• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do you do well in english standard? (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
I am fearful this year of english standard.. because of all the rumours of bad scaling if you dont do well.

any advice to be able to do well in english standard?

PS: ive already annotated every text and picked out the best quotes

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Learn how to write essays.
Be generally good at English (good enough to get 88 in advanced will get you 86 or less in standard. (me :cry:))

asdfqwerty

HSC
Read the rubrics, prepare to answer any possible questions given to you on the day.
Learnt to change your essays into different forms e.g. speech, feature article etc. because they do not always ask you to write an extended response.
Do well in Paper 1, keep practising until you get near full marks because Paper 1 (AOS: Belonging) is where you are competing with the whole state, so this is where you should be trying to get lots of mark. After that, you're only competing with the other Standard people.
Extend your reading, e.g. read critical responses of your texts and what other people think of it.

Also, it's not that english standard has bad scaling, it's just that it aligns differently and so it's harder to get a band 6 because the alignment might not shift you to the band 6 region unless your raw mark is already on the edge of a near band 6 or is already band 6 quality.

hope this helps :)

smartalec

HSC
I am fearful this year of english standard.. because of all the rumours of bad scaling if you dont do well.

any advice to be able to do well in english standard?

PS: ive already annotated every text and picked out the best quotes
you fucking study thats what.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty much do well in paper 1.
I probs would've gotten a band 6 in English for my external if The Crucible suited belonging to place and I didn't completely fuck up my creative.
Bleh.
Whatevs.

epicFAILx

HSC
I have just completed a practise essay..and I'd like ones opinion.. so... how do I upload it

xD

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know 3 people that got Band 6 in Standard, two of which got a state rank. Knowing them and their teacher, they would have constantly written essays and constantly marked them as well. The teacher did not endorse prepared responses but knowing the texts well enough to do it on the spot.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
learn to be better than the bogans that surround you and i'm sure you'll do well

D94

HSC
N/A
I think the point should be made that if you want a Band 6 (which is statistically hard), you would need to be as good as those at the top of Advanced, which begs the question as to why not do Advanced in the first place.

Anyway, to do well, you just need to know your text, techniques, quotes, context, rubrics and so on. Not much different to Advanced, so just practice essays and narratives (and potentially other formats of responses), and read past exemplar essays etc.

JayCakie

HSC
- Quotes with techniques and explanation. Then explain why the author does this + relate to question Yeah, I know how it sounds stupid and everyone knows this but this is the most integral component of the essay. Seriously I missed out on a Band 6 for Standard English BY TWO BLOODY MARKS. #Feels bad man. And I even failed my first Year 12 English Exam. Weird huh?

- This is brings me my second point; never give up! Ever. Just keep practising writing regardless of how tedious it is. Allocate time e.g. 8pm Sunday night try writing a generic essay. Also by doing this, it will help you become more fluid and more eloquent with writing long-ranged answers in other subjects.

Also another note. I noticed that they actually have a style of essay writing. (Not sure on how you're going to implement this)
E.g.:

Opening sentence. Reference from the book/text etc e.g. quote. Note technique. Explain the reason of technique - e.g. the harsh "n" consonants is used explicitly by the author to allow the audience to envisage the hard tone of the character. In doing so, the author introduces the audience to the desolate nature of the bush as a reflection of the hard tone of the character, etc etc etc etc Some fancy words. Ending sentence and MAJOR link to the question. "Hence the author highlights the authentic of blah by showing that blah is a result of belong to a place etc etc.

I really hope this helps you out. It certainly helped me out :) + Use the English Excel book. The fat green one.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Let me give you some tips on how I did well for Standard. I think 89 is fairly good for Standard, this would roughly be low 90's I guess in Advanced.

First, see where you're at. I suggest getting some state ranking essays or top standard people (on bos or board of studies exemplary) and compare the quality of your essays to theirs. This will give you an indication on who you're competing against in the state and also what level of writing you need to reach.

Second. You need to keep writing and practice under exam conditions, show your teachers and markers consistently your essays until they say yes. Also write lots and lots of essay, practise HSC questions and past papers.

Third. Read some books or texts everyday, read your essays everyday. I gurantee you would become a better writer everyday :).

Although I didn't get band 6, I got 89 for Standard English (Externally first) when I was 50/70 in prelims. You want to do well in Standard, you have to put more workload in then Advanced Kids to do well that's the reality. Also you have an advantage for rank wise, as alot of people who don't generally care or less bright do Standard. So have alot of motivation and puts tonnes of effort.

Good luck.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Careful on paper 1 as Riproot mentioned. I got doomed for paper 1. Got around 30/45 I think. Paper 2 I got 58/60 :).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
are you doin biomed now? no way!

I'm a member on fb but that's about it. I barely go to their gatherings or w/e you wana call it
Yes, but I just got another offer this morning so I might not be anymore. lol

You should come to one if I go! Add me on fb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)