• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

GENERAL MATHS~ help!! (1 Viewer)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
leannespeaks said:
yeah.....btw...i not only have a deadshit teacher....but also a pyscho as welll...

our common conversation:

"ohkaay shut up you litttle kiddies! my wife's been nagging me last night and i don;t want any of your mouths open, YOU (points at me), you have been staring at the whiteboard(his written question) for like an eon now...what's wrong?

Me : sir, i really need help with this...(desperate cry)

sir : ohkay ....i'll come to you in a sec..

me: (waits until he answers everyone's question whic would often take about at least half the period... i would then try to attempt other questions written on the board)

5 minutes before the bell..

sir : *he comes to me * oopss.. sorry about that, now what is your question?

me : (upset) never mind, i already ask for help from (insert name of one of the smart fellows in the class)

sir : oh ok...carry on!!

NOW YOU SEE WHY...
keep reminding him, put ur hands up and constantly remind him, if he goes nuts just ignore him. Maybe there are teachers that are kind enough to help you, eg the head of mathematics?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
heyyy ! =] wow .. i didn't know your teacher was so badd .. maybe you could try talking to him and tell him the issues that you have .. if that doesn't work .. study groups and stuff would be a really good thing. You can all help each other and also improve on each others knowledge. The best way to learn is to teach it yourself .. or something like that .. ahah .. ^^"

leannespeaks

HSC
humglish said:
I go to a comprehensive High school, and nobody fails general, in fact if you get less than 80% everyone galks at you.
sorry, not to be a bitch but yeah, general is easier than 2U, no ifs or butts about it.

clearly she isn't that good with maths, so I'd just try and pass, then drop it at the end of year 11. meanwhile concentrate on everything else

HUGS YOU TIGHT~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i go to a comprehensive high school too!!
and..yeah..maths is the only subject i'm weak in ryt now...the rest of my subjects i got like above 85 or the 90's..

and i think everyone else in this thread have really keep my spirits up ... i guess.

thanks a lot (big grinny smile)

..good prediction HUMGLISH.....i was "planning" to drop gen. maths this year, if my parents agree though :(

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
magpam said:
lol parents these days

honestly what makes maths so important that other subjects
Its applicable in all apsects of life.

cs01001

HSC
General maths is not as easy as some see it. The whole course is not based on theoratical stuff like 2U, 3U etc but more practical maths and no Calculus.

Hmmm... English, I have a mixed feeling about this subject...

ccc123

HSC
cs01001 said:
General maths is not as easy as some see it. The whole course is not based on theoratical stuff like 2U, 3U etc but more practical maths and no Calculus.

Hmmm... English, I have a mixed feeling about this subject...
Hmm yeah, true (about Gen maths). I mean, by no stretch of teh imagination would i call it hard, but it is does have a lot more practical applications then 2u, and LOTS of finacial based crap. It's also very tedious, which makes ir easy to make careless errors.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
if you've got any friends that are quite nice, and are willing to help you out, ask them for help. 3U maths people generally tend to confuse you, so try get 2U people xD
and 3U people get pissed off more easily due to extra workload also, so dont bother them XD

best thing to do is complete all your homework, if you don't understand, ask teacher until you understand, don't be like "i dun wanna ask, they'll think I'm a dumbass"...no, in fact, maybe thats what others also think...trust me, lots of people dont understand and dont ask...even if they do know it...so what? you don't understand, you ask. no big deal, it's the people that DON'T ask that's stupid.

but tutors really help, but if you don't want them, then i guess you'll just have to work harder, like do more exercises out of your textbook

Miroku

HSC
This can be applied for other subjects as well:

10 TIPS FOR STUDYING:
1.You must LIKE MATHS. Look forward to going to your maths lessons and enjoy it. Think about only positive things. When you understand Maths well, you will like Maths and do better.

2.LISTEN in class

3.Do all the HOMEWORK

4.Make a short SUMMARY.(Should contain all essential information and easy to read) If you understand the concept by doing 1 and 2, only a very brief summary is neccesary. Even if you understand completely, you will forget eventually. Short term memmory only lasts for about 1 day. After a week you can only recall information with about 20 percent accurecy. So, read the summary frequently and in short time.(Otherwise you are waisting time)

5.Only reading summary does not help you memorise in long term. Doing questions, especially harder problems makes you think, and you may learn somethinkg important from it. REVISION should be planned and take place in short regular sessions. Efficient revision is fostered by working at your correct biological time.(e.g you may be able to study better in the morning) and under comfortable conditions and without any distractions.eg TV.

6.Always have a POSITIVE ATTITUDE to studying. Don't become lazy. Biggest failing is to give up. Sometimes competing with others and trying to beat them helps but, improving your mark than previous result is most important. When your mark improves, teachers and other students like you more and you get more motivated.

7.Before the exam, cover all the topics that will be in the exam, by reading your summary and doing questions from each topic.

8.Drink lots of water, sleep before 12 am.(Best time is before 10 pm, it is said that your brain gets smarter) Not enough sleep deteriorates your IQ. Eat 3 times a day at the right time. Do some physical exersise , eg running in the morning, but not too hard because you lose your motivation. Continuous effort over long period of time is most important. For example, fat pple who diet and lose a lots of weight in short-time tend to gain weight again. On the other hand who lose weight slowly tend to stay fit.

9.Dont waste time reading studying methods, and HSC study guides etc. Develop your own studying method that suit you the best.

10. Don't get too stressed by HSC. Dont take it too seriously. HSC is important, but i never heard someone commit suicide because of HSC. Do your best.

cs01001

HSC
Miroku said:
10. Don't get too stressed by HSC. Dont take it too seriously. HSC is important, but i never heard someone commit suicide because of HSC. Do your best.
Yes, there was a girl at our school who committed suicide because of HSC stress 2 or 3 years back...

HSC
there could be many reasons, one of which could be they wouldn't have been content not finishing school, and thinking school was the only way to uni and therefore ruined their chances in life, for example.

off the topic, but my japanese teacher was telling our class about the high suicide rates after graduating from high school in japan. apparently it's because for many japanese students everything is about getting into the best university, and whether they do or not, they commit suicide because either i) they didnt make it, so they failed and have nothing left to live for or ii) they did make it and now they have nothing new to live for

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
^ deep down part of me feels like that .. ive never once considered another option besides uni and its just the way things have always been .. my main goal hasnt just been to make it into uni but to go into a sucessful course, do well and have a great future ..

i really don't know what i'd do if i found out i couldnt make it into uni .. id be too distraught ..

what im trying to say is that watatank is right. Schooling and educatin can mean everything to some people and maybe close to nothing for others. But whether its worth giving up your life is a whole different thingthing ..

HSC
no he didn't. he said it happened 2-3 years back, presumably to someone 2-3 years above him during their hsc.

cs01001

HSC
Oh, I think she was in Year 12 in 2004 or 2005, not too sure. Anyway, it was pretty sad cause the principal told us someone in Year 12 hanged herself overnight in the bathroom, quite disturbing really. It might not be the pressure from HSC exams alone that lead her to commit suicide, it might be a mix of high parental expectations and other external pressures. She was Asian, I believe...

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
i just hate 1 thing about General Maths!
well i just hate the fact that we have textbooks
actually if i dont have a text book ill probably be in the top 5 in maths
but now i merily pass
and that is known to be just past
i dont know y they mak us have textbooks!

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
expertdkx said:
i just hate 1 thing about General Maths!
well i just hate the fact that we have textbooks
actually if i dont have a text book ill probably be in the top 5 in maths
but now i merily pass
and that is known to be just past
i dont know y they mak us have textbooks!
could you explain that ?

how do textbooks have anything to do with how your going in general ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)