• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP on FORMS OF TAOISM ! (1 Viewer)

~> KAReN.

HSC
hey,

does anyone know information about the development of the philosophical, mystical and popular taoism?

thanx* =]

ps: this is for my ISP ... Taoism [A]

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont think people will have much knowledge on this unless they specifically did it for their ISP. Best bet will be to search in a search engine such as google or yahoo

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
if thats your question/hypothesis (or a summary there of), you might want to fix it up
..the development of the philosophical, mystical and popular taoism?
just doesnt sound right......
popular?
mystical?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
According to the syllabus (page 82) the dot point reads

Students learn about .... the development of philosophical, mystical and popular forms of Taoism
I did Taoism for my ISP but my focus was the next dot point (interplay of Yang and Yin in the pattern of life) so unfortunatley, I can't help you that much. As acmilan said, perhaps it would be better to google it.

However, from my understanding (my mother comes from a Taoist family)
Philosophical Taoism is about how one should conducts oneself by Lao Tzu's principles ie. honouring ones family and being a filial son/daughter.
Mystical Taoism would be about the Tao, the nature of the Tao as a force in all beings etc. Popular Taoism would be the worship of Gods such as Kwan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) or Tee Kong (I think its God of the Sky) and the burning of incense etc. asking Gods for forgiveness.

Don't quote me on this though. Look up and do your own research.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
According to the syllabus (page 82) the dot point reads

I did Taoism for my ISP but my focus was the next dot point (interplay of Yang and Yin in the pattern of life) so unfortunatley, I can't help you that much. As acmilan said, perhaps it would be better to google it.

However, from my understanding (my mother comes from a Taoist family)
Philosophical Taoism is about how one should conducts oneself by Lao Tzu's principles ie. honouring ones family and being a filial son/daughter.
Mystical Taoism would be about the Tao, the nature of the Tao as a force in all beings etc. Popular Taoism would be the worship of Gods such as Kwan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) or Tee Kong (I think its God of the Sky) and the burning of incense etc. asking Gods for forgiveness.

Don't quote me on this though. Look up and do your own research.
agrees with and knows the above but Im saying that you shouldnt do them together in that context as it just doesnt sound right.....

IMO...Karen should dvp a rough question first to help her focus on a particular aspect ie mystical or popular or philosophical. Running the three of them together either limits her report or restricts it to pure description+ she will get a hell of a lot of meaningless info via google.....

should have made myself clearer...its saturday and I dont think well of saturdays!!!
LOL

~> KAReN.

HSC
yeh...but u know how there is an area of focus with dot points underneath each...mine has:

- the legend of Lao Tzu
- the development of philosophical, mystical and popular forms of Taoism
- the interplay of Yang and Yin in the pattern of life

don't u have to incorporate all of the dot points beneath the area of focus?

my focus question includes all three points...ujuphleg, didn't u have to do all of the dot points, not jst focus on one of them?

oh..yeh...btw...i have tried searching on the internet and in the library but i could only find a limited amount of information on the development...they mainly talk about what ujuphleg said.

anywayz...thanx* =]

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
~> KAReN. said:
yeh...but u know how there is an area of focus with dot points underneath each...mine has:

- the legend of Lao Tzu
- the development of philosophical, mystical and popular forms of Taoism
- the interplay of Yang and Yin in the pattern of life

don't u have to incorporate all of the dot points beneath the area of focus?

my focus question includes all three points...ujuphleg, didn't u have to do all of the dot points, not jst focus on one of them?

oh..yeh...btw...i have tried searching on the internet and in the library but i could only find a limited amount of information on the development...they mainly talk about what ujuphleg said.

anywayz...thanx* =]
depends upon the school. I dont insist that all dot points are covered as it may prove to be too much plus there is an uneven-ness in the dot points across all of the ISP topics so some students may be doing more if I insist on alldot points. Its not stated in the syllabus to my knowledge, only that your question should come from one of the major points.
A) the origins and historical development of Taoism
∑ the legend of Lao Tzu
∑ the development of philosophical, mystical and popular forms of Taoism
∑ the interplay of Yang and Yin in the pattern of life
(B) the interrelationship of beliefs, rituals and practices and the ethical and moral teachings of Taoism
∑ Tao as the ultimate reality and way of life in harmony with nature
∑ the principle of spontaneous or passive human action
∑ the writings: the Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu
(C) the influence of Taoism
∑ the interaction with Chinese society and culture
∑ the interrelationship with Confucianism
∑ the interrelationship with Buddhism.
You only have to do one of the "∑" points, not all of them. Using your dot points, they dont really link together. I say you should do just one of the examples in your dot point (the development of philosophical, mystical and popular forms of Taoism) as you will be able to do more with it.

There is info out there, you just gotta look!!!

~> KAReN.

HSC
actually i don't think my school will let me only focus on one dot point...i've already submitted in my focus question and it got accepted...yeh maybe it's the school.

=/

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
As snapperhead said, it depends on the school. By focusing on more than one of the dot points, you'll get a rather shallow focus question, which in a 1500 word essay, doesn't allow for very much depth.

Anywhoo, good luck! :)

~> KAReN.

HSC
snapperhead said:
1500???

you were lucky as its supposed to be 1000-1200 words!!

lol
yeh, it's supposed to be 1000-1200 words.

Last edited:

Danoz The Great

HSC
First, she posts like 5 threads practically asking for english ORT's. Now, she's basically getting people to do her work again.

You can't just get people to do your work for you karen. This is a forum for HELP, not answers just given to you. Go away

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)