• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help needed! Please provide input, anybody and everybody can help. (1 Viewer)

Godamit

HSC
Ok, so, the deal is that our Software class at school is trying to compile a list of legitimate websites (as a side interest thing) which have been blocked be the NSW DET school internet filter. You may have tried accessing a site which you believe to be fine to view at school, yet it was blocked for one ridiculous reason or another.

What I need people to do for me, if you could, is to provide any URL which you believe should be accessible at school yet isn't. If you are kind enough to provide input, please use the following format for a blocked URL:

URL | Reason it is blocked by DET | date accessed (DD/MM/YY) | Reason for accessing

Also, for the sake of keeping the list simple for those who wish to add a new site. Each time someone wants to add a new URL, include the sites from the previous poster followed by your own. This way it'll be easier to get a list of all URL's and so I don't have to manually search through posts, instead I'll be able to simply check the latest post and use that as the update. It will also help avoid duplicates as a new contributor will be able to check the latest post for the latest list and check if a site they wish to add hasn't been provided yet.

To make it clearer, here is an example of how it should look by at least the third post:

eg.
first post:
URL | DET reason | date | Your reason for viewing

second post:

new URL | DET reason | date | Your reason for viewing

third post

new URL | DET reason | date | Your reason for viewing

newer URL | DET reason | date | Your reason for viewing

This is urgent so please help, as I really need people from around the place to help me out here. And for those that do provide input, your help is greatly appreciated.

Edit:

Latest list update:
www.skydrive.com | Online Storage | 20/05/2010 | Storage location from home to school, without need for flash drives

www.live.com | DET Allowed TAFE Course Content Sites | 19/05/2010 | Search engine

www.answers.yahoo.com | newgroup/forums | 19/05/2010 | Q&A site, useful educational answers

www.gmail.com | Email | 19/05/2010 | Trying to access school work stored on virtual drive

www.youtube.com | DET SafeSearch YouTube | 20/05/2010 | Trying to view documentaries

www.softpedia.com | Software downloads | 20/05/2010 | Looking for educational assistance software

www.sharpdevelop.en.softonic.com | Software downloads | 20/05/2010 | coding environment for software students

www.4shared.com | Online Storage | 20/05/2010 | accessing online stored data

www.answers.com |Reference;Newsgroups/Forums | 21/05/2010 | Reference

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well arnt you lazy.

also yahoo/gmail, those sites need to be un-blocked, along with youtube, we're missing out on a lot of important stuff.

P.S. you do realise that we cant get the reasons for the sites being blocked at home right?

Godamit

HSC
I'm asking this community, as people view different things, so I may not get anywhere near the topic someone else might, so I'm asking. I have a list of my own found sites, just I need to get back to school to check the DET reasons.

And yes, I understand people can't check at home, I was just posting this here so for the next school day, if they were feeling nice enough, they might check some out for me, as we can access this site at school, so members of the site can post new sites as they find them at school.

Aeriff

HSC
the DET will never unblock them no matter how much you get on your knees and beg.

that is all.

kcqn93

HSC
I heard that DET does not have a block list but an approved list. lol

but Youtube must be unblocked or approved or w/e, lots of useful documentaries and what not....

Godamit

HSC
I realise that, but I still would like a list of sites if you can help.

This has come up also, partially due to an ex-student now part of a political party coming back to school and asking us if we could get him a list. I realise there is no proper reward for contributors, but I assume people have a sense of generosity, so I was hoping for some help.

Edit: Of course, this ex-student doesn't have access to DET's list which is why he has asked us.

Last edited:

Bemboka

HSC
www.skydrive.com | It has been classified in the category/ies Online Storage| 20 May 2010 | Acts as a storage location from my Home to school without the use of Flash Drives and such.... So much easier.

Godamit

HSC
Thank you Bemboka.
I've added some of the sites I am aware of:

www.skydrive.com | Online Storage | 20/05/2010 | Storage location from home to school, without need for flash drives

www.live.com | DET Allowed TAFE Course Content Sites | 19/05/2010 | Search engine

www.answers.yahoo.com | newgroup/forums | 19/05/2010 | Q&A site, useful educational answers

www.gmail.com | Email | 19/05/2010 | Trying to access school work stored on virtual drive

www.youtube.com | DET SafeSearch YouTube | 20/05/2010 | Trying to view documentaries

www.softpedia.com | Software downloads | 20/05/2010 | Looking for educational assistance software

www.sharpdevelop.en.softonic.com | Software downloads | 20/05/2010 | coding environment for software students

www.4shared.com | Online Storage | 20/05/2010 | accessing online stored data

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
LOOL ^

I dont think you'll ever get them to unblock that one ^^

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
If I recall they have the download for OpenOffice blocked because it is open source, will have a look if I get a chance tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)