• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with summarising :) (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am one of those people who cant summarise because I write everything (I think nearly everything is important). Can anyone give me some tips on how to write good summaries? Also people often say "Summarise to the syllabus" this might sound kind of stupid but can someone explain exactly how that is done? Thanks guys :)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
MS word. Autosummarise. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Melsc - basically just use keywords or keypoints from sentences to summarise. Aslo, it may help you to remember stuff if you also write it in your own words, instead of stright from the textbook. And don't forget diagrams as well. They can be useful for summarising - especially if you do a mindmap. Mindmaps are good, just start eith the central idea and brainstorm the key points (no more than say 5 words) for the major topic.

You better learn to summarise, you'll need it in uni :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Also, it's pretty damn hard to summarise in subjects like legal and eco. In the sciencey subjects it's a lot easier to summarise but that's mostly due to the way the syllabus is worded.

Mandy101

HSC
That used to be my dilemma!! What I do is type my (far too detailed) summary, print it out, then highlight the things I can drop out. I usually find that after I've finished the topic, I know which stuff is relevant, and which stuff can go, and end up with really succinct summaries :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
noooooooooooo word auto summarise is AWFUL. They just cut every 2nd line out practically. DO NOT USE IT!

eco summaries are so easy. They follow the textbook EXACTLY.

i dont know how legal is but by following the syllabus, you should just turn each dot point into a question (in your head), then write enough to (1) understand the concept and (2) answer the imaginary question

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
Jago said:
Economics is worse.
nah i reckon if u just write part of the syllabus down n write importants words you'll be fine... its pullin me through

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Ive told u how 2 b4 melsc
use study guides 2...
macquarie is really good
excel for legal meh... i find macq better
i looked at other ppls notes of BOS b4 making mine
do that 2 c how others do it
if ud like i can send u mine
what u worrying bout but melsc, without making notes u did pretty damn well!
anyways yeah good luck wit it

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Kulazzi said:
Nah, business man.
Business is all right to summarise.
Half the stuff in the "Business Studies in Action" book is either babble, a case study or a picture. If they took all of that out, the book would probably be 250 pages instead of 550... :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)