• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

getting into UTS through TAFE. (1 Viewer)

CloudSkye

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering...

I have failed terribly in high school in the HSC, with a free beer mystery mark...
then went to tafe and found that what I was studying there was terribly boring and just dropped out and am now currently working with my father..

It came to me that most of my family and relatives do work within the building, carpenting and decorating areas, and I am quite interested in studying Building and Construction (BUILDING) in tafe...

My questions are,

1. I am planning to study the building/construction course in TAFE, so will UTS take me in after my studies in TAFE after having found that I have shown better than avg marks?

2. Would my HSC and UAI marks have anything to do with getting into UTS from TAFE if I had studied building/construction in TAFE?

3. If I studied in building/construction for 2 years for example, and get to transfer into UTS, does that mean I begin in third year?? orr do I have to start all over in first year?

I havent really researched hard enough to find this kind of information, but I havent found anything yet and my friend and I are planning to go next tuesday to enrol so... I have to hurry up. Any help will be cool and I hope you guys can answer me asap!!! Thank you!

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
1. I am planning to study the building/construction course in TAFE, so will UTS take me in after my studies in TAFE after having found that I have shown better than avg marks?

2. Would my HSC and UAI marks have anything to do with getting into UTS from TAFE if I had studied building/construction in TAFE?

3. If I studied in building/construction for 2 years for example, and get to transfer into UTS, does that mean I begin in third year?? orr do I have to start all over in first year?
1. Maybe. It really depends on if the UTS course is related to the TAFE course. A construction course at TAFE may be significantly different from the UTS construction degree. I'm not entirely sure what TAFE courses would be acceptable, as I haven't looked. I'll leave that up to your best judgement. If you do extremely well, they will definitely look at it in a favourable light, but it's still no guarentee.

2. This depends on how old you are. Usually, if you're under 25, they will play some part-- but a lot of this can be overlooked if you have significant industrial experience or you did well at TAFE. Apparently, The Design, Architecture & Building faculty will overlook your UAI if you lack qualifications but can pass the STAT and have 'significant industrial experience'.

3. You will not get out of two years of uni. You could, theoretically speaking, have worked in the construction industry for 30 years and have every TAFE qualification known to man and you still wouldn't get out of two years of uni. If what you have completed before being accepted into UTS is of relevancy to what you'll be studying, you can be granted up to a 50% waiver. It's unlikely you will be granted a 50% exception, but I do know a person who was able to skip 5 subjects (roughly 20%).

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Hey guys, just wondering...

I have failed terribly in high school in the HSC, with a free beer mystery mark...
then went to tafe and found that what I was studying there was terribly boring and just dropped out and am now currently working with my father..
!
Ah, now I have always wondered how the free beer thing works. Do you just take a copy of your BOS Record of Acheivements up to the RSL and get your free beer or what's the go with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)