• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does HSC ACTUALLY work...? (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Okay a few questions,
1. PLease list every individual thing that goes towards your ATAR
2. How many assessments are there in year 12, and which one is the one that says "Assessment mark"?
3. Does ANYTHING AT ALL, including ranks, carry on from yr 11?
4. Is the average of Assessment Mark and Exam mark your final HSC mark?

Also, Re: Maths
1. How does scaling work in MX1 and MX2? For example, if some people get 99 on assessment and 99 on exam mark, which is /100, how does that equate with the MX1 marks which are out of 84 I think, and 120 for MX2? ie those who get 99 on ass. or exam mark, what did that equate to in the actual exam? I know scaling plays a role, but im wondering about the raw results. And also can someone explain how the new /70 MX1 and /100 MX2 format is going to work? If there are less marks to work for, does that mean it will be easier, in a sense? Or are they making less marks but harder questions? What are all your opinions about this please?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
1. 10 units (incl 2 units of English), 50% school assessment and 50% external exam mark contribute to your HSC mark for each subject
2. Depends on the school
3. No
4. Yes

1. A raw mark of ~80/84 in MX1 would've aligned to around 99 as an exam mark. This is not scaling, this is called aligning. Scaling is conducted by UAC and is used in calculation of the ATAR, it has no bearing on your final HSC mark. A 99 in MX2 would've probably required a raw of 110+/120. I have not a clue as to what the raw marks would be for the new format (since it's new) but percentage wise, I'm guessing it would be in that ballpark, either way, you're still going to have to do very well in the exam.

hayabusaboston

HSC
1. 10 units (incl 2 units of English), 50% school assessment and 50% external exam mark contribute to your HSC mark for each subject
2. Depends on the school
3. No
4. Yes

1. A raw mark of ~80/84 in MX1 would've aligned to around 99 as an exam mark. This is not scaling, this is called aligning. Scaling is conducted by UAC and is used in calculation of the ATAR, it has no bearing on your final HSC mark. A 99 in MX2 would've probably required a raw of 110+/120. I have not a clue as to what the raw marks would be for the new format (since it's new) but percentage wise, I'm guessing it would be in that ballpark, either way, you're still going to have to do very well in the exam.

So obviously 100 as exam or ass. mark is 120/120 and/or 84/84 right..? Oh so every assessment in year 12 counts? Wow, I thought only the last one before HSC. How many assessments did you have sly? for each subject roughly? You're from HAHS, will be same for me.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
1- Your HSC marks.
2- Depends on your school, but I'm pretty sure there's a maximum of 5 internal assessments per subject.
3- Nope.
4- Yep.

If I recall correctly in MX2 90-100/120 got you a ~95 and 110+ got 99. For MX1 it was something like 60/84 got you 95 and 80 got a 99, but this is irrelevant now that the exam format's completely changed. Nobody knows anything about the new exam format yet, apart from the fact that there will be multiple choice (which in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous).

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Not necessarily.

Yes, every assessment will count, you'll be notified as to how much each assessment contributes to your final HSC mark (percentage wise). This should all be explained to you at the start of the school term.

You'll get an assessment schedule from HAHS, basically a calendar of every assessment for every subject during the year and also an assessment guide for each subject indicating what assessments will be coming up for each subject (a more detailed version in essence). These should be issued to you at the start of the year along with rules etc.
I had roughly 4-5 assessments for each of my subs but it'll be different for every subject. Breaking it down, it's about one assessment per subject per term.

hayabusaboston

HSC
1- Your HSC marks.
2- Depends on your school, but I'm pretty sure there's a maximum of 5 internal assessments per subject.
3- Nope.
4- Yep.

If I recall correctly in MX2 90-100/120 got you a ~95 and 110+ got 99. For MX1 it was something like 60/84 got you 95 and 80 got a 99, but this is irrelevant now that the exam format's completely changed. Nobody knows anything about the new exam format yet, apart from the fact that there will be multiple choice (which in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous).
Lol really? haha that makes it easier for a few extra marks though.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Not necessarily.

Yes, every assessment will count, you'll be notified as to how much each assessment contributes to your final HSC mark (percentage wise). This should all be explained to you at the start of the school term.

You'll get an assessment schedule from HAHS, basically a calendar of every assessment for every subject during the year and also an assessment guide for each subject indicating what assessments will be coming up for each subject (a more detailed version in essence). These should be issued to you at the start of the year along with rules etc.
I had roughly 4-5 assessments for each of my subs but it'll be different for every subject. Breaking it down, it's about one assessment per subject per term.
Are these "Assessments" for each subject topic tests? Or everything up to that point? I heard that its all topic tests until HSC, where its EVERYTHING IN SYLLABUS

Also when do you guys recommend starting past papers?

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Lol really? haha that makes it easier for a few extra marks though.
Depends on how straightforward the questions are. If it's something like "what's (3+2i)(1-i)" it'll be fairly easy, but if it's something that requires working out (for example previous question 1's) there's a chance you'll make a minor mistake in your working and get 0, rather than losing a mark for one mistake but getting the rest for correct working out.

Also, 100 doesn't necessarily mean you scored 100% on the exam - 83/84, 119/120, 118/120 might get you 100, just depending on the year.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Are these "Assessments" for each subject topic tests? Or everything up to that point? I heard that its all topic tests until HSC, where its EVERYTHING IN SYLLABUS

Also when do you guys recommend starting past papers?
Not necessarily topic tests, could be a research task or project or whatever, but you'll be notified which parts of the syllabus will be assessed.

Depends on the past paper, what it covers and what you know.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Adding to what slyhunter said. Assesment mark is the sum of all internal marks from school according to their respective weight (which you will be told before the assesment) which is then moderated according to your cohorts marks in the external exam.

In year 12 for maths you can be tested on preliminary content.

delian

HSC
N/A
2. How many assessments are there in year 12, and which one is the one that says "Assessment mark"?

1. ATAR is determined by scaled HSC marks from best 10 units, and is a RANK determined from aggregate mark out of 500.
2.usually 4 assessments, including trial.
3. No ranks should carry on from yr11 (i wish it did for my eco)
4.yes, usually (unless illness/misadventure appeal is upheld)

Pfortune35

HSC
as for the raw marks query,

above it was stated that in MX2 90-100/120 translates to 95 exam so lets assume 96/120 raw becomes 95 exam

so 96/120 = 0.8 = 80/100

therefore we can assume a raw mark of 80/100 in the new format will be about 95 aligned. (trusting given data was correct and there is no major change in the difficulty of the exam or the ability of the cohort)

As for the MC thing, Ive had 2 exams (one maths and one ext 1) that had MC questions, you'd be suprized how easy they are to get wrong

D94

HSC
N/A
Okay a few questions,
1) ATAR is a rank, and is found by combining your moderated assessment mark and raw HSC exam mark, scaling them and aggregating them.
2) Depends on your subjects. Ask your school for a list of assessments which count towards your HSC.
3) No.
4) No (but depending on your definition). It's the average of your "moderated" assessment mark and HSC aligned exam mark. So don't be too worried if your school's range for raw assessment marks is from 60 to 80. It doesn't mean you'll only get 80. Your HSC exam performance is very important in that a high performing cohort (eg. 80 to 95) will receive higher assessment marks and a lower performing cohort (eg. 50 to 70) in the HSC will receive lower assessment marks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)