• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how many hours think i can work during uni B.comm at UNSw (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
How many hours do you think I will manage to work during university at UNSw B.comm I'm planning to save up for a car then around (30 thousand ish) so I want to work as much as possible.

ALSO

Does anyone know the minimum pay I can get as an Australian citizen working at Mcdonalds or KFC etC?

BobMac

HSC
I think it depends on how many hours you can study, cause you could be studying part time or full time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's university, you can work as much as you want - heck, work 40 hour weeks. Just don't expect to get good marks.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Shadowdude/kaz1 can correct me on this, but I believe Comm contact hours are 12, which you can fit into two days, if you're lucky. So yeah, you can work heaps if you like. But your marks might drop accordingly.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Shadowdude/kaz1 can correct me on this, but I believe Comm contact hours are 12, which you can fit into two days, if you're lucky. So yeah, you can work heaps if you like. But your marks might drop accordingly.
They are 12 hours, but with UNSW I'm pretty sure it's harder to fit it into 2 days (most of my friends at UNSW are going 3-4 days with commerce).

But if you can fit it into 2 days, nothing beats it (speaking from experience).

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
They are 12 hours, but with UNSW I'm pretty sure it's harder to fit it into 2 days (most of my friends at UNSW are going 3-4 days with commerce).

But if you can fit it into 2 days, nothing beats it (speaking from experience).

Why cant you fit into two days for B.comm for UNSW??????????? then what uni can fit into 2 days a week of uni??

izzy88

HSC
Why cant you fit into two days for B.comm for UNSW??????????? then what uni can fit into 2 days a week of uni??
well it depends on the subjects, the lecturers etc the majority of people at uni do not get uni into two days. If people do get it into two days its generally because they have electives and pick subjects on the basis of the timetable...

The other thing is, two full days at uni 9-6 (with one hour break at lunch) is extremely tiring and a brain drain. I've done it this year and its difficult to stay concentrating - if you don't have to put it into two full days (and you live relatively close to uni), then I would recommend not doing it. Uni is quite different to school- so even though you think its fine because school were full days, uni is much more intensive.

The amount of hours you can work depends on how you find uni, how well you want to go, and how much of a social life you want. I think anything more than 20 hours a week is getting really difficult to keep marks up etc.

I do 16 hours of work a week, but dropped down to three subjects (rather than 4) because of it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
if you wanna work heaps, just put your tutorials on 2 days, and skip lectures. should still be able to pass (or even get HD).

Atlas

HSC
N/A
How many hours do you think I will manage to work during university at UNSw B.comm I'm planning to save up for a car then around (30 thousand ish) so I want to work as much as possible.

ALSO

Does anyone know the minimum pay I can get as an Australian citizen working at Mcdonalds or KFC etC?
If you can, keep your first semester free and just focus on uni - this way you get a good idea of how much hours/effort you need to put into a unit to get what sort of mark at the end. This will give you a better idea of how much work you can take on. As for contact hours - yes, contact hours are few for most university students, but consider that a) timetables don't always allow you to put it onto one day b) there will be assessments that will require more hours.

For your second question; you will be better off trying to find another source of employment if you are hoping to get that car within the time frame of your degree. You will also be in a better position looking for graduate jobs if your uni job had something to do with your degree/future career.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

ALSO

A lot of commerce students are bludgers and skip all their lectures and effectively have 4hrs/week as opposed to the usual 12. It would be easy to fit in full time work with 4 hours.

If you're 16 I think maccas pays you like $10/hr lol if you're 18 it's probably $15-$16

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
you can have 4 tutes on one day and just goto that day

but you are a fucking dumbass so i wouldnt suggest doing that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)