• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Home Schooling (2 Viewers)

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
davo_ said:
perhaps the former is true (however i wonder if there is any stats to back it up), but i really don't see how a home schooled student could be emotionally (and as you say "thus socially") more able. Home schooling eliminates almost any social interaction, so how is it possible that home schooled person could have greater social skills..? obviously, as you say, each case would be unique.
ive already gone to school for what, 13 yrs.
so i have my friends from my previous schools.
i also do dancing. i have friends from there.
i also go out and go to parties and stuff. i have friends from there.

so what is it you were saying about home schooled people not having social lives/social skills?
one of the reasons i want to do this is so im not stuck in a room full of people talking, as i will talk and not get any of my work done. talking and intereating with others is a social skill. that i have too much of.
i get very distracted by other people. therefore, by me doing homeschooling, i have no distractions, as i have no siblings living at home with me. just my cat who sleeps all day.
so therefore, i will be able to get my work done at a quicker pace with no distractions from other people.

davo_

good kid
HSC
mmm_sofay, the comment was directed towards people whom do home schooling for most of their schooling lives, and not you (i thought that would have been obvious).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'm not going to answer that question, Davo, because it is already covered in BOTH of the links I provided. Read them if you're interested.

I will say, though, that the idea that people learn "adult social interaction for society" from other children their own age also trying to learn the same thing (such as at school) is preposterous. Whether or not homeschooling is any better is covered by those links and the consensual opinion, even by most experts who have experience in such fields, is that homeschooling students receive adequate to superior social interaction and stimulation. Again, if you want to know how or why, read the links.

I don't mean to sound hostile - I just tire of having to try and dispell this common myth each time homeschooling is mentioned.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
davo_ said:
mmm_sofay, the comment was directed towards people whom do home schooling for most of their schooling lives, and not you (i thought that would have been obvious).
oopsie daisy.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i think u should do it if u want to. it'd probably be easier on you in the long run. and u wont turn out retarded or acquire 45 minute food burning toilet habits coz it wouldnt be for long, just your hsc. but i have to agree that kids who get home schooled as a regular thing for all their lives do turn out kinda queer... maybe coz of the social interaction they're missing by being at school. dont let that deter u though, like i said, its only 4 ur hsc n u sound as if ur sick of school anyway. go for it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i think u should do it if u want to. it'd probably be easier on you in the long run. and u wont turn out retarded or acquire 45 minute food burning toilet habits coz it wouldnt be for long, just your hsc. but i have to agree that kids who get home schooled as a regular thing for all their lives do turn out kinda queer... maybe coz of the social interaction they're missing by being at school. dont let that deter u though, like i said, its only 4 ur hsc n u sound as if ur sick of school anyway. go for it.
All home schoolers are weird screwballs just like all people who wear glasses are nerds, right?

Last edited:

berghousemaa

HSC
Ever heard the saying "don't let your education get in the way of your schooling".
School isn't just about finishing the HSC, you'll be a better adjusted person by completing the HSC at school.
And about the people who claim that home schooling is better, even for people throuthout their childhood, i've a little story.

On a basketball trip to America I was forced to stay in a home with a family with two home schooled children. The best way to describe them would be Rod and Todd from the Simpsons. They were completely unaware of how to behave around normal people and are unfortunately destined for a very scary time when they move out, if indeed they ever do.

ANd those two articles did little to dispel any myths surrounding home schooling and nothing about home schooling in Australia

Last edited:

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
berghousemaa said:
Ever heard the saying "don't let your education get in the way of your schooling".
School isn't just about finishing the HSC, you'll be a better adjusted person by completing the HSC at school.
ive already completed half the hsc at school.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
home schooling = your parents teach you. is that what you're talking about?

or are you talking about correspondance, where you get worksheets and tapes?

it's not as easy as it sounds. i think going to school will get you more motivated, if you're home you'll find it hard to get motivated.

i just read more of your situation. i still think it's important to go to school, talking to people can help sometimes, if you're home all the time you're likely to feel more depressed. only you know how you feel in both situations though, and how you work in both situations so ultimately you have to weigh these up (realisitically, not being biased toward how you would like to think things will work) and make your decision.

Last edited:

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
im not motivated at school.
and ill like, get work sent to me and stuff. or ill go to the school and get the work. or get it emailed to me.

im just sick of being classrooms. i moved to a new school which is shit. and i dont want to be there. etc etc.

waterfowl

HSC
I don't like the idea of home schooling, people need to learn social skills, and school is the best place for that.

In your case of finishing your HSC at home, I don't think it is a good idea, teachers are a very valuable resource during that time.

Did anyone see "Wife swap" the other night? One of the families children were home schooled, and the 'new mother' enrolled them into the local school for a week, and they all loved it. "I like it because I can play with kids my age, and I havelots of fun" said the young boy, who you felt really sorry for because his parents are such controlling FREAKS!

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
as ive said before, ive already done half my hsc at school.
and at my new school, the teachers teaching system is fucked anyway.

OS

Banned
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
as ive said before, ive already done half my hsc at school.
and at my new school, the teachers teaching system is fucked anyway.
You go girl, it's better to be at home and happy than at school and hating it - if it's a new school, final HSC year and just a part-time thing, then the social situation will not be so important, anyway. Your younger years would've been more crucial for social development - just get the HSC out the way and then get out where you want to be! Staying at home and concentrating on your final work for the HSC won't hurt. If ppl are going to judge you for being a ''home schooler'' they aren't worth knowing, anyway... And look at all the kids at school that are singled out as ''losers'' - they've had the social contact but but ppl have unfairly made them social outcasts.

berghousemaa

HSC
If you're so sure about the crapiness of your school then finishing at home would probably be the only option.
But first you need to really think about whether this is truly the case or you're just approaching the situation with a negative attitude.
If you do decide to finish at home it would be wise to try and keep the teachers as contacts, you have no idea how stressful studying for the HSC is. Even if the teaching system is crap, they probably will be able to help you one on one when the exams are coming up.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
berghousemaa said:
you have no idea how stressful studying for the HSC is. Even if the teaching system is crap, they probably will be able to help you one on one when the exams are coming up.
i did half the hsc last year.

insomnia

HSC
I'm going to do the unknown and challenge the stigma associated with distance education.

First of all, which of you have actually done DE? And what basis have you got for your bold claims? Sure there are oddballs among the distance educated, and while the ratio is perhaps a little higher than elsewhere,there are oddballs everywhere.

I will admit that system has innate flaws, the most obvious being the lack of contact between teachers and students. We're not all moronic clams. Really. Contrary to popular belief, being a DE student doesn't cancel out a social life. On the contrary, a heap of DE kids have quite fulfilling social lives, and I don't mean pottering around the farm milking cows. They drink and party hard. They're out there doing stuff while you're cooped in your stuffy unairconditioned classrooms stuck in your little inschool social hierachy.

The DE kids develop without peer pressure, meaning they're less likely to adhere to a 'herd mentality' - you know, that one. Being in the same group of people for several years confines the mindset. A lot of the inschool kids are limited in comparison. And there's the added thing that a heap are overseas, or dancers/athletes/actors...their lives are anything but dull. Some are impelled by circumstance into homeschooling; medical reasons or isolation. For them it's easier to learn via DE because it offers a flexibility and convenience normal school does not.

Others choose to complete DE while travelling. I know one guy who's been all around the world. The alternative to DE overseas is international school. Unless you're in an English speaking country I doubt the education is significantly better - and I have spoken to people who have been schooled both ways, they agree with me. In not so flash int schools you often see two or three grades lumped together in a class, with scrappy teachers that charge ludicrously for their meagre qualifications.

It may be dull at times but there is a good side. You can sleep in till noon, never have to brave the weather or annoying yr 7s. You can get up and get a drink or something to eat when you feel like it, do what ever subject takes your fancy of a particular morning, not have to fret about time or clocks or late buses. The teachers believe your excuses and you can get extensions on assessments more easily. And you actually come to like your teachers. No, I never saw that coming either but it did. The teachers are wonderful, they run around faxing you things a couple of days before the HSC when its really your fault that you don't have them.

DE teaches you how to work independently, how to analyse the material beyond the dictates of the textbook. It's a huge challenge and not all are up to it. Too many rely on what the teacher feeds them; they're unable to think for themselves. Try doing an extension subject by distance education. And because there are less kids in each subject you get the individual attention you may not be able to get in a normal school.

And no, they're not all stupid. There are people who accelerate in subjects and win national/international competitions. When you look at the high school/DE merged institutions you will find that more DE candidates get band 6s.

Of course, face to face schooling is better, I'm not going to refute that. But have you considered that some have little choice? And that you know nothing about DE or how it works? And that it's not so bad as it seems? And that the DE kids - not to mention the teachers, who are understaffed and work twice as hard as other teachers, since they have to teach inschool as well - might actually be offended by parts of this thread?

I'll leave you with comments from a former DE student. My situation was a bit different, but the 'inner journey' I've gone through is similar in a lot of aspects.

Distance Education has been both a great challenge and opportunity for me. Three years ago I left my sheltered and happy life in Sydney for what I thought would be a tropical paradise. ***** was not exactly what I had been expecting, and I was hurtled unto a new culture that for a long time was difficult to embrace. At first DE felt like a ball and chain holding me to my desk, and for the longest time I barely left the house. It was easy to live in denial, but slowly I began to realise that life wasn't so bad, and that *****, and DE, was not a prison sentence.
DE...opened many opportunities for me. It allowed me to escape the only other option which was boarding school and those hideous straw hats, and it also allowed me to live with my family in a new environment and culture so different to the Australian one that I'd accepted as the only way. Life in ***** was always interesting...
Having been rather isolated for three years I do not feel however like I have been alone. I have had my family with me and have kept in touch with my old friends, and gained many new ones through DE....
The support of teachers over the three years has been great and I have appreciated every phone call and check up email I have recieved...One thing you obtain doing DE as opposed to traditional school is a more relaxed relationship with school staff, so chatty emails have been lovely.
Having just finished Pathways (HSC over max 5 years, this girl did it over 2 - see you can't do that at a normal school) I'm looking back from the end of an era but also looking forward to the new one...
And my parting advice? Embrace DE for all that it can offer you, and be comforted and proud that you have taken the 'road less travelled by'. I can now say, from experience, that it 'has made all the difference'. What a journey it has been!

waterfowl

HSC
I did French Open High School in year 11, and I found it difficult without a teacher, and with the time lapse for receiving marked work.
For example, if I made a mistake in a pronunciation or grammar, I would go three weeks (or often more) making that same mistake before being corrected, and by then the mistake had become ingrained into how I spoke/read/wrote.

Also, not necessarily a negative - but it is - it was so much easier to do no work, and get good marks. I did well under the desired amount of work, and still got in the 90s.

CrashOveride

HSC
Ok so it seems home schooling is not possible for years 10 and up. All my research seems to indicate this, so if anyone says otherwise, please raise your voice.

I went to the open high school site (http://www.theopenhs-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/) and all they do is languages.

The distance education high school (http://www.ssdec.nsw.edu.au/) seems to only enrol people who have some kind of special need or something.

So am i correct in saying that if you are a sane and healthy person, the only way to do the HSC is basically at school or via TAFE? There is no home option here?

waterfowl

HSC
I think there is. A girl at my school did all her subjects at home, except for English which she came to my school for (a bt of a waste having to buy uniform!).
But she had some sort of medical problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)