• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP ME in English please!?! (2 Viewers)

jamesfirst

HSC
I don't advise you rote learning or memorising a pre-written essay and just reproduce it. What happens if the question doesnt apply to your essay at all? Or they give you a specific quote? Of course, do lots of practice questions and use your teachers. They are the BEST source of information - especially for english. They're better than any notes or memorised essay. Write essays, give them to your teacher to mark. Keep doing this. Abuse them.

If you've memorised it, you'd know what to change... Many people who get a band 6 memorise a pre-written essay... They just practiced the same essays with different questions... so you'd know what to change

For creative, try to use heaps of metaphors, similes, descriptive language as this will just drag on the story and it will get boring. First and foremost, a creative needs to be clear.

So.... I should use these techniques because they will drag the story and will get boring ?

aya-chan

HSC
I think writing practice essays and getting them marked is really important. You can do this by handing them in to your teachers - but some teachers at some schools tend to get annoyed if you hand too many in. Try getting an english tutor? Or at least an essay marker.

To maximise your marks, you really need to memorise a strong essay - it doesn't have to be word for word. In fact, it shouldn't be. But you have to know what you're going to say, what points you want to make and what techniques and quotes you want to use. In the exam, you need to ANSWER THE QUESTION. Don't just spit out what you've memorised, but make sure you use what you've memorised to answer the question. That's the single most important thing to do. It sounds so simple, but so many people get it wrong. You can't just waffle on and on about some thing only tangentially related to your argument.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)