• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How will you reach your goal??? (1 Viewer)

freedragon

HSC
How many hours a night will you study, and how long will u spend on each subject?

what study techniques will you use to get that ATAR you desire???

i really need some ideas on how to reach my goal of a 95 ATAR! right now, all i can come up with is study my butt of until i drop :( are study timetables a good idea and has anyone actually made an effective timetable that hasnt gone out the window within a week :confused:

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I've never set a 'specific' amount of time for studying
Keep doing it until you understand the concepts
its about quality, not quantity...

-JD

HSC
From what I've seen through experience and what I've read through these forums I think the key to success comes in application in class and regular revision. It really comes down to how much effort your willing to put in, but not going overkill (I think that there is a point where too much is too much and it can become detrimental if your studying so much to the point that your not sleeping proper hours and are too tired for school the next day). A good idea that a lot of people tend to recommend is making constant summaries, this means coming home from school of a day and summarising what you have learned that day, this means when exam times come your revising over what you have learned instead of being in a panic that you have a shit load of notes to write and limited time.

As for timetables, organisation helps for everything its one less thing you have nagging at your mind. Perhaps taking each unit deciding how much you want to spend studying for it a week and then making a timetable based on that, most people recommend 2 hours per unit a week for yr 12, its up to you what you feel is the right amount in year 11.

I hope you find this useful, I personally haven't employed any of these strategies as I haven't seen the need up until this point although I hope to change this year. Perhaps advice from someone who has finished their HSC would be better but this is what I think most successful HSC students tend to recommend.

-jd

freedragon

HSC
yeh thanks jd, i very much appreciate your advice. i had alreay planned to make summaries of my work regulary. for example, every time i finish a sub-topic or exercise, i would make a summary on that and hammer that into my head each night so that im not stuck memorising things at the last minute.

i have heard is that everything is loaded onto u all at once in senior years. so much to do and so little time, so i figure whenever im not doing sports, working, sleeping or eating, i would have to be studying :) :eek:

o well it shouldnt be that hard 4 me i guess, i dont really have much of a social life so woot less distractions for me

and my journey to hell begins :bomb:

-JD

HSC
Heh ahh well man its a 2 year haul and then school is history and the prospect of a new life on the horizon. Forgot to mention that I believe its still good to have a healthy lifestyle balance, so doing exercise (playing sports as you mentioned) is still recommended and work can give your brain some time off from studying.

Also i very much agree what Amogh said, its quality not quantity, its about studying the right stuff. I mean you can read the same page for 4 hours but is that really quality study? :p

Last edited:

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
Through hardcore studying and cramming :D Timetables, i find don't work for me. Creating a list what is needed to be completed for the day is more effective and flexible. I'll spend as much time possible, until the information FINALLY sinks in, well thats for me :) since i have short term memory loss :p

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
heh ahh well man its a 2 year haul and then school is history and the prospect of a new life on the horizon. Forgot to mention that i believe its still good to have a healthy lifestyle balance, so doing exercise (playing sports as you mentioned) is still recommended and work can give your brain some time off from studying.

Also i very much agree what amogh said, its quality no quantity, its about studying the right stuff. i mean you can read the same page for 4 hours but is that really quality study? :p
+1

musing

HSC
I won't revise daily, I'll probably give up that study plan within the first week of year 11.

Maybe I'll study once every 2-3 days and cram for exams + test.

Does anyone know how to limit procrastination and actually get the assignment done? I'm always pulling off all nighters.

:(

ATAR_boy

HSC
Heh ahh well man its a 2 year haul and then school is history and the prospect of a new life on the horizon. Forgot to mention that I believe its still good to have a healthy lifestyle balance, so doing exercise (playing sports as you mentioned) is still recommended and work can give your brain some time off from studying.

Also i very much agree what Amogh said, its quality not quantity, its about studying the right stuff. I mean you can read the same page for 4 hours but is that really quality study? :p
Good advice. Just pace yourself in the HSC. REMEMBER: Only study when you feel up to it, or else it is pointless as nothing will sink in.

Plus, it's better to realise what your limits are in the prelim year...(Limits as in how much you are able to study and remember; also, when exams are over, GO OUT, don't suffocate yourself) <-- Just a tip from a person who got 99.4 UAI..ahh, stupid Biology cost me my 99.85 :(

ATAR_boy

HSC
I won't revise daily, I'll probably give up that study plan within the first week of year 11.

Maybe I'll study once every 2-3 days and cram for exams + test.

Does anyone know how to limit procrastination and actually get the assignment done? I'm always pulling off all nighters.

:(
LOL, everyone procrastinates, just ask yourself why you are procrastinating instead of completing a school assignment! :)

-JD

HSC
Good advice. Just pace yourself in the HSC. REMEMBER: Only study when you feel up to it, or else it is pointless as nothing will sink in.

Plus, it's better to realise what your limits are in the prelim year...(Limits as in how much you are able to study and remember; also, when exams are over, GO OUT, don't suffocate yourself) <-- Just a tip from a person who got 99.4 UAI..ahh, stupid Biology cost me my 99.85 :(
Well done, nice UAI :D

What are you studying at Uni? (I'm assuming with a 99.4 UAI, you went on to further study).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You guys are in year 1 lol.

Just use this year to work out which study regime maximise your marks - work out how to study smart :)

-JD

HSC
You guys are in year 1 lol.

Just use this year to work out which study regime maximise your marks - work out how to study smart :)
YEAR 1!!! OH NO! could someone please tell me what the fuck MULTIPLICATION IS!?!?!?! lol :p

Tofuu

HSC
blood, sweat, and tears :spzz:

hmmm, i think i would have to start to paying attention in class more
and maybe a bit of revision when i have free time

dan2452

HSC
By hanging out in the library for lunchtime, (sounds really boring right now) and replacing Xbox Live with revision and study.

For those of you who got a good ATAR, were you still able to have a social life on the side, or did study take up the majority of your time? Approximately how many hours per week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)