• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How are State Ranks calculated? (1 Viewer)

tambam

HSC
Some kid in my physics class thinks that State Ranks are calculated from your HSC exam result ie external mark.
Isnt it calculated from your overall HSC mark? As in internal and external?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's calculated using your overall HSC mark, but obviously Externals have a major impact on it, if you're ranked first and you pull off one of the highest marks in the state then yes, externals play the role because you're ranked first.

If you're ranked 2nd/3rd/etc... it'll be what you get as your assessment mark + your external mark, and if both average out to put you in the top somewhere, then you get the state rank.

etc.

michaeljennings

HSC
yeahhh iRuler is right. Its calculated using your overall HSC mark. Dont listen to people who try to trick you

tambam

HSC
Does anyone have a link to a reliable source which actually says this/explains it, so i can prove i'm right :)

tambam

HSC
'Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place.'

Wait so does that mean it is ranked on externals, but several people would get the same mark in externals, so the discriminating factor is then internal assessments?

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
No, your 'HSC mark' is the average of your internal and external marks. e.g. 94, 95 etc.

When they're the same, they look at the decimal (94.8 vs. 94.9, etc. - they calculate it but that doesn't show on your results page thing you get)... which is why people who are ranked 1 or 2 or 3 in a subject can all have their HSC mark as 100, but different ranks.

Technically they should just say they take it to the decimal, since it's pretty rare people actually get a rounded mark that nobody else gets.

@mysterious, they must have just done really well in their externals... in fact the whole cohort must've done really well for his internals to be scaled up that much, or it was like a 20 person state cohort or something, or they just had similar internals (e.g. 85, 83, 82) in which case it wouldn't be very hard to outperform a higher ranked kid in the externals.

jamesfirst

HSC
I find it more fair if it is determined by the external mark.

Some school markers mark easy as fkkkk while others mark strict as fkkkk like my SOR teacher.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad

Some school markers mark easy as fkkkk while others mark strict as fkkkk like my SOR teacher.
Your internal raw mark has absolutely no effect on your HSC mark. It's only your internal ranking that matters.
For example, say School A has 3 students doing 4U Maths and gives them all 100% in their internals. School B has 116 doing 4U and the top 5 get 90-95% raw internally. If School A's students end up getting 80-85 (scaled) in the external, their internal marks will also be in the 80-85 range. If School B's top 5 get between 98-99 in the external, their top 5 will also get 98-99 in the internal.

tambam

HSC

All school marks are moderated by how well your school goes in the hsc to make it 'fair'.
So if people are getting an average of 70ish at your school, but then in the hsc they get average marks in the 80s, then all your school marks would get scaled up to be in the 80s.
So it doesn't really make a difference whether your teachers mark easy or hard.

tambam

HSC
that case is sure weird. XD
It's not that weird...Half of your hsc mark is made up of externals, so that means the guy who came first in the state performed best in the externals.

& The top 4 internal people all must have been within a few marks of each other in the external exam, so the guy who came first externally still got a really high scaled internal mark because of the others doing well.

michaeljennings

HSC

I assume youre trying to say that some teachers at your school mark harsher than others but then who's to say that someone marking my externals will be just as harsh as the person marking yours.

goobi

HSC
I am curious as well.
This guy came 4th internally with a mark in the 80s.
Whereas another guy came 1st internally throughout the year with an overall mark in the 90s.

But the guy who came 4th internally came 1st in NSW in the subject.
Whereas the guy who came 1st internally throughout the year came 4th in NSW in the subject.
And the guys who came 2nd and 3rd, in the end they came 5th and 8th respectively in the state.

How does this work? This is weird.
Just wondering if the subject you mentioned was ESL...

Your internal raw mark has absolutely no effect on your HSC mark. It's only your internal ranking that matters.
For example, say School A has 3 students doing 4U Maths and gives them all 100% in their internals. School B has 116 doing 4U and the top 5 get 90-95% raw internally. If School A's students end up getting 80-85 (scaled) in the external, their internal marks will also be in the 80-85 range. If School B's top 5 get between 98-99 in the external, their top 5 will also get 98-99 in the internal.
All school marks are moderated by how well your school goes in the hsc to make it 'fair'.
So if people are getting an average of 70ish at your school, but then in the hsc they get average marks in the 80s, then all your school marks would get scaled up to be in the 80s.
So it doesn't really make a difference whether your teachers mark easy or hard.
aligned*
Scaling is only done by the UAC in the calculation of ATAR while aligning is something that does with your HSC marks.

goobi

HSC
ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Don't tell me you went to the boardofstudies website and checked the top achievers list ONE BY ONE.
OH MY GOODNESS!
That subject is a 1000 people state cohort. The guy who came 4th had his internal marks in the 80s, whereas the guy who came 1st had his internal marks in the 90s. This is the weirdest case I have ever seen.
Of course NO. I know it because a friend of mine actually state ranked in ESL last year and therefore I just looked it up last night :)

By the way, there are about 3000 people doing ESL each year instead of 1000.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to cause controversy: Some teachers are biased and markyou down as much ad they can because they don't like you and mark others up to the same extent because they like them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)