• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hecs (1 Viewer)

bio_nut

HSC
Yes, 20%.

Wish I could afford to do that, but overwise HECS is a pretty sweet deal.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Thanks to my parents, I can get that sweet 20% off. Ill have to pay them back though, sadly.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
philphie, have a read of the 'Information For Commonwealth Supported Students 2010' Booklet. It should explain it all and answer your questions.

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/05FB27A6-1F1B-43CD-9244-D92B6388BDC1/0/HECSHELP2010PDF.pdf
dear god, i've had a look at that^ and its so confusing!!! with all the SLE and the adding, and subtracting and multiplying and census date and CGS!!!!!!

isnt there a 5 line summary of that lying around somewhere OMG!!!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
dear god, i've had a look at that^ and its so confusing!!! with all the SLE and the adding, and subtracting and multiplying and census date and CGS!!!!!!

isnt there a 5 line summary of that lying around somewhere OMG!!!
the education department makes the whole thing a lot more complicated than it needs to be. key points are:

- unless you want to pay off your HECS debt early, then you don't need to pay anything up-front. just give your uni your TFN when you enrol and you're away, and then you don't need to think about it again for the rest of your degree. (assuming you're an australian citizen; permanent residents and NZ citizens get treated differently, and international students differently again.)

- once you start earning above a certain threshold - i think it's around $40,000pa - you'll pay somewhat more tax every year until your debt is paid off.

that's basically all there is to it. all the rest of the alphabet soup (SLE, CSP, etc etc etc) is stuff you don't really need to worry about unless you plan to work in the education bureaucracy.

LordPc

HSC
how much would text books costs? do we have to buy like 1-2 text book for each unit we do?
depends on the course. for some courses you dont buy a textbook, but you buy a course pack, which basically a couple hundred pages of printed course notes. these are cheaper than textbooks only $20-40

other courses require textbooks, which can get expensive. a rough range would be $50-150. you can experiment here Textlist Search|The Co-op Online Bookshop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)