• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How FAST can you go? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
I am interested in knowing how fast people can read a whole book to see where I am in par with other people, and I'm not talking in terms of words per minute, but how long it takes you on average to finish an average 300-600 page novel.

Also, what's the fastest time you have ever finished a book? (Not including children's books :rolleyes:, or Harry Potter for that matter lol. I'm talking advanced literature.)

For me it takes between 3 - 7 days to finish an average 450 page-ish book, usually in two to three 25 minute sittings everyday depending on whether I get into the book. The fastest I've finished a book is about 2 hours (I think it was George Orwell's Animal Farm which I got really into, and it is only about 150 pages :uhoh:).

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
I'll usually finish an average 450-esque book in a sitting, say 3-4 hours.
But then, I mostly read fantasy which usually spans past 600 pages...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
I am interested in knowing how fast people can read a whole book to see where I am in par with other people, and I'm not talking in terms of words per minute, but how long it takes you on average to finish an average 300-600 page novel.

Also, what's the fastest time you have ever finished a book? (Not including children's books :rolleyes:, or Harry Potter for that matter lol. I'm talking advanced literature.)

For me it takes between 3 - 7 days to finish an average 450 page-ish book, usually in two to three 25 minute sittings everyday depending on whether I get into the book. The fastest I've finished a book is about 2 hours (I think it was George Orwell's Animal Farm which I got really into, and it is only about 150 pages :uhoh:).
I don't read books. Only "Advanced reading materials" for me would be SMH or DT ("Standard reading materials", that is)

I would finish one newspaper within 1-2 hours given that I read every single article (not the ads or other promotion-purpose articles).

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
If I really get into a book, I will finish it in one sitting. Either I am really into it or I am in the car between Melbourne and Sydney with nothing else to do. =(

But Jeffrey Archer is a pretty good writer. I enjoyed reading such books as "Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less" and "First Among Equals". Infact, I think I only read Jeffrey Archer books in one sitting because those were the only books I had read in the car.

Other than that, I used to read the Wheel of Time books before I went to sleep, which usually meant that instead of reading a bit of it then going to sleep, I would read for several hours slowly to immerse myself in the atmosphere or the book then goto sleep. Those were really good reads. Waiting on the 12th book now. Shame that the author died. Maybe he shouldn't have spent time on a prequel that I can't even read because it's so dull. >=(

Currently I have the first book from "A Song of Ice and Fire" series which I haven't begun to read yet. Stupid games are taking up all of my time! I even have Sopranos DVDs that my friend let me borrow and haven't even started watching them. Rofl. Too much STALKER, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed and now back to Oblivion with like 8-9gb worth of mods. :eek:

HSC
I read fast but anyone finishing a 500 page book within a day is either reading Harry Potter on release day or reading too fast.

Snaykew said:
But Jeffrey Archer is a pretty good writer. I enjoyed reading such books as "Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less" and "First Among Equals". Infact, I think I only read Jeffrey Archer books in one sitting because those were the only books I had read in the car.
I haven't tried his novels but I like his short stories.

Muz4PM

HSC
bawd said:
The fastest I've finished a book is about 2 hours (I think it was George Orwell's Animal Farm which I got really into, and it is only about 150 pages :uhoh:).
Yeah, I just finished reading Animal Farm. I expected it would be fairly long, but it was only like 100 pages. That took me just a few hours to read, mainly because it was so small and I got into it.

However, as others have pointed out, reading a book depends upon how long it is, how into it you are, how much time you have available etc etc, so an accurate result would be difficult to acertain.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Snaykew said:
If I really get into a book, I will finish it in one sitting. Either I am really into it or I am in the car between Melbourne and Sydney with nothing else to do. =(

Other than that, I used to read the Wheel of Time books before I went to sleep, which usually meant that instead of reading a bit of it then going to sleep, I would read for several hours slowly to immerse myself in the atmosphere or the book then goto sleep. Those were really good reads. Waiting on the 12th book now. Shame that the author died. Maybe he shouldn't have spent time on a prequel that I can't even read because it's so dull. >=(

Currently I have the first book from "A Song of Ice and Fire" series which I haven't begun to read yet. Stupid games are taking up all of my time! I even have Sopranos DVDs that my friend let me borrow and haven't even started watching them. Rofl. Too much STALKER, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed and now back to Oblivion with like 8-9gb worth of mods. :eek:
ASOIAF is brilliant. If you think WOT is good, you ain't seen nothing yet.
And I actually have high hopes for the 12th book; its written by an author I rate a lot more highly than Jordan...whose 6-10 books were complete and utter drivel.

bawd

HSC
Muz4PM said:
Yeah, I just finished reading Animal Farm. I expected it would be fairly long, but it was only like 100 pages. That took me just a few hours to read, mainly because it was so small and I got into it.

However, as others have pointed out, reading a book depends upon how long it is, how into it you are, how much time you have available etc etc, so an accurate result would be difficult to acertain.
I never intended for an accurate result, just an estimation from BoS members to give me an idea of where I am in terms of everyone else. :)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I finished the twilight series in a weekend... mostly at night. However it took me like a week to read some crappy english novel

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i adapt my reading patterns to the book

the lovely bones [a good, simple break from thomas hardy which i devoured] took <4 hours; the book thief took a few days because i wanted to give some sort of discourse time to zuzsak's sparse expression; stuff like the fountainhead and anything by elie wiesel could only be read in complete silence [i.e. at night] and in intervals to completely understand [or inure myself from] what the hell was going on.

hmm. i get too emotionally involved in what i read. :shy:

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
And I actually have high hopes for the 12th book; its written by an author I rate a lot more highly than Jordan...whose 6-10 books were complete and utter drivel.
I guess I should get to reading it then. I was told it was based moreso on the politics of some kingdoms or something rather than war which intrigues me. Also, I love Wheel of Time. :D So awesome. I would read books 1-11 again if I wasn't actually lazy. Reading them in the first place was a big effort for me as I don't really read any novels. I will only read novels nowadays if it's in a series, because if you're gonna put the effort into reading, might as well be rewarded by a good series of immersive books that portray a totally different world. :D

...or if the book is cheap and I think it might be a decent read.

mortein2008

HSC
for me, if im really into a book (around 700 page) ill do it in 3-4 days of 6-8 hours sessions (yes, i really get obsessed if i like the book). i think thats pretty slow isnt it?

mortein2008

HSC
u-borat said:
SO TRUE! ASOIF is one of my favourite series. WOT is almost like a kid's fairy tale in comparison.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Usually it'd take me 2-3 days with 2-3h sittings each day.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
it all depends on how much i like the book, and i tend to reread bits along the way. some ppl at my school think theyre so good if they can read a novel (take pride and prejudice for example) in one night. then i say that i really liked a certain part, and they cant remember half the book. therefore i think it is better to read slower cause you can take in more.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
lyounamu said:
I don't read books. Only "Advanced reading materials" for me would be SMH or DT ("Standard reading materials", that is)

I would finish one newspaper within 1-2 hours given that I read every single article (not the ads or other promotion-purpose articles).
Don't tell me that you would read every single article of the Daily Telegraph! :confused:

If you do, then please stop. at once. I held you in higher esteem than that, lyounamu :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
Mark576 said:
Don't tell me that you would read every single article of the Daily Telegraph! :confused:

If you do, then please stop. at once. I held you in higher esteem than that, lyounamu :rolleyes:
SMH > DT :)

Lately, I've been reading books faster than my usual one week pace. I've finished 2 books consecutively this week and I'm halfway through my third one.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mark576 said:

lol

I rarely do anyway. I read SMH on weekends and I read DT on weekdays. During weekdays, I rarely have time so...I only end up reading the 4-5 articles. On weekends, I have tonnes of time so I try to read every single artlce in SMH even though I only read 1/2 half all the articles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)