• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hunger strike saves taxpayer dollars (1 Viewer)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Howard Sattler said that
"That up to 300 asylum seekers on Nauru are on a hunger strike should be welcomed by Australian taxpayers.
My rough estimates are that their refusal to eat for the past five days has saved us more than $50 000.
For that reason alone we should hope they continue their protest.
Howls of disgust from refugee advocates ignore that those who have taken the decision to go without food are acting of their own volition.
It is a challenge to the authority of the Australian Government to decide where their claims for asylum should be processed.
We can only assume their radical tactics are calculated to have the Gillard Government cave in to their demands to be transferred to the mainland.
They are being supported by the usual mob of bleeding hearts who believe their plight is more important than the thousands of other displaced people trapped in refugee camps around the planet by their lack of financial resources.
This hunger strike is the first major test of the government’s new “no advantage” boat people policy.
Five days into the protest it is holding the line.
In the unlikely event that the Nauru inmates reject sustainance for a protracted period and begin to fall ill it will be compelled to take action.
Should it cave in its policy will go down the plughole, surrendering the “asylum” to the ratbags who up till now have called most of the shots.
Before it reaches that stage, the government is entitled to take precipitous action to return the troublemakers to their countries of origin."

Bremjo96

HSC
I don't understand why anyone gives in to anyone going on hunger strike, if they want to starve themselves let them do it. It's a stupid way to protest and I don't understand how it works. You can't be responsible for them starving to death if your offering them a hot cooked meal and they refuse.

a c

HSC
I don't understand why anyone gives in to anyone going on hunger strike, if they want to starve themselves let them do it. It's a stupid way to protest and I don't understand how it works. You can't be responsible for them starving to death if your offering them a hot cooked meal and they refuse.
Some people aren't emotionless robots.

Frostbitten

HSC
Some people aren't emotionless robots.
Haha, so true. Its all to do with public appearance, I mean the government is not going to risk being the ones who are responsible for 300 deaths, at least that's how it will be viewed.

lovelyaid

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why would anyone care? It was their choice to come here illegally, if they want to stave, I say let them

lovelyaid

Banned
HSC
N/A
Haha, so true. Its all to do with public appearance, I mean the government is not going to risk being the ones who are responsible for 300 deaths, at least that's how it will be viewed.
At least it will be the end of the Labor government.

lovelyaid

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why would you not care?
The question is, why would you care in the first place. Why should some external force affect the way we live? Why should illegals come here and expect complete sanction? The fact is, they have come here illegally, knowingly what will happen. Subsequently is they want to stave, I say let them.

a c

HSC
Idk, I'm not a sociopath or ASD so I can't grok your reality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)