• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Getting Wii online (1 Viewer)

efhat

HSC
Bought a wii recently but I cant seem to get it online......im using a mobile broadband connection on my pc, like a mini modem, so does anyone know how i could connect my wii to the net using that? also its connected through 3 mobile, so if any1 knows whether it is compatible, plz let me kno...thanx!!

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Can u connect the mobile or modem of yours stright into the Wii? if u can then it might connect. Work on xbox360.

PS disconnect all your mobile and just connect your modem to wii

efhat

HSC
its usb so it does go straight into the back......ive plugged it in, and it flashes which means it picks up the network but it doesnt want to connect to it......

kretzy

HSC
I think the only way you're going to get it to work is if your computer supports internet sharing over wifi. I doubt the Wii will be able to connect using the modem.

If you have a Mac, it's easy to turn on internet sharing...go into system prefs > sharing > then make sure internet sharing is selected.

I'm not sure if this can be done in windows or not...someone else might know.

HedgeMaster

HSC
I suggest using a wireless router to create a network so the wii can feed of that, of not that, u should the usb port on the Wii and get a "USB ethernet adapter" which make you plug basically lan cables for a regular router straight into the wii for the connect to the net, whihc is prolly the easiest, but the adapter is a good $50, which is abit steep. If u've got a regular router, its easier to replace it for a wireless for about $70, and with that ur own network, but only work if ur pc's have wireless cards.

efhat

HSC
i have a wireless router, but coz of the type of modem (mobile) there is no way for me to connect the router to the modem......i tried connecting the router only to the pc and testing it while internet is connected and the wii picks up the router, but once again it wont connect.....any ideas?

efhat

HSC
so for example, my laptop running xp has inbuilt wireless capability, so i plug in my modem, run the internet and then what? doesnt that mean that the laptop can only receive internet, but not send it?

kretzy

HSC
The laptop will receive the internet signal and then if you follow the instructions in the link in my previous it will create a wireless signal which the Wii should be able to connect to.

efhat

HSC
right, so i plug the modem into the laptop, create an ad hoc network ,and then the wii should be able to pick that up?

efhat

HSC
nope.....tried it, the wii picks up the network but wont connect, it says it cant find the ssid, but they r both exactly the same........*sigh*.......i asked at eb games today and the guy rekons it'll work if i use the nintendo wifi usb connector......the damn thing is 70 bucks! i mite as well try it out, if not then blah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)