• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

failing a subject at uni, does not make u dumb (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Science and arts, economics and engineering... Each is just as demanding as the other in its own way.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I agree. I'm keeping afloat with respectable marks in my Science subjects (Nano, Chem, Biochem and Forensics) but stick me in an arts subject and I'll be in Failure City. I'm just not capable of handling all the reading and essays, I work much better in a laboratory.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Arts is not a bludgy, "easy" degree. If you want to do well, you have to work. Just like with any other degree. If you want to make it a bludge, you can, but you won't do very well. This is what I learnt last semester.

I'm pretty good humoured with arts jokes, but there comes a point where it borders on insulting, because I put a good deal of work and study into my degree. You think essay writing is a breeze?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Phanatical said:
Arts and Science are fucking easy degrees. The hardest degree offered at USYD is the BMus (Comp.). Everything is worth only 3 credit points, and they expect 6 hours of study/practice + 1-3 contact hours for each of those 3 credit points subjects. So when you do a load of 24 credit points, it's a real bitch. Science students have it easy, and Arts students can get fucked - I do an Arts subject, it's the easiest subject on my transcript.
Sorry, I'll have to flame you too
What gives you the right to say which course is easy and which is hard? This is coming from someone who is boasting about their wonderful UAI of 75ish
I won't even bother explaining why science is not an easy degree. I'll go as far as saying that arts still requires a lot of effort to do well in. Geez, some people are so naive. You go make the world a better place by playing fantasie impromptu a bit better. Pfft.

santaslayer

HSC
phark...im gonna fail contracts....

its combforting to know that some of australias judges have failed contracts too...:p

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Whats with people continually having a go at arts degrees??? Its not like if you show up, you pass.. there is work involved!! I've just done two with stacks of group work! and its so annoying becuase of the way the groupwork is weighted you have to pass one assignemnt just to pass the course.. ridiculous...

I cant speak for science, im not into it, but dont knock arts.. its starting to get annoying

santaslayer

HSC
PrincessSJ said:
Whats with people continually having a go at arts degrees??? Its not like if you show up, you pass.. there is work involved!! I've just done two with stacks of group work! and its so annoying becuase of the way the groupwork is weighted you have to pass one assignemnt just to pass the course.. ridiculous...

I cant speak for science, im not into it, but dont knock arts.. its starting to get annoying
I got laughed at by an arts student because their final exam was a written essay that was given to them at the start of the year. Piss me off...:p

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
The hardest degree offered at USYD is the BMus (Comp.).
Tried Medicine or Law lately? Me neither, but I imagine they'd be a tiny bit hard and demanding.

Your comments directed at Science/Arts students were totally uncalled for. Unless you have both degrees under your belt (not just one or two subjects..), I suggest you refrain from making an arse of yourself in the future.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
PrincessSJ said:

As opposed to 60% exams?

santaslayer said:
I got laughed at by an arts student because their final exam was a written essay that was given to them at the start of the year. Piss me off...:p
I had an arts student ask me 100% seriously "what comes after the introduction?" (in regards to a report we were writing). Took quite a bit of effort not to laugh. Especially when they then went to ask what actually went in intro/methods/results/disc.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
phark...im gonna fail contracts....

its combforting to know that some of australias judges have failed contracts too...:p
Contracts is heaps fun though. At least that's what I've heard, maybe you just don't have the capacity for logic :p

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
music is so not the hardest degree! i reckon vet is. (but then i would...) but seriously, apparently even med students look at our workload and gasp.
I've heard that engineering is hard too, and advanced science. Dont really know about anything else, but people make so many assumptions about how hard a course will be. Agriculture is a hard course with a high workload, but the UAI is only 70ish. Theres no way you can really tell how hard a course is until you've tried it yourself. People cant tell you because everyone has different ideas of what is hard and what is not.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i think my degree is pretty cruisy.. especially psychology subjects...

i actually think arts subjects are a lot harder than marketing and statistics... (i've done them both) .... there's a lot more involved and really hard to get HDs in, whereas with marketing and statistics is possible but with arts... its almost impossible!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Don't laugh at Music students. I know some and he's not exaggerating, the load is frightful. Then again, classical musicians (and composers) don't exactly have a laid back life...

And don't bring UAI into this. At all. Ever. We have already established that the difficulty of the course is independent of the popularity of said course, leave it there.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mm I know someone that went from Law to a Music degree - you have to be very intelligent to do a Music degree I think

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
most of my art/design subs are cruisy (academically) but the practical components are quite demanding... i'll be flat-out finishing everything on time.

as for journo.. i'm so behind it's not funny. already had two all-nighters to finish a portfolio for it last week. AND there's a test this week and writing exercises, total worth 60%

so in effect, 90% of marks for journo are assessed within two weeks. :(

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Don't laugh at Music students. I know some and he's not exaggerating, the load is frightful. Then again, classical musicians (and composers) don't exactly have a laid back life...

And don't bring UAI into this. At all. Ever. We have already established that the difficulty of the course is independent of the popularity of said course, leave it there.
even architecture is all that hard too, i heard if the teachers dont like the models made they scrunch it up for you and tell you to do it again, and again until they think its reasonable.

santaslayer

HSC
Mambomeg said:
music is so not the hardest degree! i reckon vet is. (but then i would...) but seriously, apparently even med students look at our workload and gasp. .
Mmm..actually, I've had a number of adults..(OK, I am one too..but I mean oldies) tell me the same thing too. They reckon Vet Science is harder than Med. I'm in no position to comment. :p

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
it makes sense though, if you think about it, we have to learn all the same stuff, but for multiple species of animals, in a years less time (5 years as apposed to 6). So realistically we will have to cover a lot more work in a shorter amount of time, so our workload is higher. I'd actually prefer to do it over 6 years, that way thered be less cramming, less stress, and more retention of knowlege.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
How about we agree 'difficult' is a relative term and we stop with the childish "my degree is harder than yours" bickering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)