• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC Tips (1 Viewer)

O

Omed62

My friend is having trouble with maths, scieces and he has his Trial in 3 weeks time. He is doing maths 2u and Ext 1.

Does any know what would be the most effective method to study for maths 2u/ Ext 1, how should study for the math Trial exams.

What would be the best textbook that explains concepts much clear and easy to understand.

For the Sciences ( chem, bio)- what would be the effective study method to learn all the content in 3 weeks. Should you make notes for sciences, what would be the best effective notes for chem and bio.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Hello

I think by now it is too late to make notes for chemistry and biology, since they are quite content heavy. Many people have posted their notes up on boredofstudies, http://ahmadshahidil.com/ 's notes are pretty good also. I suggest you revise with those. It really depends on how unprepared you are for your exams, but I would say, revise one section, and then do some practice questions (at least 3) from the HSC Success One textbook / or just past HSC papers online, and repeat. If possible, get somebody to mark your responses. If you aren't sure of how to answer the question, look at the answer. But make sure you're not doing this for every question. Another important thing is to understand what the different keywords mean - e.g. how would you answer a 'Describe' question? What about an 'Explain' or 'Discuss'?

But to be honest I'm not sure if it is possible to learn everything in biology and chemistry in 3 weeks from scratch, given that you have other subjects to study for as well. But tell your friend to do his best.

How much trouble are you having with maths? Maths in Focus is a great book for 2U and 3U, and explains concepts in a very simple manner. Same as always, have a look at the exercise questions, do a few of them, if you think you're good, head to do some practice questions from your past school / HSC papers.

And of course, if you still don't understand something, search the concept on YouTube.

All the best for trials,

Jenny. :)

O

Omed62

Hello

I think by now it is too late to make notes for chemistry and biology, since they are quite content heavy. Many people have posted their notes up on boredofstudies, http://ahmadshahidil.com/ 's notes are pretty good also. I suggest you revise with those. It really depends on how unprepared you are for your exams, but I would say, revise one section, and then do some practice questions (at least 3) from the HSC Success One textbook / or just past HSC papers online, and repeat. If possible, get somebody to mark your responses. If you aren't sure of how to answer the question, look at the answer. But make sure you're not doing this for every question. Another important thing is to understand what the different keywords mean - e.g. how would you answer a 'Describe' question? What about an 'Explain' or 'Discuss'?

But to be honest I'm not sure if it is possible to learn everything in biology and chemistry in 3 weeks from scratch, given that you have other subjects to study for as well. But tell your friend to do his best.

How much trouble are you having with maths? Maths in Focus is a great book for 2U and 3U, and explains concepts in a very simple manner. Same as always, have a look at the exercise questions, do a few of them, if you think you're good, head to do some practice questions from your past school / HSC papers.

And of course, if you still don't understand something, search the concept on YouTube.

All the best for trials,

Jenny. :)
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for you response, I really appreciate that

I personally have some questions: I really want to do medical science at UNSW, because I really love doing medicine afterwards. When would I need to apply and how should I apply. You be through the application process, could you please help me out.

I feel really sorry for my friend, he is sick at the moment and is trying his best. He really wants to do your course at University Medical science so he can get into dentistry becasue he thinks he may not get a high Atar.

So should he just revise some band 6 notes on the internet, would that be effective. For maths, I think your right, maths in focus could be good, but were can he get the book, he told me he has maths in focus for 2u but not ext 1.

Yeah, he told me he has trouble in maths ext 1, what should he do. For example, he said he doesn't understand how to answer some Trial maths ext 1 papers, especially the hard questions ( questions 5,6).

He also, does English Advanced: how should he prepare for his Trials.

Thanks Jenny, I hope you can help him out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lul

HSC
It's pretty obvious, your the alleged "mate" lol. But anyways, just use MIF2 & revise through some notes on BOS for physics. She is true. It is too late to start studying. I would suggest you start studying by revising through syllabus notes on this web site mate, and good luck.

O

Omed62

It's pretty obvious, your the alleged "mate" lol. But anyways, just use MIF2 & revise through some notes on BOS for physics. She is true. It is too late to start studying. I would suggest you start studying by revising through syllabus notes on this web site mate, and good luck.
Yeah, your right! I have trouble to pick which notes to study from. Is there any sort summaries of notes for chem and bio.

Sorry for what I said to your before, mate! I do apologize for what I said too you. I am so sorry, for give me.

I hope you get into law at uws, mate! Good luck "Internet hugs"

jnney

lemon
HSC
Sorry for the late reply !

You will be able to lock in your course preferences in september I think? I'm sure you're school will notify you about that, don't worry it.

As for English prep for trials, see the thread here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=306139

Where abouts do you live? I think Paramatta library has a copy, and maybe Strathfield library. You should do a search for the book online via the library website/call them up about its availability.

I don't remember what questions 5 and 6 are like in the extension 1 maths papers, but it's okay not to be able to answer every question. He can look at the solutions, and try to understand how a particular mathematical concept is applied. If in doubt, revise that concept in the textbook. Other textbooks that I think are great would be: Terry Lee and Fitzpatrick for revision.

If you are running out of time, revising with band 6 notes would be fine.

Regards,

jenny.

Lul

HSC
Yeah, your right! I have trouble to pick which notes to study from. Is there any sort summaries of notes for chem and bio.

Sorry for what I said to your before, mate! I do apologize for what I said too you. I am so sorry, for give me.

I hope you get into law at uws, mate! Good luck "Internet hugs"
Thank's for your reply brother,

I do certainly hope i get into Law at UWS, and if i do, i'm sure going to take a GAP year before i start Uni :)
I don't do either subject sorry, so i am of no use to you in this matter (no homo)

Stay Shredded

Regards

LUL

jnney

lemon
HSC
I forgot to mention something very important.

One way to ensure that you're revising exactly what you need to know for your exams are to refer to the syllabus of each subject that can be found on the board of studies website.

Lul

HSC
I forgot to mention something very important.

One way to ensure that you're revising exactly what you need to know for your exams are to refer to the syllabus of each subject that can be found on the board of studies website.
strong advice/13

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)