• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Honours (1 Viewer)

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
Does anyone know what kind of marks we'd need to get into an honours course for 3rd year and onwards? Is it the same across the whole uni or different for each course...i'm doing civil engineering if that matters

anyone?

L

LaraB

depends on the course...

eg law school's honours rules are far more strict than elsewhere, otherwise, the general rule is you need a credit GPA or higher and then need to be within a top certain% of your cohort... i know some school's it's the top 15% but dunno if that's a general rule or not..

whereas law there's different levels... and you need a minimum 6GPA in certain units etc to qualify for Honours I..

I know some of the science-y ones are a bit different too...

it's best to contact your school/college... especially since some courses don't have honours years/status as an option

Jonathan A

HSC
Law Honours is different though. It is Honours by merit rather than thesis. So there are three:

Class 1: 6 GPA
Class 2.1: 5.8 GPA
Class 2.2: 5.5 GPA

(Note these GPA refer to cores and to the GPA overall in law)

Jacks

HSC
As others have said it depends on the course and on how many people apply. You are best to enquire directly to the person who handles honours for your particular course. Generally speaking the minimum in a GPA of 5. I recently got a mail inviting me to apply for honours for next year...so if you qualify at time you should be notified as a potential applicant. Do some research and see who handles the honours you'd like to apply for and direct any questions to them. There are honours info sessions happening soon for next year, so you should be notified of them to, should you be in a position to apply the following year. Just do the best you can, and see how things go.

Jacks

HSC
Just to add, I think the School Honours Coordinator you would have to direct your enquiries to is:

Dr Surendra Shrestha: Details:

Phone No.: 02 9852 5733

Fax No.: 02 9852 5741

Email address: s.shrestha@uws.edu.au

I'm not 100% sure, but you can always write an email and find out if you are interested. ;)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
what about masters and stuff? is honours a MUST before that or do we just apply to that like from uac? cos my gpa isnt sufficient for honours right now :( hopefully i fix it up and they consider my whole uni performance, not just the first two years (like somebody told me :S) ..

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You don't need honours to do a masters. You can start masters at the lowest level and work your way up (thats what one of my lecturers did). You just need an undergrad degree.

Each uni has different requirements though. I'm planning on going to either Macquarie or New England sometime, macquarie needs a certain GPA to be accepted, and sometimes work experience in the related field. While UNE requires an undergrad degree in the particular area. All the information is on the UAC website anyway.

L

LaraB

klh said:
so who else is considering masters, postgraduate education?
definitely but not in the sense that you guys mean... GDLP for law so its post grad but most people don't seem to refer to it as "postgrad".. dunno why.. people have this thing that postgrad = masters + honors...

was considering doing an honours year in hrm/ir stuff as a few lecturers have suggested that i should but since i hate business stuff and have no intention of doingi t for work.. it's a definite nope:p

klh

HSC
well shouldnt it..doesnt it stand for graduate diploma? maybe becasue its compulsory for you to do it, so...
Postgrad encompasses grad. certificates, diplomas, masters [coursework and research], Phd. I think thats it, oh and honours.

L

LaraB

yeh it is postgrad..

i meant more just what the average person considers "post grad" work.. most people don't consider stuff like GDLP in that category since it's not like.. 'extra' as such, you 'need' it to be a practising lawyer i guess :)

L

LaraB

since people were asking - those of you doing business or eco degrees - webct has a section now for you to go to to check out the honours admission criteria and the like..

i find it a little dodgy that you only need 4.75 as the minimum to be eligible:s prior to other criteria.. seems a little low...

but yeah - there's application info and stuff if you want to apply for 2007 :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Question, well a few anyway. They are sort of related to this subject, so I'll just post them here.

1) Is there a post grad UAC book that you can buy? I don't want to sit online all the time.
2) If I wanted to do a masters next year, do I apply this year? The UAC website is more confusing than what it was in year 12 :p
3) Can someone explain the different types of masters. The course I'm looking at has:
- masters
- Graduate diploma
- Graduate certificate.
Whats the difference?

I think its about time to see my course co-ordinator. Maybe they'll know.

But I dunno if I want to do a masters next year :(

klh

HSC
I think alot of students, those who are in B Bus, B Bus & Com and B Econ...

L

LaraB

klh said:
I think alot of students, those who are in B Bus, B Bus & Com and B Econ...
my understanding was it's only those who got a GPA of 4.75 or hgher..

coz a lot of people i know didn't get one..

seems like its anyone doing bus. stuff with 4.75 or higher, regardless of what year you are in your course and what course you're doing... eg i'm a 2nd year law/bus person and i don't konw if it's true, but i'm told law/bus people don't qualify cause we haven't done any electives etc ... plus i'm 2nd year, so my honours would be for 2008..

klh

HSC
oh, i see what you mean...Its just that I saw the big letters with like those 3 degrees mentioned so yeah...I didnt really think on it that much anyway. But obviously its for the people in final year, final semester to quickly apply and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)