• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Good luck for tomorrow's MX2 and Advanced papers! (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I'd like to wish all students doing either Extension Two or Advanced good luck for tomorrow's paper. I am sure that MX2 will have a couple of surprises in it.

Remember to always try to make connections to the previous part, even if they do not explicitly say "Hence" or "Deduce".

Please do not leave any multiple choice options blank.

Use the first few minutes of your reading time to plan your time in the paper. Use the rest of it to figure out the geometry question whilst you're still somewhat calm.

Do not bother writing out the conclusion for Mathematical Induction problems, stop once you've completed the inductive step.

Marks may be awarded for the loosest bit of related working out. You may even be awarded one mark for just stating the Sine Rule for a question that needs it, even though you can not progress any further than that.

Sleep is underrated when it comes to exams. You care a lot more about your exam when you've had sleep.

Don't have too large of a breakfast or too much water before the exam, you don't want to waste time going to the bathroom or being jittery because you have to go.

If you know you will need more exam booklets, ask for them during reading time (part of the planning process)

Keep a watch on you. Too many of my students have told me that they organised their time poorly because they couldn't see the tiny clock in the enormous hallway.

Draw diagrams in pencil first and draw over in pen if you have time.

For geometry problems, ALWAYS copy down the diagram, even if they do not explicitly tell you to do so. This way they can follow your working out and see what progress you've made, even if you didn't formally write down what you proved. Trust me, marking geometry is a bitch when you don't have their diagram to follow, even more so when you label things and don't tell us.

Remember to think of restrictions for any locus problems. Try to be as pedantic as possible as to where the point cannot be.

For geometry, using things like "Alternate Segment Theorem" is okay, you do not need to describe the entire theorem. If your school teachers have told you otherwise, they are not telling the truth.

Try to keep your handwriting neat, even under time pressure. It makes a good impression when your working out is neat and your handwriting is easily readable. Tells us that you know what you're doing and not just accidentally stumbling into the answer after some fudging.

Know when to move on from a question. Is that one mark that you "know you can get, but just can't at the moment" , really worth spending 15 minutes on?

Maintain a mathematical mind. Keep thinking "What is the mathematical or Geometric significance of this result?" this will often help you get out the harder questions.

When you finish a proof or "Show" question, end your working out with a confident // or hash. Perhaps even a QED if you're feeling super confident. It gives us more confidence in your working out.

Do not white out or cross anything out beyond recognition. You may be crossing off potential marks.

For goodness sake, one question per booklet please.

To revise now, read through worked solutions. It's too late now to do actual questions at this stage, unless you really need it.

Know how to use your mathematical tools. They may mix topics together.

Have a 'silly error' list handy on the day for you to read, containing common errors that you as a student often make.
That's all I can think of now whilst on the John.

If you have any more questions, please ask them here and either myself or one of our knowledgeable community members will answer your question.

I will be doing solutions for the Extension 2 paper tomorrow, keep an eye out for them!

wishingstars

HSC
Thank you so much for the well wishes Carrotsticks. Good luck to everyone else! :D

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

I'd like to wish all students doing either Extension Two or Advanced good luck for tomorrow's paper. I am sure that MX2 will have a couple of surprises in it.

Remember to always try to make connections to the previous part, even if they do not explicitly say "Hence" or "Deduce".

Please do not leave any multiple choice options blank.

Use the first few minutes of your reading time to plan your time in the paper. Use the rest of it to figure out the geometry question whilst you're still somewhat calm.

Do not bother writing out the conclusion for Mathematical Induction problems, stop once you've completed the inductive step.

Marks may be awarded for the loosest bit of related working out. You may even be awarded one mark for just stating the Sine Rule for a question that needs it, even though you can not progress any further than that.

Sleep is underrated when it comes to exams. You care a lot more about your exam when you've had sleep.

Don't have too large of a breakfast or too much water before the exam, you don't want to waste time going to the bathroom or being jittery because you have to go.

If you know you will need more exam booklets, ask for them during reading time (part of the planning process)

Keep a watch on you. Too many of my students have told me that they organised their time poorly because they couldn't see the tiny clock in the enormous hallway.

Draw diagrams in pencil first and draw over in pen if you have time.

For geometry problems, ALWAYS copy down the diagram, even if they do not explicitly tell you to do so. This way they can follow your working out and see what progress you've made, even if you didn't formally write down what you proved. Trust me, marking geometry is a bitch when you don't have their diagram to follow, even more so when you label things and don't tell us.

Remember to think of restrictions for any locus problems. Try to be as pedantic as possible as to where the point cannot be.

For geometry, using things like "Alternate Segment Theorem" is okay, you do not need to describe the entire theorem. If your school teachers have told you otherwise, they are not telling the truth.

Try to keep your handwriting neat, even under time pressure. It makes a good impression when your working out is neat and your handwriting is easily readable. Tells us that you know what you're doing and not just accidentally stumbling into the answer after some fudging.

Know when to move on from a question. Is that one mark that you "know you can get, but just can't at the moment" , really worth spending 15 minutes on?

Maintain a mathematical mind. Keep thinking "What is the mathematical or Geometric significance of this result?" this will often help you get out the harder questions.

When you finish a proof or "Show" question, end your working out with a confident // or hash. Perhaps even a QED if you're feeling super confident. It gives us more confidence in your working out.

Do not white out or cross anything out beyond recognition. You may be crossing off potential marks.

For goodness sake, one question per booklet please.

To revise now, read through worked solutions. It's too late now to do actual questions at this stage, unless you really need it.

Know how to use your mathematical tools. They may mix topics together.

Have a 'silly error' list handy on the day for you to read, containing common errors that you as a student often make.
That's all I can think of now whilst on the John.

If you have any more questions, please ask them here and either myself or one of our knowledgeable community members will answer your question.

I will be doing solutions for the Extension 2 paper tomorrow, keep an eye out for them!
thx man

nightweaver066

HSC
Oh, and this may be of some use.

From the Mathematics Association of NSW.

http://i.imgur.com/p6kL6AB.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]

cool picture carrot

Great list of tips btw! Definitely things that I took in to mind before my exam which helped immensely. :)
The silly error list was probably the most beneficial for me.

Good luck everyone :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
cool picture carrot

Great list of tips btw! Definitely things that I took in to mind before my exam which helped immensely. :)
The silly error list was probably the most beneficial for me.

Good luck everyone :)
Haha if I recall correctly, I got this from you.

I was sifting through files in my old hard drive and found it by chance. Thought it may have more use here =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)