I cannot see how it is possible (I have always thought that just turning up and attempting each assessment should be enough to pass).
Why did your signature used to say "BSc, BA (USyd), failing too" then:p?

Anyway, as I have said before, I don't think University is that hard at all in respect to the subjects I have done so far but I think it definitely differs across degrees, as by the sounds of it I would be failing something like Engineering miserably. In the subjects I have done I think that you would have to be doing something pretty wrong to fail. I agree though that the harder you work the better your grades will be, as long as you have at least some grasp on the concepts:).

Generator

HSC
N/A
Merethrond said:
Why did your signature used to say "BSc, BA (USyd), failing too" then:p?
I was going through a 'F*** uni!' phase :). Something like that tends to happen at least once a year, I think. Part of the experience, I guess.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)