• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Greatest Sell Out Band Of All Time! (1 Viewer)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
glycerine said:
Haha I admit it, I got pained when Modest Mouse started playing on the OC and getting reviews in Cosmo. ;)

Jewel I think can be named as the biggest sell-out in music history. You know I'm right!
i know, how annoying is it when a band you like starts getting played on the radio? it's like a kick in the face

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
glycerine said:
I still maintain Jewel! Jewel Jewel Jewel Jewel!

From this:

circa 1996

to this:

circa 2004
that is by far the most perfect visual representation of selling out i have ever seen...
you deserve to be the most repped person on here.

but anyways enough of the praise... that article of korn's said this

2 : to betray one’s cause or associates

When pertaining to punk rock, this usually also entails changing one’s sound to writing more “poppish,” radio-friendly, and polished songs. Those bands who “sell out” get famous, and generally earn quite a bit of money.

Well, let’s take a look at that. In order to “sell-out” in the punk rock world, a band needs to achieve several things:
a) Someone needs to be offering to pay a band for them to change their sound in a required way.
b) The change has to be something that the band wouldn’t drift to if they weren’t being payed, i.e. the bandmembers dislike the change (but are doing it for the money).
c) The band has to have the ability to just wake up and change their sound and/or style.

IM BACK TOM TALKING NOW
i would agree with all of this except that someone needs to be offering to pay them... a band can manufacturer its new sell out form of music hoping that someone will pick them up or that they will have more mainstream success...

i hate what the author says about blink in the last bit though. i love blinks new sound, its so heavily influenced by old school 80's punkers like the cure...

HSC
TurboTom said:
i hate what the author says about blink in the last bit though. i love blinks new sound, its so heavily influenced by old school 80's punkers like the cure...
Too bad they suck. They sold out ages ago, back with Enema of the State or whatever its called, although personally I don't think they ever had enough of an alternative feel or following to be capable of selling out, their music has always been geared for commercial success

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Trippendicular said:
Too bad they suck. They sold out ages ago, back with Enema of the State or whatever its called, although personally I don't think they ever had enough of an alternative feel or following to be capable of selling out, their music has always been geared for commercial success
Agree 100%

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
withoutaface said:
No idea, just googled the lyrics in Tom's sig
only google the second one... thats the quiet things that no one ever knows by brand new

the top one is there's no I in team by taking back sunday

HSC
N/A
Stabbing Westward

Kinda went from a somewhat mainstream-sounding-industrial band (for the first three albums) and then suddenly decided to make a fourth album filled with mainstream-mainstream soppy, emotional love ballads, which fortunately didn't sell too well.

Then the band broke up.

Well there's an example of selling out going totally wrong.

HSC
ShatteredDreams said:
Stabbing Westward

Kinda went from a somewhat mainstream-sounding-industrial band (for the first three albums) and then suddenly decided to make a fourth album filled with mainstream-mainstream soppy, emotional love ballads, which fortunately didn't sell too well.
That was a very strange turn of events, totally didn't see that coming. (And not being sarcastic)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I don't think Brand New sold out...

Apparently they say A Simple Plan and were manufactured to the max. I dunno, this guy that went and saw Green Day told me that A Simple Plan sounded like they haven't played together as a group ever....

that or they're just shit in general. Either way's fine.

HSC
Alicia Keys sold out big time in my opinion, just jumped on the singer/songwriter bandwagon that was big at the time

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Trippendicular said:
Alicia Keys sold out big time in my opinion, just jumped on the singer/songwriter bandwagon that was big at the time
come here so i can cut you.

Last edited:

pristine

HSC
stabbing westwards was quite an awesome band .

so's the dresden dolls.
bright eyes.
silverchair.
nirvana.

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
pristine said:
stabbing westwards was quite an awesome band .

so's the dresden dolls.
bright eyes.
silverchair.
nirvana.
No.
None of those bands are awesome.

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
come here so i can cut you.
I like the added emphasis on 'cut you', how romantic. David Bowie sold out to an extent, although Labyrinth is still a classy movie

spiny norman

HSC
I came in here to say The Who.

You can not imagine how unoriginal I feel at this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)