• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP. :( anyone go to a decent public school? (1 Viewer)

zombiebrains

HSC
my family's decided to move homes, and they wont tell me why, but it looks like i have to move schools as well, which SUCKS. the school i go to right now is too far away, id have to get up at 4am to make it there. so i'm kind of screwed, really

strathfield is where im moving. anyone know of, or better, does anyone go to a decent public school round those parts? it doesn't have to be in strathfield, just around the area, within an hour's travel by train, but preferably less...

by decent i guess i mean, the people dont bring knives to school, there arent student bashings every other day, academically it's not too shabby, the teachers arent shit, everyone is generally nice, etc. i dont kn;ow, maybe that's asking al ot. and im a girl, but id prefer coed.

my parents wouldve preferred a selective school (asian), but i know for sure that applications closed months ago. im not even sure that non-selective schools would accept me at this point, because i'm in year 10 right now, but i have to go to school somewhere.

please, please help. :( im really kind of desperate..... if you cant tell. thanks in advance

also: does every school take in a new class of students in yr11, or is it just selective schools? im not really looking forward to being the sole new person..

James747

HSC
Well, strathfield girls and burwood girls are the "better" public schools that come to mind... and those private schools like pymble, presbyterian, etc...

And I'm pretty sure every school takes in a new class for yr 11. We have a new class at my school... almost all being international students though..

HSC
N/A
It helps if we know whether you're a guy or a girl. :)

What is your current school?

It's possible to consider private schools- you can try enrol.

Now's a bit too late for selective applications... most don't accept people in Year 12 anyway. I suppose public schools have to accept people who enrol... I think. There might be new people if there are 7-10 campuses nearby.

I don't live near the area, so I don't know, but you should look around. Other people on this forum may be of more help about nearby schools.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Make a list of all the schools within a half and hour trip from where you'll live, check those schools against the top 200 lists from previous years, cross off (!) schools that do not appear in the top 200, and then maybe narrow it down to top 100 for the schools in your area ...and finally check the websites (if the schools have them ...or you could call the school to find some more information) and see if you like!!

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i recommend strathfield girls. i've been there before and its a very good school :) both the social and learning environment are good, some great teachers, and regularly produces >90 UAIs.

burwood girls is also known to be good.

coed? hmm...well in that area, the single sex schools are better...
there isn't actually a public coed school for the homebush/strathfield area.

its just homebush boys/strathfield grls.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I agree with James747 and -pari- above :) Went to Burwood Girls myself for about half a year in year 8, I think it was alright. Not that I remember that much though :p

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
When it comes to comprehensive schools....answer is no.

If the bogens dont bring you down, its the bogen teachers that will.
I currently go to a comprehensive high school....and there are so many things in reagards to the staff that pisses me off................:burn:
Try electives schools in your local area, i think they might offer a position for you and since you live locally. And unless you consider yourself stupid....go for selective.

Last edited:

James747

HSC
z600 said:
....And unless you consider yourself stupid....go for selective.
I did not go for selective, and I see nothing stupid about about it......:rolleyes:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
James747 said:
I did not go for selective, and I see nothing stupid about about it......:rolleyes:
Means, if he or she know she/he will have no chance of entering a selective school then dont bother ^^ (no offence what so ever)

lcx

HSC
hey
well i go to cherrybrook tech
and its a pretty good school. lots of choice for subjects and yeh it takes in lot of new people for yr11. yeh ther isn any drugs etc so yeh.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Without Wings said:
Selective schools have already done thier interviews/testing/acceptance for next year.
exceptions?

IceOnFire

HSC
airie said:
Went to Burwood Girls myself for about half a year in year 8, I think it was alright. Not that I remember that much though :p
Burwood Girls... always beat us in grade volleyball. :mad1: My school's team have been runner ups three years in a row now.

Lols well my school is half selective and we are in Ryde. My year is the first year to be selective so our school's ranking is still pretty shit. But we are surely going to make some changes in the 2007 HSC. :)

So I guess you can consider my school since it's not far away from Straithfield and half selective, but only let it be your last choice.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
IceOnFire said:
Burwood Girls... always beat us in grade volleyball. :mad1: My school's team have been runner ups three years in a row now.
:rofl: Haha, my ex-schoolmates must be great at volleyball...XD

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Sooner or later..every school is going to be selective!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
zombiebrains said:
by decent i guess i mean, the people dont bring knives to school, there arent student bashings every other day, academically it's not too shabby, the teachers arent shit, everyone is generally nice, etc. i dont kn;ow, maybe that's asking al ot. and im a girl, but id prefer coed.
What the fuck? Have you been living in a bubble or something?

zombiebrains

HSC
AsyLum said:
What the fuck? Have you been living in a bubble or something?
nah. ive just been to some pretty shit schools in the past. whats your point, asshole?

thanks for the help, people. looks like im going to strathfield girls

Last edited:

IceOnFire

HSC
zombiebrains said:
thanks for the help, people. looks like im going to strathfield girls
Well good luck there!

Personally I would never go to a girls' school, unless it's NSGH or some other high ranking selective school. (Not that I can ever get it in) It's just what I feel, so don't take offence to it people. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)