• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Honours at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
Hapilly retired? Obviously your passion for the law is far less than mine and Kirb-daddies.

In 50 years I'll be the new Kirby - you'll be jealous.
you fail to see the fact that i will be the one breeding passion into people like you.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Frigid, Melsc et Gavrillo ont passion de la loi!!!
is law really spelt 'loi' is french? so my term, 'loiya', is not etymologically baseless?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
is law really spelt 'loi' is french? so my term, 'loiya', is not etymologically baseless?
:uhhuh: Yep!!! :uhhuh: It is pronouned "lwa" like moi
but lawyer, barrister etc... is all the same word avocat for a boy and for a girl avocate *it is the same word for avocardo weird huh*
court is "tribunal"

In Italian it is legge *law*
and avvocato/essa *it has the double meaning like the french also*

My poor examiners, in the speaking exam when they ask what u wanna do after the HSC I give them a huge speech about "following my passion for the law, and how difficult it is"

I had to look up that big word coz I didnt know wat it meant :(:

The origin and historical development of a linguistic form as shown by determining its basic elements, earliest known use, and changes in form and meaning, tracing its transmission from one language to another, identifying its cognates in other languages, and reconstructing its ancestral form where possible.

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Ooooh, inspirational. Can I be one of your fellows?

But in saying that I'll be > Kirby, some of you might be mislead into thinking that I uber respect him.

I'm more from the Robinson school. I'm more concerned with global issues, rather than domestic ones.

Actually, I don't think Kirby is that groundbreaking. For the most part, he borrows a lot from Gough.

God I love Gough.

Whitlam = teh S3X!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Re: LLB (Hons) at UNSW

ONE YEAR LATER (when i should be studying for exams)

UNSW Faculty of Law plans to introduce LLB Honours based on WAM:
30 October 2006

Dear Fellow Students,

The School of Law has resolved to implement a WAM-based Honours model. A working party will determine the precise details and report to the next School meeting early next year. The School's resolution will now move to the Faculty and Academic Boards, which will determine whether current students will be eligible to graduate with Honours. We will continue to advocate for the eligibility of current students, as will the newly appointed Dean, David Dixon.

We note that two students expressed concern regarding issues such as transparency and accountability. These issues have already been raised with the Presiding Member, and will be discussed at the Student Representative Forum on Monday...

Sincerely,
Eugene Quah and Talia Epstein
on Behalf of Your Student Representatives

HSC

argh don't get me started on a WAM based honours model. there is no practical difference between this and the current model, except we get to boast about having honours at the end of our name, as opposed to "with distinction". grrrrrrrrrrr *mumbles incoherently* who let the commerce students vote? :p

lala2

Banned
HSC

Good for them. I think Lazarus had complained before about the lack of honours in the UNSW LLB (well, up to now)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

charlie_charlie said:
argh don't get me started on a WAM based honours model. there is no practical difference between this and the current model, except we get to boast about having honours at the end of our name, as opposed to "with distinction".
they could make 1st class requirement 80+ WAM in law. that way it's harder than "with distinction".

HSC

potato, patata. the form is exactly the same, and any distinction comes from the standard which is imposed by the university. which grades do anyway! its just a case of placing form over substance.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

charlie_charlie said:
potato, patata. the form is exactly the same, and any distinction comes from the standard which is imposed by the university. which grades do anyway! its just a case of placing form over substance.
you're absolutely right dear, but - to me anyway - anything that adds 'value' to my law degree (be it style or substance) is a good thing.*

at first blush, employers will look higher upon a LLB (Hons) than a LLB.

edit: * - spoken like a true commerce-law student :$

Last edited:
HSC

Frigid said:
you're absolutely right dear, but - to me anyway - anything that adds 'value' to my law degree (be it style or substance) is a good thing.*

at first blush, employers will look higher upon a LLB (Hons) than a LLB.

edit: * - spoken like a true commerce-law student :$
I adopt your point, but the honours should be awarded for an actual value-added honours degree. ie through a thesis or a research paper. This is just a case of dressing up the degree, when we had the chance to actually distinguish the degree and probably increase its long term value and prestige in the market.

ps. admit it, you're a true com-law android.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

I would take issue with that -- changing to Honours is an important move. The awarding of Honours is a recognition of high achievement. Graduating "with distinction" is a rather illogical difference that our law school chose to adopt which has caused nothing but confusion for employers and trouble for graduates. Employers have little clue what it means (most don't even know that we don't have an Honours program) and a host of overseas institutions bar our students from postgraduate study because of Honours entry requirements.

As for the thesis model, a variety of faculties and universities already use WAM-based Honours for certain degrees. There is nothing to say that one is ultimately superior to the other. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. A limited number of law students will spend another year on top of their 5-year degree doing research. Yet everyone can benefit from a WAM-based system. Also, while we should not bend over backwards to follow USyd, it is notable that USyd has a WAM-based Honours model. If we were to adopt a thesis-based model, it would again disadvantage us against our strongest competitor.

There was apparently a petition against WAM-based Honours going around uni in the final week or two. I daresay the only people signing it are those with lacking law grades!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
stupid stupid academic board full of non-law elitist ppl who make us do more work argh ><
I'll be brief because I'm really snowed under. I have been informed that the Academic Board has disapproved of the WAM-based Honours system, and that Honours will require a research component of some sort. As far as I am aware, students who graduate next year should be eligible, but I can't guarantee that. Some transitional arrangements may be necessary for students who are currently enrolled.

The working party will be meeting next week to discuss research models, and a special School meeting will probably be called for the 29th of November. At the moment we're looking at the research-project model.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I like UOWs method - I'm not sure how common it is. It's WAM based (in terms of eligibility and class divisions), but in order to get it you need to do a research project. The project doesn't have to be incredibly groundbreaking (i.e. PhD thesis level), and only takes 1 session to do - and, as it forms one of your electives, it doesn't extend your degree either.

For all I know this could be the 'standard' model at every other law school, but it seems like a logical one to me. UNSW should use it.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Some one inform me please. Is the WAM, that will be used to determine the award of honours, just based on law subjects or both law and non law subjects?

I personally feel that a purely WAM based model is too easy. Traditionally honours recognizes people who have done some kind of extra research, like in arts.

We should follow the usyd and gong. Not that I actually have a say. The impression I get is that certain high achievers in lawsoc want to get their law degrees stamped with a little extra sugar. In order avoid any allegations of out and out self interest the WAM based honours model should be applied to first years next year and not the current crop of law students. I wonder how keen some would be if that happened? I imagine some with be rather apathetic to the idea of honours.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
Some one inform me please. Is the WAM, that will be used to determine the award of honours, just based on law subjects or both law and non law subjects?

In order avoid any allegations of out and out self interest the WAM based honours model should be applied to first years next year and not the current crop of law students. I wonder how keen some would be if that happened? I imagine some with be rather apathetic to the idea of honours.
the usual WAM-based system is law subjects only.

and, as to the second possibility, if that happened, there is no need to consult the current bunch of students.

i think it has always been possible to 'make' oneself an Honours student by getting a high WAM and doing the research elective. that, or getting the goddamn uni medal for law. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)