• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Frontline and techniques (1 Viewer)

vivien

pleeeeease help me clear some thing up!!! I've looked at some exemplar answers and they have hardly any camera techniques (eg, high angle shot) BUT my teacher keeps on stressing the importance!!!!whats the go? So i was wondering if anyone had any specific examples of scenes in the episodes "The Siege," "Playing The Ego Card" and "We ain't got Dames." - much appreciated
ALSO
can anyone give me a definition of verisimilitude, and subterfuge?
Muchly appreciated!!! oh the pain of being a procrastinator!

Lolliana

um someone gave a great def of versimilitude on another thread, i cant remember who are where exactly, though its in the adv forum

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The main thing to focus on in terms of camera techniques is the means through which Frontline creates the image of realism (How the fictional show appears to be 'real'), with techniques such as imperfect framing and the use of handheld cameras..

We wanted to make it look like a documentary.

A good example of mise-en-scene is seen in 'Playing The Ego Card', where Mike and Marty are discussing Brooke's 'ambitions', and a framed photo of Brooke is between them.

As for the definitions..
I might be wrong, but verisimilitude generally refers to 'objectivity', whilst subterfuge is undermining, subversion and whatnot.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Verisimilitude is making something look real or "true". As for camera angles - they're useless to be known in themselves, its what they *do* or add to frontline that is important. I wouldn't be focussing too much on them, there are far more important things. Like gregor noted - rather be able to quickly relate that the handheld/grainy/raw images that are imperfectly framed make it appear as though its a documentary and give an appearance of integrity and realism to the show - inviting you as a viewer to partake in and believe the truth about current affairs which they are propagating :)

Check this thread, a lot has been covered already:
Forntline thread

Last edited:

allyteaded

Camera techniques? Lesse - well, camera tracking and numerous jump cuts in "The Seige" opening sequence creates tension, sets up a sense of "rush," "urgence," "importance."

You know Camera angles right? High angle suggests the subject is inferior. Low angle (as in worm's eye view) gives the subject superiority - a sense of power.

(copying and pasting definitions from WordWeb)

verisimilitude: The appearance of truth; the quality of seeming to be true

subterfuge: Something intended to misrepresent the true nature of an activity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)