• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help with subject selections ! (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hey ive just been thinking bout my subject selections and i duno if i wana do them anymore .. ive chose maths 2u, eng adv, bio, chem, ipt & pdhpe .. ii wana change eng adv. to standard .. are they any different ? kos i just HATE english .. bio & pdhpe i dont know if ii wana do either kos bio has alot of memorising and i cant remember anything at all ><" .. and pdhpe ii have no idea bout .. im considering to do society and culture but what kinda things do you do in it ? any essays ? is it like history ? scaling ? and um .. also engineering .. i really wana do it .. but i kinda know nothing bout it .. im guessing there will probably be no girls .. pretty sure there wont .. but what do you actually do ? .. what is it used for ? please help !

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Three words (for your problem with subject selection): contact the school. ;)

Do subjects that you are interested in. And don't worry about who else is going to be a subject, as long as you want to study it. Studying engineering as a highschool subject is obviously useful if you are thinking of a career in that field, there are a variety of different types of engineering you can study in uni and find jobs in.

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Riviet said:
Three words: contact the school. ;)
lol ? .. you mean just ask the teachers and stuff ? people say they are biased and just want to get you into their classes and also for eng. adv. teachers/tutors have reccommended that i do adv. but well yeah ..

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
lol ? .. you mean just ask the teachers and stuff ? people say they are biased and just want to get you into their classes and also for eng. adv. teachers/tutors have reccommended that i do adv. but well yeah ..
Maybe try asking students who are currently studying the subjects that you are considering? There usually tends to be less of a bias from a student's point of view.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
you seem to be kinda scared of work.

remember that no matter what subject you choose - yr 11 & 12 will mean work! don't assume 'society and culture' has less work etc than another subject.

Also your careers advisor can help you out with your subject selections too, so you can try going to him/her :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Your subject choices should also be dependant on what you want to do latter in life i.e. uni or tafe courses. I'm sure there was a reason you original choose those subjects so think long and hard before changing but if you do have doubts make sure you do talk to your careers adviser and change sooner rather then latter.

No matter what course you do in preliminary\HSC you will have to do memorising so that’s another thought to ponder.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
hey ive just been thinking bout my subject selections and i duno if i wana do them anymore .. ive chose maths 2u, eng adv, bio, chem, ipt & pdhpe .. ii wana change eng adv. to standard .. are they any different ? kos i just HATE english .. bio & pdhpe i dont know if ii wana do either kos bio has alot of memorising and i cant remember anything at all ><" .. and pdhpe ii have no idea bout .. im considering to do society and culture but what kinda things do you do in it ? any essays ? is it like history ? scaling ? and um .. also engineering .. i really wana do it .. but i kinda know nothing bout it .. im guessing there will probably be no girls .. pretty sure there wont .. but what do you actually do ? .. what is it used for ? please help !
Change to English Standard immediately, unless you read novels regularly, generally enjoy English and you are able to express yourself confidently.

Do Physics, OK ? It's easy, even easier if you do Mathematics, stuff Biology, I did Physics instead ...
Society and Culture is not for you if you are not ready to be slugged by boring theory ...

If your classes are greatly outnumbered by boys, you may want to change course unless you can counter pickup lines or overpower them ..

.. And if your school offers 1U SLR (Sport, Life & Recreation), do that instead of PDHPE, it is a bludge and has tons of practicals compared to PDHPE which is all theory and the workload is enormous ...

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Riviet said:
Maybe try asking students who are currently studying the subjects that you are considering? There usually tends to be less of a bias from a student's point of view.
hm .. good idea .. ahah .. ii shall do that .. thanks =]

-pari- said:
you seem to be kinda scared of work.

remember that no matter what subject you choose - yr 11 & 12 will mean work! don't assume 'society and culture' has less work etc than another subject.

Also your careers advisor can help you out with your subject selections too, so you can try going to him/her :)
ahahah !! well ii only wana work for the subjects i enjoy .. and yes i did assume that society and culture has less work .. ii though it would be a bludge .. ><"

Kid.@dmin said:
Your subject choices should also be dependant on what you want to do latter in life i.e. uni or tafe courses. I'm sure there was a reason you original choose those subjects so think long and hard before changing but if you do have doubts make sure you do talk to your careers adviser and change sooner rather then latter.

No matter what course you do in preliminary\HSC you will have to do memorising so that’s another thought to ponder.
yes, my subjects were chosen for that exact reason .. but i mean im not fully required to do those subjects .. it would be good but well yeah .. i do have some doubt but ill think bout it ..
& yes i know ill have to memorise things, but like when ii ask people biology all i hear is memorising !! ><"

f3nr15 said:
Change to English Standard immediately, unless you read novels regularly, generally enjoy English and you are able to express yourself confidently.

Do Physics, OK ? It's easy, even easier if you do Mathematics, stuff Biology, I did Physics instead ...
Society and Culture is not for you if you are not ready to be slugged by boring theory ...

If your classes are greatly outnumbered by boys, you may want to change course unless you can counter pickup lines or overpower them ..

.. And if your school offers 1U SLR (Sport, Life & Recreation), do that instead of PDHPE, it is a bludge and has tons of practicals compared to PDHPE which is all theory and the workload is enormous ...
LOL ! i do/have none of those ! ><" ahah .. should i really change ? will it make a difference ?

and i should do physics ? LOL .. what are the concepts ? im gona do 2u but people make it sound like such a big deal like its WOAH !! what are peoples thoughts ? & maybe i wont do society & culture .. ahah .. but is it any easier ? =D

& SLR is like not my thing .. as ii said before i chose pdhpe because of what i wanted to do in the future and SLR was something that had NEVER crossed my mind in doing .. LOL ..

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
what do you want to do when you finish school? also what do you like?
well i want to do pharmacy although i highly doubt i will so maybe pharmacology or graphics design .. something computerish .. hmm what about sdd ? is that good ?

HSC
if thats what you want to do then check what they expect you to have studied in school...

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
LottoX said:
SDD isn't such a great nor interesting course, but I wasn't really interested in it, so maybe you may find it better.

Also: You stopped saying "ii". I'm so proud of you.
AHAHAHAH !! .. lol .. my teachers say that its BORING & that ii shouldnt pick it .. but well yeah .. and ive been trying not to use the ii's but they pop up once in a while .. ^^

$hiftyIceQueen said:
if thats what you want to do then check what they expect you to have studied in school...
& ii have .. and well .. ive already got what is needed for pharmacy/pharmacology unless i change bio ..

oooo !! what about those industrial technology ones ?! hows the graphics or multimedia ones ? .. lols .. im considering some kinda architecture thingy now !! .. =]

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Whoa, so indecisive still! When do you need to hand in your subject selections? We needed to give ours in at the beginning of the week. I didn't prioritize them that well now that I think about it, so I hope that doesn't come back and bite me on the ass.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
well i want to do pharmacy although i highly doubt i will so maybe pharmacology or graphics design .. something computerish .. hmm what about sdd ? is that good ?
Computer Science:
You will need either IPT & Mathematcis Extension 1, WOOHOO for mee !!! I study both !!

Pharmacy:
Chemsitry is definitely one, please .... Study Physics !. Part of the Mathematics course is based on Physics e.g Applications of Calculus to the real word and Chemistry is related to Physics like siblings ...

Why Physics is so easy ?

You don't have to remember the names of millions of species in Biology, you just have to go with formula such as F=ma or V=IR

Study Physics

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I can't wait for Society & Culture! It sounds really interesting and right up my alley.

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
society and culture IS a bit of a bludge.
but i got so bored of it during the first couple of weeks so i dropped it.
it's seriously so incredibly excrutiatingly boring.
DON'T DO IT.
Jachie said:
I can't wait for Society & Culture! It sounds really interesting and right up my valley.
LOL ? .. ummm .. im confuseddd .. ahahah .. ><"

frontin

HSC
Hey sleepeebumz!

LOL you and me are EXACTLY alike

I've already handed in my subject selections about 2 weeks ago but before we had to I WAS EXTREMELY STRESSED

I even dogged studying for my maths test to research all the subjects! I was what you could say OVER-RESEARCHED. Subject selections are extremely important but you can always change them at the start of next year if you REALLY dislike one of your selections.

To me, you seem extremely confused and maybe too "influenced" by peers, teachers and anybody else. Remember its YOUR life and its YOUR subjects. Thats what I came to as a realisation.

I'm really happy with my subjects but am still unsure about if I should've done modern history over legal. But other then that, I know 3 maths 3 english music 2 and eco are definitely something I'll be motivated to study for and enjoy (hopefully). Also all my classes have a few friends and a few acquaintances and the classes are small too so it should be extremely fun with those that I already know and those I will get to know.

Anyway, the bottom line is really to look at your career prospects and if your still undecided on that look at what subjects you will work for. Don't worry if subjects will be a bludge, or scaled up or down (unless its scaled REALLY DOWN LOL) because in the end all Year 11 and 12 subjects have their pros and cons. Just look at each year 11 and 12 course outline/syllabus, go through some HSC past papers and decide which subjects you think you'll understand and you'll do well at, which ones aren't really your thing and the ones you want to do most.

Remember you don't want that chip on your shoulder or "doubt" after your subject selections thinking oh wait I should've done that. Good luck and tell us what your final decisions are once you've made them and hopefully you'll be happy with them.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
LOL ? .. ummm .. im confuseddd .. ahahah .. ><"
It's just a matter of what you like, e.g many people hate maths, but a select few actually enjoy it. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)