• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Habib on 60 Minutes (1 Viewer)

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
it looks like he was treated humainly to me, i mean he was in a gaol tho and they're not fun for anyone.
of course gaol isn't fun but I'm pretty sure electric shocks, having cigarette burns to his body, being beaten, having a prostitute with a used tampon in her hand and having a picture of his wife's face among near-naked women and osama is certainly nowhere near being a humanly treatment.

I don't know which world you've been living in mate :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Wow the US must have alot of time on their hands if they can do all that to all the people there.

maybe they do. Maybe they don't. But three years is a long time. And like I said, that is not humanly treatment, or do you still disagree with me there?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
He was a fairly suspicious guy.. like what do you want them to do? They could have tortured him and got out any possible info faster, or just left him in there forever just incase...

I'm not saying it was perfectly humain treatment, i just doubt it was as bad as some people want it to be exaggerated to be and i also feel it is necessary especially when you're trying to screen so many people.

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
He was a fairly suspicious guy.. like what do you want them to do? They could have tortured him and got out any possible info faster, or just left him in there forever just incase...

I'm not saying it was perfectly humain treatment, i just doubt it was as bad as some people want it to be exaggerated to be and i also feel it is necessary especially when you're trying to screen so many people.
Maybe you should twist your words and ask me what I didn't want them to do. If a guy is suspicious then he may be arrested and detained, questioned etc. etc. BUT never do harsh physical harm to him. That is human rights, regardless of the person's crime. Human rights. Ha. Americans did an excellent role in that area. Yes, they could've have totured him. But that doesn't mean electric shock, having a photo of his WIFE with other near-naked women. How would you feel if you were tied in shackles in prison and having US officials show you a picture of your wife with other near-naked women whom you don't even know? Or even a prostitute waving a used tampon in your face and sliding it over your body. That is disgusting!

And, I don't think this is exaggerated. America has power. They can do whatever they want. No-one can stop them. They electric shock, put pictures of immediate families within naked women, and beat the crap out of a guy who suspect is a terrorist because they know they will get out of it.

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
So... you're saying you would of just detained him forever untill hopefully you work out wether he's a terrorist?
re-read my post. Yes they could've tortured him but not do that much of a physical or mental harm to his body (that is electric shocks). Whta I'm saying is that they can detain him, torture him as long as they do not bend the rules of Human rights or POW. But they should not beat the crap out of him or leave cigarette burns to his body. I don't know the rules of HR or POW but I'm certainly sure that it does not include electric shocks, sticking a photo of an immediate family with near-naked women and having a prostitute pose in fornt of you with a used tampon. Mind you, this is completely forbidden in Islam which is why I think the US used a prostitute and photos to taunt him because they know that he cannot bear to see it.

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
that guy never had a chance of coming across as 'innocent'..........although i'm not saying that he is by any means. plus the interview left more questions open than what were actually answered. stupid tara brown !

rama_v

HSC
Kulazzi said:
re-read my post. Yes they could've tortured him but not do that much of a physical or mental harm to his body (that is electric shocks). Whta I'm saying is that they can detain him, torture him as long as they do not bend the rules of Human rights or POW. But they should not beat the crap out of him or leave cigarette burns to his body. I don't know the rules of HR or POW but I'm certainly sure that it does not include electric shocks, sticking a photo of an immediate family with near-naked women and having a prostitute pose in fornt of you with a used tampon. Mind you, this is completely forbidden in Islam which is why I think the US used a prostitute and photos to taunt him because they know that he cannot bear to see it.
Actually the Geneva convention forbids any torture against POWS. In fact the only thing that you can do to a POW is ask him/her a question, the POW need not even answer. If there is any doubt as to whether a prisoner is a POW or not then they must go through a trial and determine this on a case by case basis. Until this is done, all suspects must be presumed to be a POW. You can read more into it at this link.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/rules-of-war3.htm

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Bec, they weren't investigating HIM non-stop for the whole 3 years... Think about how long murderers have been suspects by police before they're finally caught...
But we don't lock murder suspects up for 3 years before doing charging them do we, and them decide "ooops we have no evidence, we're gonna have to let them go" I mean after 3 years? I'm sorry, but that's really pushing it. Innocent untill proven guilty and all.

ZabZu

HSC
LadyBec said:
Just beacuse he went to the region doesn;t make him a terrorist.
Personally, I think if he was guilty, or any real threat the US would a) have found some kind of eveidence to charge him with or b) created some evidence.
The fact that they had 3 years and found nothing argues fairly strongly for his inocence
I never said he was a terrorist and at the moment i dont believe he is/was a terrorist. I was wondering how many times he went to the region because the woman on 60 minutes asked him how could you afford to travel there so many times.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Habib is not a POW, let's get that straight. He is an Australian, not an Afghan. he was detained by Pakistani police while travelling on a bus, apparantly for questioning the arrest of a colleage he was travelling with. The Habib team says he was in the region looking for work, housing and a school for his children. He wanted to leave Australia because he was facing threats from other Sydney Muslims. He does not hate Australia. Whoever suggested that he did is very ill-informed.

His role as an Australian citizen touring the region should have rendered him immune to American arrest. Our government requested information on Habib's status and location from the Americans on a number of occasions, however on each occasion we were rebuffed. Alex Downer himself- "when we've sought this information we havn't been given the information".

This next paragraph is of immense interest to me- from today's SMH-

"...pressed by journalist Laurie Oaks as to whether the US refused to tell Australia whether they had abducted Mr Habib and taken him to Egypt, Mr Downer said 'I'd have to check'".

The reason why this is interesting is because if the Australian Government wants to avoid defeat in the court case Habib plans to launch against it (him sueing Aust. Govt for failing to protect him), the only way of winning will be proving that it was unaware of Habib's transfer from Afghanistan to Egypt. The reason why the Government must proove it didn't know is because Egypt's reputation as a country that favours the use of torture is well-known. If the Government is successful in doing this though, it will be known that America did infact withold information from us regarding Habib's location. This will undermine the integrity of our relationship with the US, severely, which is not a good thing especially when our Prime Minister puts so much emphasis on it as being facet of current Australian prosperity.

Whatever the outcome of the court case, the Government is up shit creek. If Habib wins it should proove Australia's failure to protect its citizens (compounded with whole Cornelia Rau affair= not good for the Liberal Party). If the Governmetn wins though, it will be known the US failed- possibly refused- to supply us with information regarding the well-being of our own citizens.

Court case will be interesting!

Last edited:

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Asquithian said:
The average Australia doesn't give a shit about 'some arab' (ie someone who is not white) muslim who goes a 'little that way' complaining about being tortured. Nor do they give a shit about some lady being locked up in detention wrongfully for 10 months.

No one cares. the Liberal party popularity will not change as a result of these incidents.

Interest rates MIGHT up up .25 of a %. A 1% interest rate rise would be more negative to the Liberal party popularity than the recent incidents.

It shames me to know that our good Labor men and women are going to have to win the next election by arguing something as rediculous as the Libs' failure to keep interest rates down, rather than force government change through the real issues.

K

katie_tully

What about the Green's woman on the news this morning:

"Sexual assult and torture should be illegal"

.. Well...um...yeah.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
katie_tully said:
What about the Green's woman on the news this morning:

"Sexual assult and torture should be illegal"

.. Well...um...yeah.
I knida thought they were :p
isn't that the point :rolleyes:

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
Mr Habib seemed very nervous and blinked a lot during the questions about being a terrorist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)