• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Half-Life 2 v Halo 2 v Doom 3 (2 Viewers)

ScubaSteve

Komaticom said:
Doesn't Far Cry have better graphics than Half Life 2?
I heard you can see the shadow of individual leaves on your rifle when walking through a forest.
It's hard too say, Farcry's graphics are all-round good, but it's Half-Life's attention to detail that makes it better. Graphically, I think they're close. But the gameplay is alot better on Half-Life, which just got repetitive on Farcry.

equiski, nevermind the fact that I said it. Which would imply that it was my opinion, which in any case can't be wrong, because it's my opinion. Anyway, justifying xbox with Halo sales is stupid, so what it sold 5 million copies (I even bought one), not one other xbox game sold over 500,000 copies (except for maybe Halo2), which would suggest that xbox is a 1 game machine, and it is.

"WITHOUT STATING ANY RESONS!!", erm, read my comment that you quoted from and I think you'll find a very good reason. In fact I'll quote it myself;

"I don't see what the fuss is with Halo2, perhaps because halo1 is the only decent game on xbox to date. But, other than that halo2 still isn't that great, it's the same 3d platform plus a few extra vehicles, missions and lame weapons."

There, over 3 reason, in the same post that you quoted from.. Amazing!

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
HoloHoaxVictim said:
halo1 is the only decent game on xbox to date.
So you're implying that Brute Force, Burnout 3, Chronicles of Riddick, Colin McRae Rally 04, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Dead or Alive 3, Def Jam, Elder Scrolls Morrowind 3, ESPN NHL 2005, Fable, Full Spectrum Warrior, Gladius, GTA Double Pack, Halo 2, Jet Set Radio Future, LotR: Return of the King, Madden NFL 2002/2004/2005, Mashed, MechAssault, MGS2: Substance, MVP Baseball 2003/2004, NBA 2003, NCAA Football 2003, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Pro Evolution Soccer 4, Project Gotham 2, Rallisport Challenge, Shenmue 2, Silent Hill 2, Soul Calibur 2, SSX 3, Knights of the Old Republic, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Tony Hawk 4/U/U2, True Crime, Voodoo Vince, X-Men Legends, and Yager are all less-than-"decent" Xbox games?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Komaticom said:
So you're implying that Brute Force, Burnout 3, Chronicles of Riddick, Colin McRae Rally 04, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Dead or Alive 3, Def Jam, Elder Scrolls Morrowind 3, ESPN NHL 2005, Fable, Full Spectrum Warrior, Gladius, GTA Double Pack, Halo 2, Jet Set Radio Future, LotR: Return of the King, Madden NFL 2002/2004/2005, Mashed, MechAssault, MGS2: Substance, MVP Baseball 2003/2004, NBA 2003, NCAA Football 2003, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Pro Evolution Soccer 4, Project Gotham 2, Rallisport Challenge, Shenmue 2, Silent Hill 2, Soul Calibur 2, SSX 3, Knights of the Old Republic, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Tony Hawk 4/U/U2, True Crime, Voodoo Vince, X-Men Legends, and Yager are all less-than-"decent" Xbox games?
To be fair, while most of those games are good, the vast majority were either prereleased or released simultaneously on other platforms.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Referring back to HoloHoaxVictim's comment "halo1 is the only decent game on xbox to date", "on xbox" covers all Xbox exclusive and multiplatform releases. I was trying to point out the simple fact that Halo is not the "only decent game on xbox to date". His comment is as ludicrous as saying only one person has ever graduated from university in Australia, "to date".

Xbox exclusive games (at the moment) like Fable, Brute Force, MechAssault, Shenmue 2, Ninja Gaiden, Project Gotham 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Voodoo Vince, and Yager have all been categorised as better-than-"decent" by the gaming community. A few of the mentioned games might be on PS2, but then again I'm typing from memory.

withoutaface said:
most of those games are good
"good" > "decent"
My point is valid then, is it not?

Last edited:

somethingwitty

HSC
"To play Half-Life2 successfully you'll need 2ghz+ processing & atleast 500 mhz ram, but you might get away with less.. Not sure about the gamecard, Radeon 9600 (or equivelent) will probably do, but make sure your drivers are up-to-date."

Untrue. I've played it on a whole range of systems:

My own cobbled together Frankenstein: Ath Xp 2200+, 768mb pc3200 ram, geforce fx5200 ultra (rather low-end specs for the game) :runs well, about 45 fps at 1024x768 full detail

My girlfriend's laptop: Mobile athlon 3500+, mobility radeon 9700 pro, 2gb ram: runs excellently @ 1280xwhatever, about 70 fps

My best friend's beast (that incidentally i bought and built, and she stole): Tyan dual p4 3ghz's, 4gb ram, x800 xt pe: runs incredibly well at custom widescreen res (running on a plasma screen) close to around 1600x1200, at full detail and with full anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering, about 120fps.

Yes, I am a secret nerd. It's not even a secret anymore.

i really would rate HL2 10 out of 10. it is awesome. best gameplay, ai, storyline i've seen in ages. Halo 2 i havent played but many of my friends say it's lacklustre. Doom 3 was too dark, even with gamma all the way up.

HL2 all the way.

C

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Lexicographer said:
Knights of the Old Republic? Still haven't got that game...
Don't bother. The sequel's coming out. Hurrah!

equiski

HSC
somethingwitty said:
"To play Half-Life2 successfully you'll need 2ghz+ processing & atleast 500 mhz ram, but you might get away with less.. Not sure about the gamecard, Radeon 9600 (or equivelent) will probably do, but make sure your drivers are up-to-date."

Untrue. I've played it on a whole range of systems:

My own cobbled together Frankenstein: Ath Xp 2200+, 768mb pc3200 ram, geforce fx5200 ultra (rather low-end specs for the game) :runs well, about 45 fps at 1024x768 full detail

My girlfriend's laptop: Mobile athlon 3500+, mobility radeon 9700 pro, 2gb ram: runs excellently @ 1280xwhatever, about 70 fps

My best friend's beast (that incidentally i bought and built, and she stole): Tyan dual p4 3ghz's, 4gb ram, x800 xt pe: runs incredibly well at custom widescreen res (running on a plasma screen) close to around 1600x1200, at full detail and with full anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering, about 120fps.
Will you tell me what version directX codepath you are using on each computer? I'm particully curious to whether you're using directX 7, 8 or 9 on your home system; because it is simular to mine (p4 2.4ghz, 1gig ram, FX5200). I'd be happy if i could run Half Life 2 in directX 8 mode with an average of around 30FPS.

PS If i become your friend will you give me an awesome duel P4 puuta with a plasma screen? Please?!?

somethingwitty

HSC
equiski said:
Will you tell me what version directX codepath you are using on each computer? I'm particully curious to whether you're using directX 7, 8 or 9 on your home system; because it is simular to mine (p4 2.4ghz, 1gig ram, FX5200). I'd be happy if i could run Half Life 2 in directX 8 mode with an average of around 30FPS.

PS If i become your friend will you give me an awesome duel P4 puuta with a plasma screen? Please?!?

she owns the plasma. she lives over my back fence, and she just stoled the computer that i sunk a good $3500 into... but she's kinda hot. so i'm cool with it.

using dx 9.0c, that comes with the game. as far as i can remember.

do you have some strange clinical allergy to dx9? otherwise, why wouldn't you use it?

equiski

HSC
somethingwitty said:
she owns the plasma. she lives over my back fence, and she just stoled the computer that i sunk a good $3500 into... but she's kinda hot. so i'm cool with it.

using dx 9.0c, that comes with the game. as far as i can remember.

do you have some strange clinical allergy to dx9? otherwise, why wouldn't you use it?
Yes, of course i have DX 9.0c , but Half Life will utilise DX8 and even DX7 compatible rendering methods inorder to facilitate for non-directX 9 hardware and slower cards. From what I have read, the program detects the video hardware and chooses what it thinks is the best codepath for your computer. You can see what codepath it is using by going to the Advanced Video options and looking at the "Hardware DirectX Level". There are minimal visual differences (apart from framerates) between the DX9 and DX8 rendering methods, mainly to do with how water is rendered and certain lighting effects. Meanwhile, DX7 rendering really limits the game's visuals. If you are getting 45FPS on your FX5200 ultra using DX9 or 8 rendering, I will run down to kmart and buy halflife 2 as soon as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)