• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HomeMade Shooter (1 Viewer)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I've got a project that's due in like a weeks time and it requires you to make your own shooter that can fire a projectile for at least 10 metres.
I was thinking about creating a rubber band shooter but the teacher said you can't do that.
It has to shoot something with weight so it won't miss the target.
Then we have to *bring* it to school to take a target 7m away & 2m above ground.

veridis

droog
HSC
simple crossbows arent hard to make, pea shooter with billows/pressurised air instead of blowing. . catapault would be very easy to make but would definately be a higher angle projectory making it harder to aim.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well to aim consistently at a target you will want something that fires it fast so it hits the target before it drops a considerable amount and/or something that has consistent power and fires the same type of ammunition so you can adjust.

A trebuchet works it takes a few shots to align but a simple one isnt hard to make and it has consistent power, also a fair bit simpler then catapaults but have to be larger.

I'm guessing you don't want to build something that uses a propellant due to legal reasons.

For 10m a catapault/trebuchet might not work on a suitable scale, due to their relatively high angle of fire. Although 2m off the ground it might be an advantage.

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Use compresed air or liquid nitrogen if allowed.

how big is the thing you have to shoot?

as said by wof, a sea-saw catapult is easiest cause you can tune it with different weigths and piviots to be able to shoot very accurately and consistantly, assuming the thing you are shooting is a ball bearing.

Researcher88

HSC
The combustion cannon!

A combustion cannon is easy and simple to make.

Apparatus:
Large plastic bottle, sticky tape, PVC pipe barrel, nail ----> the cannon
Butane gas charger, a lighter. ---> The propellant and igniter
Batteries for the projectile.

By spraying a small amount of butane into the combustion chamber and allowing it to mix with oxygen then finally lighting it with a lighter, BANG! the projectile can be launched meters away! The projectile used should be an AA sized battery.

I cannot tell you the method to make it because I am lazy. But you can use your brain and put the parts together.

This cannon will not explode, unless due to extreme wacky handling.

This cannon will achieve a good range. Good luck!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No, it is propelled out quite fast out of them, or so I've heard *shifty look*.

Anyway I wouldn't take one to school, they are considered illegal firearms.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Not sure if this will work or not, but you know those rockets you make, just a plastic drink bottle with a bit of water...what if you did one and laid it on the side, surely it could go 10m

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Not sure if this will work or not, but you know those rockets you make, just a plastic drink bottle with a bit of water...what if you did one and laid it on the side, surely it could go 10m
not accurate enough :p

and need an air compressor

Researcher88

HSC
TimeAndTide said:
wouldn't it heat up the battery, causing it to leak and explode? The alkaline would escape and just keep burning...
This will not happen because the gas mixed with air only creates a small amount of heat that is not hot enough to cause damage to the battery or the bottle. The combustion happens in a fraction of a second therefore building up pressure and propelling the projectile.
Its all in the pressure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)