• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

General Interest Degree - What's the point? (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Don't see this as a dig against arts/social science/other general interest degree students, but can someone please explain to me the point of doing them outside of personal gratification? I mean, what sort of job prospects, aside from scholarship, does an arts degree or any of these degrees offer upon completion? I mean big woop, you majored in Philosophy but which employer would really give a shit if you haven't got the professional qualifications to perform a certain job?

Personally, I believe that University is the place to go to set you up with qualifications for a future career, and if you want to learn something for personal interest (i.e. history) do it outside of Uni in your own time so it doesn't hinder your ability to obtain a decent job.

That's my 2 cents - what about yours?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
a lot of these people go into education.

arts people could do journalism as a career if they major in the right stuff probably. some might want to be authors. maybe archeologists or historians.

uni isnt all about getting a job. its for learning.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Universities have been around in the West for a thousand years, and even longer in the East (the Ancient world had their philosophers' circles). Of that millenium, probably around 12-20 times your own lifetime, only the last 50 or so have ever seen students turn up with the primary purpose of "finding a job".

University is a place to enrich the mind, and to learn more about something than anyone else simply because it pleases you to do so. Why else would the people who work there do it on the cheap? If you just want a job, go to TAFE - university is not now, nor will ever be, for you.

Last edited:

Acid

HSC
lukebennett said:
uni isnt all about getting a job. its for learning.
Sure, but why not learn something that will aid you in financial stability in the long-term? And then outside of Uni study any other topics you're interested at your leisure.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
some people dont know what they want to do as a career yet and to waste years either doing nothing or wasting your time on sometihng you dont like which is laborous is just stupid.

life aint about money. some people feel intellectually satisfied by learning. a course doesnt mean youll even get a job anyways so why do a course in the hope it will get you a job in an area you dont even like

berghousemaa

HSC
Learning for the sake of learning is far from being a pointless exercise. The simple truth is that by undertaking a liberal studies degree most of these students will emerge from uni more balanced and well rounded than those who do a professional degree.
Have you ever thought that in the long term this may give us a distinct advantage in the work place.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
the first university ever to appear on the face of this planet was actually in bagdad in iraq
and the west copied and the east copied
but universities began in iraq in bagdad
and das fact

peace^^

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Dingo2004 said:
the first university ever to appear on the face of this planet was actually in bagdad in iraq
and the west copied and the east copied
but universities began in iraq in bagdad
and das fact

peace^^
where do u get ur sources from?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No you can't, especially since it's particularly difficult to define "university" and "not university" when speaking of the ancient world. :p

But it is true that during the middle ages the Arab world was siginificantly further advanced than the West (who fell dramatically after their ancient auspices).

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Asquithian said:
lol...and thats why you are a commerce student :)

Enjoy working in a bank.
That's why I'm a Commerce/Arts student, so I can get the best of both worlds :D

Acid

HSC
Asquithian said:
lol...and thats why you are a commerce student :)

Enjoy working in a bank.
LOL and you're doing law... that's even more boring! :)

Anyway no point in continuing this discussion - different strokes for different folks I guess.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
"General Interest Degree - What's the point?"....hmmm sounds to me like another version of "why do you guys diss arts degrees". Is this Part 2? :p

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Another debate on the purpose of universities - to train or to educate ... ...

Degrees don't get you jobs. You knowledge, skills and personality does.

hello99999

HSC
jasee said:
"General Interest Degree - What's the point?"....hmmm sounds to me like another version of "why do you guys diss arts degrees". Is this Part 2? :p
I agree, hasn't this subject been discussed to death enough already?

Jeevers

HSC
This is an interesting topic...whether to educate or train . :D

Look, it ultimately depends on what you want to do...if you want a degree to get a job, you are sacrificing potential skill sets but may have more street cred. If you want a degree because you are interested in it only, then higher level education will always guarantee you long term prospects and probably more interesting job prospects. It all depends on having a goal and aiming for it, whatever it may be.

Again, that's my 2 cents worth of input.

:uhhuh:

Jeevers

HSC
And thanks for reconfirming the fact that there are plenty of stereotypical cynical Law Macquarie Dictionaries out their in the universe.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Jeevers said:
And thanks for reconfirming the fact that there are plenty of stereotypical cynical Law Macquarie Dictionaries out their in the universe.
That's enough you two. We've had enough course bashing this month. :)

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
OMG People who study Medicine are fucking morons! As if you'd study that shit. You'll never get a job with that sort of degree...

because, you know, a doctor isn't a real job. :)

ZabZu

HSC
Im starting a B Social Science, majoring in Political Economy. After the degree, or during if i dont like it, im intending to do Commerce/Economics. I know that i would get paid substantially less being a Social Science graduate than Commerce but doing a major in Political Economy and many other Arts/SocSci subjects can get you a reasonable job. I was thinking about majoring in something like history or politics and international relations because i felt i would be more interested in it but as you (Acid) say the job opportunities would be much less.

If i had got a UAI high enough to do comm/eco i would have done a combined degree and i reckon lots of people are in my position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)