• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Good Tips for Year 11 Preliminary and tips to aim for 99.5 ATAR (2 Viewers)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yes, that's true. He's pretty hilarious, but I can never quite decide whether he actually seriously believes everything he says or not. Btw, I love your sig haha :D

@annabackwards he thought 'anna' was a pseudonym and you were actually called nicole or something haha. I do admire your patience in all the debunking though, nice work :]
Hehe, nah my name is Anna and thanks ^^

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Yes, that's true. He's pretty hilarious, but I can never quite decide whether he actually seriously believes everything he says or not. Btw, I love your sig haha :D

@annabackwards he thought 'anna' was a pseudonym and you were actually called nicole or something haha. I do admire your patience in all the debunking though, nice work :]
LOL thanks :) I'm flattered. :rolleyes:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't know about other courses, but for UNSW med, Chemistry is recommended.
(and English Standard is assumed)
What about USyd? Same? [I recall you did ESL?]

What's the difference between ESL and Standard?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
What about USyd? Same? [I recall you did ESL?]

What's the difference between ESL and Standard?
For Usyd combined med, the only assumed knowledge is that of the degree that medicine is combined with.
I.e. If I do advanced science-medicine (which I will), MX1 or 2u maths is assumed due to the adv sci degree.
They don't care what level of English applicants did for the HSC.

And the differences between ESL and standard are:
1. ESL is regarded as an easier subject than standard.
2. Paper 1 for ESL is different from that of standard and advanced. (more reading section, no creative writing section (although there usually is an 8 marker in the reading section that is slightly creative), essay with higher marks (and 2 core texts, 1 related text))
3. There are only 2 modules for ESL, whereas both standard and advanced have 3. One of the modules do not require essay writing, but rather a bit of creative writing and various text-types learning.
4. There is an additional listening paper for ESL (which I think is the reason why there are only 2 modules). The listening paper focusses on both comprehension and speech/literacy technique analysis.

Last edited:

mioumiou

HSC
Be more organise and have a study plan. Don't try to study for hours and hours, study 30 mins and have a 5-10 mins break.

I agreed that doing ESL is better than standard, but only if you can do them (if the school allows you) just saying if you stayed in Australia for over 5 years.

Have a great holiday everyone!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)