• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Firefox 1.02 (1 Viewer)

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
sunny said:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Software Update.
Uhuh, when updates are available, a small red icon (notifier) comes up right under the maximise button. All you have to do is click it to update.

Again shame on them that previous versions do not get uninstalled. Bad.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
redslert said:
i'm just saying it's bad programming and logical thinking

as i said before, having to uninstall and then install defeats the entire purpose of having the auto update notifier which steps you through the installation
why dont u join the mozilla foundation and help out with the programming and logical thinking?? they are always wanting suggestions, and programmers to bring these suggestions to life - and by the sounds of it.. you sound like a perfect candidate

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
JimmyK said:
why dont u join the mozilla foundation and help out with the programming and logical thinking?? they are always wanting suggestions, and programmers to bring these suggestions to life - and by the sounds of it.. you sound like a perfect candidate
there has already been numerous amounts of articles written about the flaws and this was one of the listed problems

malkin86

HSC
teeg88 said:
Earlier today, decided to update both my laptop and the desktop to 1.0.2 and the latest adobe reader plugin (a well-known issue between adobe pdf plugin and firefox which had the tendency to freeze, but the latest version 7 is quick and no problems at all so far). On the laptop I used the auto-update tool and I couldn't load my default profile afterwards as it said it was 'being used'. Guess I could've tried a reboot, but just deleted it and made a new profile.

Uninstalled on the desktop, and installed a fresh -- all good.
What you could do in future, is go Ctrl-Alt-Delete and force-quit Fx from there, and then restart Fx. Just one of Fx's "quirks". :rolleyes: More can be found at the MozillaZine Knowledge Base , if you want to be forewarned.

JimmyK

HSC
redslert said:
there has already been numerous amounts of articles written about the flaws and this was one of the listed problems
what was one of the listed problems?? the fact that firefox is open source?? i dont see how that could be a problem - look at linux, open office, apache and many other open source programs - I honestly cant see how firefox, as an OSS, would be any different.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
JimmyK said:
what was one of the listed problems?? the fact that firefox is open source?? i dont see how that could be a problem - look at linux, open office, apache and many other open source programs - I honestly cant see how firefox, as an OSS, would be any different.
Jimmy, no offense but wtf are you taking about. This is a pretty gay and basic bug that you'd think they would have had the decency to fix. The fact that the software is open source is no excuse and I do not see the corelation. Firefox is just not that great and not that different from other browsers. They totally hyped it and made it look like you're uncool if you don't have firefox yet they leave major bugs like that in their software, it just doesn't make them look very professional.

malkin86

HSC
I agree with HellVeN - Fx's problems have nothing really to do with the fact that it's open source, more with the fact, I believe, that it is:
a)overhyped as being for general usage
b)barebones unless you wanted to chase down half a million things
c)buggy.
I prefer the Mozilla Suite over Firefox, cos you don't have everyone trying to convert you to it, it's fullfledged, and it's not as buggy.

JimmyK

HSC
i understood it as:
one of the flaws listed was that it was open source
You posted:
"there has already been numerous amounts of articles written about the flaws and this was one of the listed problems"
after I was writing about you contributing to the mozilla foundation. It made it seem like you didnt like the concept of OSS.

Anyway. to defend firefox.. even though I don't use it - I draw your attention to the article in last tuesdays Sydney Morning Herald section 'Next', titled Firefox explorers.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
JimmyK maybe you don't read forums very often and is new to the concept, but you are arguing with a couple of different people and using my quotes and laying them down as if others expressed it.

I'm 100% for open source, in fact i just spent the last two hours reading the information released by google on its open source website

you shouldn't really quote from SMH, since its really aimed at middle aged people who uses a computer straight out of a box without anything added. A different type of internet browser other than IE would be an entire new concept...which is one of the major reason why micrsooft hold the greatest audience with internet explorer - it's out of the box software

JimmyK

HSC
I visit this forum almost once a day if not more posting quite often - trying to be as helpful as i possibly can. Everyones posts, last time i checked, are open to interpretation and if I interpreted your post 'wrong' according to you, I'm sorry, but what I posted was my interpretation of what you appeared to be saying.
It's very good to see you are for open source! :)
and SMH is great journalisim - maybe its target audience isnt quite aimed at a 17 year old teenager who likes reading the newspaper every day, but I'm just trying to use a reliable source to back up my argument. I ask you this though, if the target audience is what you say it is - why is there a collection of articles over 2 pages on how good firefox is? The mass media *usually* don't introduce new concepts to people!

tristan88

HSC
malkin86 said:
What you could do in future, is go Ctrl-Alt-Delete and force-quit Fx from there, and then restart Fx. Just one of Fx's "quirks". :rolleyes: More can be found at the MozillaZine Knowledge Base , if you want to be forewarned.
I know, but I couldn't get into Firefox to begin with, and there was no firefox in the process list, after updating.

malkin86

HSC
That's just silly on their part... *still doesn't like the 'Fox*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)