• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Getting an idea of the concept of belonging, as well as ORT's... Help? (1 Viewer)

SophxMusic

HSC
Hey guys so we have just started Year 12, and are doing As You Like It as our prescribed text.
I understand the idea of belonging/not belonging to a place, person, group, the world at large etc, but what sort of questions do they ask? Like are the questions usually asking you to explain the effect of belonging/trying to belong/not belonging, or things like 'our sense of belonging is largely based on our connection to place'.
Basically, how deep do these concepts of belonging have to be explored? I know that they can be explored in social/political/racial/etc senses as well.
And for my ORTS so far, i'm thinking of doing To Kill A Mockingbird, as it details belonging to place (home town), class and social segregation, racial division, connections with family and community, and also looks into isolation from the world at large with Boo Radley and his refusal to communicate with the world outside his house. I am pretty set on this one, what do you guys think?
Also, I want to do Fight Club as my second related text. I know it has been done a bit, but if i explore the concepts of belonging outside of the 'club' and look into the deeper desire to belong to the mass consumerism of the modern world, as well as his increasing withdrawal from reality and conflict between him and Tyler, in terms of being the same person yet finding vastly different identities through their respective connections with people and place. I think i could go a lot deeper, but do you think that it has been TOO overused to even attempt it? And even if i go into the deeper issues, will it have deep enough meaning of belonging to make for a good essay?
Thank you :)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing to kill a mockingbird aswell, its a pretty good book. I reckon I'll be able to get plenty of belonging themes/techniques out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)