• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help on UWS (1 Viewer)

mugzy07

HSC
Wassup? said:
I've asked many many graduates and most, if not all have told me that employers do hold a certain degree of bias and they'll definitely choose a UNSW/USYD graduate over a UWS graduate.
yeah i'd have to agree with that.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Wassup? said:
Mate, for all I know, UWS may have a beautiful campus, great social life, great teaching, great everything, but you can't deny they fact that there IS a stigma that hangs around UWS, and employers DO discriminate against those who attain their degree from UWS. You can argue all you like, but those are the facts.

How do I know? I've asked many many graduates and most, if not all have told me that employers do hold a certain degree of bias and they'll definitely choose a UNSW/USYD graduate over a UWS graduate.
#1 - i stated clearly in my comment that there is stigma around UWS.

#2- I'm not arguing that the uni is great or crap, i'm arguing against your belief that your opinion of the uni is on par of those from ex-students.

#3- comments like:

Wassup? said:
Yep, fair enough.

So, bottom line: UWS is crap.

Yes?
do nothing constructive but discourage people from attending a uni that you do not know everything about. all it does is feed the belief that uws is crap.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
Fukin hell why do you people make uws into some kind of joke, why are you all soo obsessed with prestige when you don't consider the fact a degree is a degree from a recognised tertiary institution where all its courses fulfill accreditation requirments, and dont give this crap that someone from uws wont get a job, its just another childish remark if you ask me, its not a matter of what uni you came from, but its more where am i going to be in 10yrs time?

Dont put uws as a shameful uni, besides it does have reputation as far as i know like any other, it hasnt been around long enough thats all, when you consider sydney uni being the first uni in australia its no wonder many people percieve syd uni a better option, the fact its been there longer, the fact its been able to increase its reputation is why its one of the top 100 unis in the world.

Who knows maybe in 10 yrs time uws might be in the top, as far as i know its reputation is growing and more and more people are putting uws courses as first preference.

i think what i have said should let you people think twice before you post bullshit about uws or any other uni.

over n out.

runnable

HSC
But that thing is, chances are we won't end up with the same set of skills by going to UWS than go to say Harvard. Plainly skill-wise, no reputation involved. The reputation is gained mostly through the actual quality of education. UWS' shit reputation might suggest something about its quality too.

runnable

HSC
skyline said:
Dont put uws as a shameful uni, besides it does have reputation as far as i know like any other, it hasnt been around long enough thats all, when you consider sydney uni being the first uni in australia its no wonder many people percieve syd uni a better option, the fact its been there longer, the fact its been able to increase its reputation is why its one of the top 100 unis in the world.

Are you suggesting USyd gained it reputation and world rankings through age? Think again, last time I checked, THES does not take age into consideration of its rankings. The actual quality of education is very much important in setting a university's reputation.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
who are you to say uws has a shit reputation? who are you to say the courses wont cover the same level of skills? dude every course has been designed to meet its specific needs, there is no such thing as not learning enough from one uni then you will from another, its all very much the same and much similar content wise.

HSC
Anonymous friend said:
and i hope us law students dont turn into pretentious wankers. My cousin does law, and she uses legal terms everywhere, shes so gay. she got 86% and goes to western uni (btw do they have practical there too?) anyway, she didnt know this answer to a tv show question once and everyone started laughing and shes like "so what, i do law" agh!!! hope i dont turn out like that!!!<!-- / message -->
UWS ELITISM FTW!

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
yeah well partly usyd gained its reputation through age, because it had much longer experience to prove and improve its quality and educational facilities, uws has only been around for like i dont know 20 yrs or something, its still a fresh uni.

runnable

HSC
skyline said:
who are you to say uws has a shit reputation? who are you to say the courses wont cover the same level of skills? dude every course has been designed to meet its specific needs, there is no such thing as not learning enough from one uni then you will from another, its all very much the same and much similar content wise.
I'm not declaring anything myself. Hearing from year group, ex-Year 12s, teachers, business owners australian rankings and worldwide rankings. I concluded that UWS is crap.

I hope you are not suggesting you get as much out of UWS Law than Harvard Law. If you are, gtfo.

runnable

HSC
skyline said:
yeah well partly usyd gained its reputation through age, because it had much longer experience to prove and improve its quality and educational facilities, uws has only been around for like i dont know 20 yrs or something, its still a fresh uni.

Hey a uni can be as old as anything but if it does not provide a better quality of teaching then it would never have got a good reputation. Imagine a new school, ranked 600 right from the start and doing constantly crap for 500 years. Will it improve in reputation? No.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
regardless of what your marks are, who wouldn't prefer to go to a prestigious university over a shit one? btw, not saying that uws is shit in case anyone's going to slam me for that.

HSC
It's statistically proven that all UWS law students will recieve summer clerkships from Freehills, Mallesons and Allens, regardless of mark.

Statistically.

Matt Samson

HSC
wendus said:
regardless of what your marks are, who wouldn't prefer to go to a prestigious university over a shit one? btw, not saying that uws is shit in case anyone's going to slam me for that.
For the course I am doing, I would prefer NOT to go to uSyd :)

HSC
Matt Samson said:
For the course I am doing, I would prefer NOT to go to uSyd :)
I think the dynamics of reputation change for different degrees. I'd argue UTS communications is more prestigious then USyd.

On that what are job prospects like for budding journalists? I've considered combining communications with law as a fallback if life in a firm sucks, but at least for Newcastle uni there's a 50% unemployment rate.

Apart from writing newpaper articles/TV work where else are journalists used?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)