• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to become successful in HSC Economics? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Hey,

What should I be doing now to really boost HSC Economics performance? Right now, I don't seem seem to learn much from school and we hardly write any essays (which I know form a major part for Eco) or anything like that. We spend a lot of time copying notes notes as teacher's and student's textbooks are all out of sync (different Years). I wish to become a self independent learner for this wonderful subject, what should I do?

Thanks.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Economics students.

The most insecure of the lot.

cccclaire

HSC
I honestly don't see how people can find economics a hard subject. It's probably my easiest subject, although I do have a good teacher.

If you want to become a 'self independant learner', I would advise you to download the economics sylabus and just make notes on all the sylabus points.

And eco essays are easy, they're just like english essays but without all the flowery language.

cs01001

HSC
I understand most of the concepts, maybe not so clear on the Equilibrium/Cuve shifts etc :\

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I really like Economics. I'm doing reasonably well in it too, which shocks me a bit, but I'm happy. My weakness at the moment is essay writing, but my teacher constantly reminds us that since we've never done the subject before she doesn't expect brilliance straight away. The more practice you get, the better you'll become at writing Eco essays.

I bought the Excel guide to go with my textbook. I also refer to Riley photocopies occassionally. So, using those three sources, I'd like to think I'm getting a nice, rounded knowledge on the subject. If you're looking to be a more independent learner, I guess I'd recommend looking at other textbooks, and maybe doing those chapter review questions? They normally consist of essay questions, which you could use to practice with.

cs01001

HSC
Ha, Thanks WW the wise one!

Jachie: What other main textbooks do you use besdies Riley? I find Riley to be a bit repititive sometimes.

Black Hawker

HSC
Jachie said:
I really like Economics. I'm doing reasonably well in it too, which shocks me a bit, but I'm happy. My weakness at the moment is essay writing, but my teacher constantly reminds us that since we've never done the subject before she doesn't expect brilliance straight away. The more practice you get, the better you'll become at writing Eco essays.

I bought the Excel guide to go with my textbook. I also refer to Riley photocopies occassionally. So, using those three sources, I'd like to think I'm getting a nice, rounded knowledge on the subject. If you're looking to be a more independent learner, I guess I'd recommend looking at other textbooks, and maybe doing those chapter review questions? They normally consist of essay questions, which you could use to practice with.
Yeah. Same with me - I need to improve on my essay writing. I got my half yearly back today and got 78% (3rd or 4th in class/grade I think) - it was alright, but I felt I was not good enough...

I got 15/15 for multiple choice. Got 15/20 for short answers. And got 13/20 and 14/20 for my extended responses. The teacher said in one of my response that it was all over the place, and in another that I didn't put diagrams in it.

Do you think it is wise to buy a textbook for Year 11? Our year adviser told us not to waste our money by buying textbooks and getting tutor for year 11, as he said it wasn't important...

Evergreen

HSC
I reckon Economics is a hard subject. I find it probably the hardest subject after English. Understanding concepts is not hard. But writing a logical argument/essay on an economic concept is hard for most people.

This is why Im dropping Economics in year 12. I seriously suck at writing well structured essays and I only want English to be the only essay oriented subject that will probably drag my UAI down.

Also Economics is the most boring subject after English. All we do in class is summarize pages of a boring, black+white textbook. I seriously regret choosing Economics as a subject. But if you want to continue doing economics I think preparing essays is a good start. Also making detailed notes and knowing up to date info about the economy,etc.

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
Evergreen said:
I reckon Economics is a hard subject. I find it probably the hardest subject after English. Understanding concepts is not hard. But writing a logical argument/essay on an economic concept is hard for most people.

It is not that hard, it just there is alot of content and people cant handle it because they aren't interesting in economics. Dude how can u say its harder than english. MAN english u must do so much stuff man like linking texts and freakin numerous bloody techniques that u need to include in ur essays also in hsc exams man economics ask u generic questions which are usually the exact question from the sllyabus. Also essays in economics are usually more straight out and u cant bullsh*t like u can do in english.

Evergreen said:
Also Economics is the most boring subject after English.
It can be sometimes boring, but no way can it be harder than english!!!

just knuckle down when the hsc and trials come and u should be alright

simonloo said:
Economics students.

The most insecure of the lot.
what are trying to imply?

Last edited by a moderator:

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
Black Hawker said:
Do you think it is wise to buy a textbook for Year 11? Our year adviser told us not to waste our money by buying textbooks and getting tutor for year 11, as he said it wasn't important...
i dont think u need a tutor for economics, better if independant. I think the text book that i used in year 11 was Market Economy from leading edge, it was very good i didn't like excel

Black Hawker

HSC
I'm just thinking of not getting anything. Just use the text book the school gave us...I'll see.

Well for my last two assessments I've got 80% and 76%, so...?

shane23q06

HSC
the best textbooks for economics that i have come across are the Tim Riley ones. the john bulmer sreies is also good. Im prettu sure u can get these for both prelim and HSC.
and yeah what you heard earlier by making links between the content, is a must know! in the hsc course, you can practially link every topic in with each other.
Economics = Best HSC Subject. It's a shame they scrapped the 3U Economics course.

Black Hawker

HSC
shane23q06 said:
the best textbooks for economics that i have come across are the Tim Riley ones. the john bulmer sreies is also good. Im prettu sure u can get these for both prelim and HSC.
and yeah what you heard earlier by making links between the content, is a must know! in the hsc course, you can practially link every topic in with each other.
Economics = Best HSC Subject. It's a shame they scrapped the 3U Economics course.
Tim Riley Publications - that's the book that our class got, although its the 2006 version, which doesn't really make a difference...

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
The textbook our school gave us is Dixon's "The Market Economy - 2007 Edition". I don't know if I prefer it over Riley, but when you combine the two you get a pretty thorough understanding of the concepts, so I do recommend using at least two books. Whether you spend the money and by it, or maybe borrow it from your SS faculty if they have one to spare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)