• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC year avoiding games? (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so are any of you, or have any of you, intentionally avoided getting games, because you know you'd waste alot of time playing it?
(particularly HSC year)

it's going to be pretty hard for me.
my hsc starts next term (im in year 11),

and gta IV for pc is coming out, mafia 2 is coming out next year, test drive unlimited 2 (apparently) is coming out next year, as is the godfather 2, and starcraft 2. (funny how they're all sequels eh?)

i completely avoided WoW for that sole reason.
not just for wasting time that i could be spent studying (i never study up untill recently), but i didnt want to waste my time in a pointless game (though you WoW fags will probably tell me otherwise).

so any suggestions?

i think after the HSC next year, im going to get all those games, and G25 steering wheel. hopefully i won't have to upgrade, as i got a new computer this year (q6600, 4gb ram, 8800gts). im pretty sure i can run all those games on max (if not, i'll just overclock) :p.

so how are you going to avoid games?
any tips?

taking your computer away seems to work,
but i need it for the internet.

seakebab

HSC
I'm not going to avoid games, I don't think I'd be able to cope, but you can always just limit yourself. Tell your parents to monitor your computer use or you could always just train yourself to not play games.

One measure I took was to not renew my WoW account only until the HSC is over.

I'm gonna be so pissed off if SC2 is released mid-next year, because I want to keep up with the meta-game from start to finish, and I probably will play it even if I tell myself not to.

Big fan of Starcraft, me is. :hammer:

You shouldn't have got a new computer. Especially with hardware that'll allow you to play games well into the next year.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i dunno man.

if i keep myself busy, ive realised i dont need games.

ie. when your at school camp,
the place always has something on (regardless of how entertaining it is),
and your always kept busy or doing something.

but yeahh.
nearly all the asians in my year are waiting for starcraft 2, so it'll be a BIGG bonus if they all get into it, and not do their work
heheh.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
theism said:
not just for wasting time that i could be spent studying (i never study up untill recently), but i didnt want to waste my time in a pointless game (though you WoW fags will probably tell me otherwise).

so any suggestions?

i think after the HSC next year, im going to get all those games, and G25 steering wheel. hopefully i won't have to upgrade, as i got a new computer this year (q6600, 4gb ram, 8800gts). im pretty sure i can run all those games on max (if not, i'll just overclock) :p.

so how are you going to avoid games?
any tips?

taking your computer away seems to work,
but i need it for the internet.
News flash, every game you play is pretty fucking pointless.

Trying to convince yourself that you're not wasting time is like having sex with another man but telling yourself you're not gay cos you were the one giving.

Also lol at having a steering wheel.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
AsyLum said:
News flash dipshit, every game you play is pretty fucking pointless.

Trying to convince yourself that you're not wasting time is like having sex with another man but telling yourself you're not gay cos you were the one giving.

Also lol at having a steering wheel.
i ment in the regard that you need to play a shitload of hours to get automatically be better then someone.

ie. diablo 2, or Wow,

as opposed to a short field game like battlefield or counterstrike, where your skills will retain

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
theism said:
i ment in the regard that you need to play a shitload of hours to get automatically be better then someone.

ie. diablo 2, or Wow,

as opposed to a short field game like battlefield or counterstrike, where your skills will retain
Haha, 'skills' fuck you make me laugh, next you'll be telling me how you train your fingers with weights!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
theism said:
skills

Great ability or proficiency; expertness that comes from training, practice, etc.
ie. fast reflexes in CS.

ffs, i dont play games that much.
Yep, I totally believe you :apig:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lulz.

ANNNIHALATION!!!!!!!!
i played games during hsc exam period. bad idea, but oh wellz.

seakebab

HSC
Wow asylum, you must hate gamers.

What's your problem? :hammer:

I guess you've just never heard of entertainment, when did entertainment ever have a point? (such as DVDs, movies and music)

Don't go into instruments and things, because they're not on the same line of entertainment as games are.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
If you want to procrastinate, you will find something to do it with. Avoiding a game wont help, you will instead waste time on msn or on bos or on facebook or watching tv or something else.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
seakebab said:
Wow asylum, you must hate gamers.

What's your problem? :hammer:

I guess you've just never heard of entertainment, when did entertainment ever have a point? (such as DVDs, movies and music)

Don't go into instruments and things, because they're not on the same line of entertainment as games are.
Roflmao, yep I absolutely hate gamers, spot on.

a) Read my comments again, namely :

News flash, every game you play is pretty fucking pointless.

See how you agree with me?

See also how this was in response to:

Now notice how I laugh at him for trying to justify how playing certain games is meaningful and others aren't, by stating that CS gives you skillz bro!?

No, then perhaps you might want to READ what I've said.

seakebab

HSC
Nope, I don't agree with you.

He never attempted to justify that playing certain games were meaningful. He said in WoW you have to play a lot in order to be better than the top players.

He ALSO did NOT state that playing CS "gives you skillz bro!?" he said that when you play a short game of it, your skills retain, and THEY do.

I don't understand why you hate gamers though, if you're just working off a stereotype I can understand.

.......and if you are, you're an idiot.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
not to be nitpicky; but
skills
Quote:Great ability or proficiency; expertness that comes from training, practice, etc.

ie. fast reflexes in CS.

ffs, i dont play games that much.
obviously insinuating that playing CS gives you "skillz"

but to each their own. I play games when I'm bored. It is a waste of time, but it's jsut there to do just that. Make time fly by. Especially on the train.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
seakebab said:
Nope, I don't agree with you.

He never attempted to justify that playing certain games were meaningful. He said in WoW you have to play a lot in order to be better than the top players.

He ALSO did NOT state that playing CS "gives you skillz bro!?" he said that when you play a short game of it, your skills retain, and THEY do.

I don't understand why you hate gamers though, if you're just working off a stereotype I can understand.

.......and if you are, you're an idiot.
Yep, thats right, all gamers are underage teenage boys who slave over their geeky toys. You've got me sherriff, please cuff me.

As shinji stated I think that part about 'skillz' was pretty clear, the insinuation was that CS gave you skills, then defined it as something which required training or practice, which would also mean investing in roughly the same amount of time as you would in perfecting any other 'skills' in other games.

Which all goes back to my original point, that trying to justify that by spending less time in say WoW, he's avoided the pitfalls associated with gaming, when it looks to be that he's invested the same amount of time playing other games.

Woo, logic is amazing!

(Also keep up the gamer-hating vibe, it's keeping me entertained.)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
AsyLum said:
Yep, thats right, all gamers are underage teenage boys who slave over their geeky toys. You've got me sherriff, please cuff me.

As shinji stated I think that part about 'skillz' was pretty clear, the insinuation was that CS gave you skills, then defined it as something which required training or practice, which would also mean investing in roughly the same amount of time as you would in perfecting any other 'skills' in other games.

Which all goes back to my original point, that trying to justify that by spending less time in say WoW, he's avoided the pitfalls associated with gaming, when it looks to be that he's invested the same amount of time playing other games.

Woo, logic is amazing!

(Also keep up the gamer-hating vibe, it's keeping me entertained.)
haha. No wonder you're an Honours student. You formulate your arguement so persuasively. XD

And btw, if you want to have proper "reaction/reflex" skills do a sport of some kind. It's good for you, and it requires you to think on the spot with pressure. Unlike those of CS where it's mainly "OO!! BAD GUY! POINT AND CLICK"

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Don't avoid games just manage your time appropriately. I've only really played COD4 and guitar hero this year. As soon as the HSC is over im going on a gaming spree. If you don't have the self discipline (common sense) and time managment skills to not waste all your time gaming you will fail the HSC anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)